Thread: Fun with poles and ropes - Edinburgh March 5th

Default Fun with poles and ropes - Edinburgh March 5th

HI folks, I`m running a trad skills workshop on Saturday in Edinburgh. Focus will be on poling and rope work in a gentle moving water environment. This will be suitable for paddlers at or around 3* looking to take their skills to the next level. Three spaces available.

The focus will be on selecting the right strategy for the environment and improving efficiency and effectiveness, travelling both up and down-stream.

Most importantly, it looks like the sun will be shining, ...so come and have some fun, with quality coaching thrown in for free. Who knows, in future you might decide to leave the paddle in the car, and just take the pole

Nick

Ah, I'm having different fun with poles and ropes this weekend - the kind where the rope is used to hang the poles over a rapid to test your skill at paddling in between.

Do you even have a paddle, or just a pole?

How hard can it be?

Quote Originally Posted by JimW View Post
    Ah, I'm having different fun with poles and ropes this weekend - the kind where the rope is used to hang the poles over a rapid to test your skill at paddling in between.

Do you even have a paddle, or just a pole?
    Playing with poles on rapids is fun but slalom poles would get in the way - mind you, good practice for dealing with low hanging trees on the river.
    I do paddle now and again

Hee, hee...my first try at poling "in anger" on a river that would have been impossible to paddle up.
    Spent a fun 4 hours poling, lining, snubbing, wading, stumbling, slipping up and down the Water of Leith in Edinburgh.
    Looking at the map now I think we probably only made it about 1km up the river, but the going did seem quite tough, rocks and shallows everywhere to catch you out. Trying to find the exact right line and pole strokes to get you up the small rapids was as much a mental puzzle as a physical work out.
    Great fun, I'd be up for another go at it again (but preferably in a location with little more depth of water!).
    Thanks for the instruction Nick !
    RogerM