Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marauders @ Brassknocker - June 10th 11th 12th 13th 2016

Default Marauders @ Brassknocker - June 10th 11th 12th 13th 2016

The Marauders BrassKnocker Bash 2016

Episode IV – Oh dear, its happening again!

An open invite to all paddle folk.

Dates – 10th,11th,12th and 13th June 2016

Venue - Brassknocker Basin Society Camping Site

http://www.brassknockerbasincamping.co.uk/index.asp

Brass Knocker Basin
    Monkton Coombe
    Bath
    Somerset
    BA2 7JD
    (Entrance off of the B3108 50 yards east of the A36 traffic lights)

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/...772b0d61?hl=en

Cost - £8 per tent / shack / swagbag / caravan or motor home per night

Suggested Itinerary;

Friday; chill out and set up

Saturday; There and back paddle from Brass knocker basin, down the coal canal to the Dundas aqueduct and on down the Kennet and Avon canal to the George pub at Bathampton for lunch on the green next to the pub, and back - maybe further on to Bath top lock and the Sidney Hill tunnels if folks fancy it. Tunnels n back about 10 miles, pub n back about 6 miles

Sunday; There and Back paddle from Brass knocker basin along the K&A toward Bradford on Avon, taking in the Dundas and the Avoncliffe aqueducts, with lunch at the tea room or the picturesque Cross Guns pub at Avoncliffe or carrying on to the lock at Bradford on Avon, with its Tithe barn and waterside café. Avoncliffe n back, 5 miles, Bradford on Avon and back 8 miles

distances taken from Nicholson waterway guide No. 7

The canal is suitable for paddlers of all abilities with low stone put ins and get outs by the pubs, a portage trolley is recommended to get from the camping field up to the canal centre basin. There are no locks to portage on the suggested paddles.

There is also an option for more experienced paddlers to paddle the river Avon from Bradford on Avon past the campsite down to Bathampton. I have not done this myself (a couple of big weirs to climb down) but it is listed here;

http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/r...n-avon-to-bath

And mal grey, baldmanjump and others did it in 2014

Campsite facilities include,

A Large private field to ourselves next to the Brass Knocker Basin Canal Centre with easy access to the Somerset Coal Canal and the Kennet and Avon Canal. Note, the tarmac path up to the basin is steep in places but no steps. Portage trollies are an advantage.

Fresh water tap and waste disposal point. NO electric hook-ups

The site owner, Mr Young, is going to place a clean portaloo on site and hopefully arrange access to the washroom facilities at the canal centre.

Off the ground, no trace campfires are permitted at this site, Dogs are also allowed.

Don’t have a canoe? Open canoes and equipment can be hired by the day from Bath narrowboats at the Canal centre. http://www.bath-narrowboats.co.uk/el...t-canoe-hire-2

Day visitors can park in the canal center pay and display - but the gate is locked in the evening

No prebooking or pre payment needed, just an idea of numbers.

Payment to be collected by Twosugars or Kay (Woodworm's better half) on Sunday or day of departure.

And last but by no means least, a blog of the 2014 Brass Knocker Bash including the optional trip down the river...

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...t=brassknocker

Interested? Copy and add your name to the list…
    "I intend to live forever. So far, so good..."

woodworm (ted) twosugars (chris) and kay.

With a sales pitch like that, you've twisted my arm mate.....
    woodworm (ted) twosugars (chris) and kay
    BMJ & Mojo
    If I could only paddle like a doggie oughta paddle

BMJ & Mojo
    AdrianO - (provisionally)

Unfortunately, I have to go to a Rod Stuart gig on the 11th, however, I can join you for a day paddle on the 12th.
    If the weather and water levels are good I'll probably paddle to the tythe barn at Bradford-on-Avon, potage to the Avon and paddle back to Warliegh weir, portage back to the canal and paddle back to Brassknocker.
    ----------------------

I suspect I may be a figment of my own imagination.

@ Jarvimus , might come and join you for that.
    Might join in for the other paddles if I can find somewhere to camp near by.
    So we beat on,boats against the current,bourne back ceaselessly into the past.

Quote Originally Posted by silverbirch View Post
    @ Jarvimus , might come and join you for that.
    Might join in for the other paddles if I can find somewhere to camp near by.
    There's plenty of camping space at Brassknocker Majid

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianO View Post
    There's plenty of camping space at Brassknocker Majid
    You've got your beards and birches mixed!!!

Would be good to see you Ms Birch (could we not find you your own quiet corner with us?? A fair size field from what I remember)

Unfortunately as I understand it my dog is the cause, we tie her up whilst people are cooking but if left overs or empty tins or wrappers are left at low level Molly will try to get them.I have tried reasoning with her even shouting but it doesn't seem to work and a cattle prod or thrashing her seems rather extreme. I could however bring some windbreaks to make a compound around Silverbirch's tent to prevent Mollie’s access if this enables her to feel she could camp with us .

Breaking wind and blaming the dog is rather low.
    ----------------------

Thanks BMJ.

I have had to think a long time about what to write in reply here.
    As an original 'Marauder' and one of the people who named the 'Medway Marauders' in the first place, I regret having to say this as we used to have nice quiet camps and great evenings round the campfire chatting. But I will no longer be camping at the same site at group meets unless it is a 'dog under control' site. In fact I have been deliberating whether to come at all.
    Last year's Brassknocker meet was one of the worst camps of my life and if I had not driven all the way from Kent I would have packed up and gone home.
    There were 9 dogs on site, three quarters of which were totally out of control.
    I was constantly kicking dogs out of my tent, I left the bbq to get something from the tent and a dog was taking the steak off the grill.
    When you are in a tent all your food is at a low level, all the time not just at meal times. I have nowhere else to put it.
    It is not just a case of 'left overs and food wrappers' as you know Molly has got into my esky before now and eaten my food.
    Your friend at that meet was apologising every time she came past my tent as I was kicking their dogs out every time I saw her.

Doh - thank you for correcting my error!

Quote Originally Posted by BaldMan Jump View Post
    You've got your beards and birches mixed!!!

Would be good to see you Ms Birch (could we not find you your own quiet corner with us?? A fair size field from what I remember)

I take it that's a no then Lyn
    Last edited by woodworm; 12th-April-2016 at 08:12 PM.

[QUOTE=AdrianO;607466]woodworm (ted) twosugars (chris) and kay
    BMJ & Mojo

freeway (Brian)
    In the face of adversity there is always time for another paddle ! ...

I've got a couple of months to practice not falling out of my boat, so pencil me in. failing that, you get to point/laugh/take pictures of me falling out of my boat, so pencil me in anyway

BMJ & Mojo

freeway (Brian)
    aannddyyhh

Hi Aannddyyhh. Is that truly your name or have you a sticking keyboard,sorry

Welcome along,everyone falls out it's the viewing judges that award medals.
    for artistic impression and technique,my son Twosugars awarded me the bronze with a special mention for particular incompetence

See you at Brassknocker, Ted

Quote Originally Posted by woodworm View Post
    I take it that's a no then Lyn
    Yes it's a no.
    Even if I am walking without crutches by then I would not be up for hurdling a fence every time I wanted to go to the car.

A pogo stick no, a springboard no ,a gate ,ideal, sorry just musing aloud there Anyway get well soon Lyn

I'm a maybe for this, will confirm nearer. Maybe do one day and a night, if so definitely up for a river descent assuming levels are OK.

Quote Originally Posted by silverbirch View Post
    Thanks BMJ.

I have had to think a long time about what to write in reply here.
    As an original 'Marauder' and one of the people who named the 'Medway Marauders' in the first place, I regret having to say this as we used to have nice quiet camps and great evenings round the campfire chatting. But I will no longer be camping at the same site at group meets unless it is a 'dog under control' site. In fact I have been deliberating whether to come at all.
    Last year's Brassknocker meet was one of the worst camps of my life and if I had not driven all the way from Kent I would have packed up and gone home.
    There were 9 dogs on site, three quarters of which were totally out of control.
    I was constantly kicking dogs out of my tent, I left the bbq to get something from the tent and a dog was taking the steak off the grill.
    When you are in a tent all your food is at a low level, all the time not just at meal times. I have nowhere else to put it.
    It is not just a case of 'left overs and food wrappers' as you know Molly has got into my esky before now and eaten my food.
    Your friend at that meet was apologising every time she came past my tent as I was kicking their dogs out every time I saw her.
    Difficult one. Whilst I absolutely love having dogs about personally, I believe that they shouldn't be upsetting anybody else and that the humans who wish to come should have priority. I commend Lyn for raising her concerns, its all too easy to just sit back and say I won't bother mentioning it, and I'd never noticed the problem on a Marauders meet, possibly due to blithe ignorance on my part. I have been the on the receiving end of a Sausage Thief in the past though, but luckily this was a one off and I have forgiven Eira.

[IMG][/IMG]

So, whilst I'm not particularly keen on having to have dogs tied up, I do think due consideration should be given to having them on long leashes or similar on campsite, if they are not under close control. I have no problem with dogs coming up to me, I love their company and am happy to haul them off if they go for my lunch, but not everybody is comfortable with this and they shouldn't have to be.

Just my thoughts!
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

BMJ & Mojo
    freeway (Brian)
    aannddyyhh
    Mal (hopeful!)
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

I was unaware of such strong feelings concerning dogs ,Chris announced that dogs would be there so there was choice, in truth there was a lot of dogs.because two of my friends brought theirs.they will not be returning,I apologised last year for my dogs actions and in an attempt at humour to defuse the situation as amongst friends to no avail even with constructive suggestions to enable Lyn to camp with us. She had apparently told others she would not be returning ,in my ignorance I attempted to change her mind ,
    An instinctive reaction would be to cancel the meet but it will go ahead and people are at liberty to make their choice, Molly will be muzzled but it would be unfair to tie her up for hours. Should anyone want to organise a dog free meet I will happily make available the names and addresses of all mine and Chris' meet venues, i'll end by saying how hurt I was by the hatchet job done on me .

still in friendship,Ted

Perhaps just keep son's on leashes eh, Ted

Please don't cancel - Everyone has a choice if they wish to attend or not (this works both ways and I often chose NOT to attend certain events where dogs aren't welcome).

As a dog owner, I think I try to be respectful of others, but alas - he leaves his manners at home now and again - as do we all on occasion (I have far worse behaved children...the dog at least listens SOMEtimes). I am more than happy for someone to point this out to me if it has slipped under my radar.

I look forward to seeing those that will be there, and understanding of those that choose not to be.

Good luck with the leg Lyn - I'm sure there will be plenty more opportunity for paddles over the summer, so hope to catch up soon.

Right, now not to dismiss the thoughts and feelings above, but let's keep this thread relevant to who wants to come to this meet and get back on track....

woodworm (ted) twosugars-on-a-leash (chris) and kay
    BMJ & Mojo
    freeway (Brian)
    aannddyyhh
    Mal (hopeful!)

who's booking the sunshine...?

BMJ & Mojo
    freeway (Brian)
    aannddyyhh
    Mal (hopeful!)
    Jarvimus (Sunday paddle)

----------------------

BMJ & Mojo
    freeway (Brian)
    aannddyyhh
    Mal (hopeful!)
    Jarvimus (Sunday paddle)
    Nikjo (hopefully)

This sounds great, especially as I'm in the area. Unfortunately, I'll be away that weekend. . . I wonder though, have you thought of going downriver from the campsite, easy portage round Warleigh Weir, pull out just above Bathampton Weir at The Mill pub (good food). Then portage along Mill Lane, 1/4 mile, fine with wheels, pavement all the way, pretty level; to Bathampton, The George, and that nice barge café with excellent coffee and cakes, and back up the canal? Less hassle than doing the Avoncliffe and Limpley Stoke weirs, more entertaining than the canal both ways.... Have fun.

Adrian 1

The social worker in me wants to find a compromise, I am saddened that the friendliest bunch of people I have ever had the pleasure to spend time with are at slogging it out a bit on the website, but then as a free person I applaud freedom of speech.

But then we are all human and you can't please all of the people all of the time, I am usually good at helping people around me to compromise but this one is tricky as I can genuinely see both sides of the debate, I am going to sleep on it.

With regard to whether or not I can get there. Right now I am in the middle of organising a sea cadet weekend for the same time slot so I am unlikely to get there, which is sad as I love that lil field, the canal and the angel cafe too, as well as all you lot.

Whatever happens please be kind to each other it is I believe the spirit of the marauders?

Peace and Love

Dave

BMJ & Mojo
    freeway (Brian)
    aannddyyhh
    Mal (hopeful!)
    Jarvimus (Sunday paddle)
    Nikjo (hopefully)
    kmac

BMJ & Mojo
    AdrianO - confirmed
    freeway (Brian)
    aannddyyhh
    Mal (hopeful!)
    Jarvimus (Sunday paddle)
    Nikjo (hopefully)
    kmac

[QUOTE=AdrianO;608569]woodworm (ted) twosugars-on-a-leash (chris) and kay
    BMJ & Mojo
    AdrianO - confirmed
    freeway (Brian)
    aannddyyhh
    Mal (hopeful!)
    Jarvimus (Sunday paddle)
    Nikjo (hopefully)
    kmac
    Adrian 1

Oi! Nige, what d'ya mean "twosugars on a leash"!?! You worried I'll hump yer leg?

I was thinking about getting woodworm "Fixed" but then again, at his age...

There's a joke there about woodworm's worm and wood..... but i'm not going there!!!

Hey BMJ, paranoia is when you Think people are out to get you, thank you for removing the uncertainty. ,

Sorry to have to miss this one. Brassknocker Basin is a great place to camp and put in. I'll be down in Cornwall for my daughter's birthday that weekend. Have a good meet everyone.
    Sheila

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Albert View Post
    T
    Peace and Love

Dave
    You hippie

You're just jealous cos you weren't there, kaftans and long flowing blonde hair,and that was just me, plus Kay in her off the shoulder boilersuit and matching slingback wellies. That was the life eh Uncle Albert?

I was a child Ted.........

And I wasn't born...

And I wasn't born...
    But I am growing my hair long in case I get to the meet.....

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Albert View Post
    But I am growing my hair long in case I get to the meet.....
    I would... but it would just turn into a large (predominantly grey/white) afro!

Word is Adrian you weren't born ,you were quarried, Albert,you're fibbing again, I'm sure Robert Fulton mentioned you as a crew member during the war (the American Civil War) on his prototype Sub.

Anyway enough with the abuse ,not long now to the jolly anyone else for the merry mayhem.

Word is Adrian you weren't born ,you were quarried
    Hewn from the granite cliffs at Gwennap Head

You're just jealous cos you weren't there, kaftans and long flowing blonde hair,and that was just me, plus Kay in her off the shoulder boilersuit and matching slingback wellies. That was the life eh Uncle Albert?
    In 1969 I was just an itch in my dad's pa... NOOO!!! Quick, pass the mind bleach!

Not long now folks! will bring the lunar lander if anyone has any spare firewood/unfinished joinery/garden sheds...
    Last edited by twosugars; 22nd-May-2016 at 02:24 PM.

Hmm rapidly moving on.... Now looking good to get to brassknocker. Fri night camp - sat paddle & camp sat night. Got some old timber too.....

BMJ & Mojo
    AdrianO - confirmed
    freeway (Brian)
    aannddyyhh
    Mal (hopeful!)
    Jarvimus (Sunday paddle)
    Nikjo (hopefully)
    kmac
    Rockhopper + Frockhopper + Doghopper in a cage or on a bit of string (all hopeful - dependent on Frockhopper's work),

...if there's room!
    Juvanile delinkwit, vaguely faffing around with a pair of pliers. Du skal ikke tro at du er bedre end mig!

BMJ & Mojo
    AdrianO - confirmed 
    freeway (Brian)
    aannddyyhh
    Mal (hopeful!)
    Jarvimus (Sunday paddle)
    Nikjo (hopefully)
    kmac
    Uncle Albert
    Rockhopper + Frockhopper + Doghopper in a cage or on a bit of string (all hopeful - dependent on Frockhopper's work),

...if there's room! 

Hi Rocky and family, if Frockhoppers boss on the coal round won't give her time off I'll send my Mrs to sort him out, she bump starts Jumbo jets at Gatwick. Loads of room at the site ,here's hoping you can make it.

Cheers Ted.

PS Thanks Albert ( how can I call someone so much younger Uncle )
    Last edited by woodworm; 24th-May-2016 at 08:46 PM.

Hi everybody and Brian and uncle Albert I have a long memory put me on the List please Ted Adrian 1 .

[QUOTE=Uncle Albert;611601]woodworm (ted) twosugars-on-a-leash (chris) and kay
    BMJ & Mojo
    AdrianO - confirmed 
    freeway (Brian)
    aannddyyhh
    Mal (hopeful!)
    Jarvimus (Sunday paddle)
    Nikjo (hopefully)
    kmac
    Uncle Albert
    Adrian 1 ( And his pet bear )

Bear ???

He is called Brian and sleeps in the tent next to me you can Hear him at night growling very loud specially if he's had brandy

BMJ & Mojo
    AdrianO - confirmed 
    freeway (Brian)
    aannddyyhh
    Mal (hopeful!)
    Jarvimus (Sunday paddle)
    Nikjo (hopefully)
    kmac
    Uncle Albert
    Ceibach & 1 & dog (well behaved now as too old to get into mischief - dog not the &1)
    Cheers,

Ceibach

Cruising n' bruising!

Hi Ceibach glad you can make it , see you there.

The Loggers and Holly the logdog will be along on Saturday morning and staying til Sunday pm. Looking forward to it

[QUOTE=Ceibach;611935]BMJ & Mojo
    AdrianO - confirmed 
    freeway (Brian)
    aannddyyhh
    Mal (hopeful!)
    Jarvimus (Sunday paddle)
    Nikjo (hopefully)
    kmac
    Uncle Albert
    Ceibach & 1 & dog (well behaved now as too old to get into mischief - dog not the &1

Loggers & miss Holly logger

Do we know if the gate code is per last year?

[QUOTE=logger158;612237]The Loggers and Holly the logdog will be along on Saturday morning and staying til Sunday pm. Looking forward to it

Yippee, or am I too old for such expressions of exuberance ? See you there Guys. On a general note firewood is always welcome,don't make me have to cuddle Kay for warmth ,she's of a nervous disposition already ��

BMJ & Mojo
    AdrianO - confirmed 
    freeway (Brian)
    aannddyyhh
    Mal (hopeful!)
    Jarvimus (Sunday paddle)
    Nikjo (hopefully)
    kmac
    Uncle Albert
    Adrian 1 & his pet bear
    Ceibach +1& dog
    Loggers & miss Holly dog

Mr woodworm sir do we need a gate code this year?

Do we know if the gate code is per last year?

Chris is contacting Richard the site owner this weekend and will PM all confirmed attendees with the gate code.

Brian there is no need to call me sir ,I was poor myself once, before I got Kay the coal round before her day job started . a stroke of genius I thought.
    Last edited by woodworm; 3rd-June-2016 at 09:07 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast