Thread: Waterways & Environment Updates

Default Waterways & Environment Updates

Hi all

We've started doing a monthly news update showing what the Waterways and Environment team at British Canoeing have been working on. The first one for January is available at this link - http://www.britishcanoeing.org.uk/ne...d-environment/

Comments, feedback, suggestions all welcome!

Thanks - Chris

Chris Page, W&E Manager (Central), Chris.Page@britishcanoeing.org.uk

Hi
    i just wanted to say that from my somewhat remote perspective, the recent communication work you guys are doing is a very positive step. Credit where it is due.
    MarkL
    www.canoemassifcentral.com
    Canoe outfitting packages in the Massif Central

Thanks for the info.

Yep got to agree with Mark, Its been really good seeing you get involved on here and keeping us posted on things that you are doing.

Thanks!

Thanks for the update, good positive things in there. Please make it a regular feature if you can.

Calefactio orbis? Culus meus!!

Indeed, as Mark says, its been great to see you engaging with the paddling community. Thanks for the update, there are some particularly interesting titbits in there, and its great to actually know some of what it going on in the background. For myself, I was interested to hear about the Abbey River, as I noted how shallow the changes had made it a few months back, the Rother, as its relatively local to my work but am yet to paddle it, and the Tyne "agreement" which is a nationally important one and interesting to see how British Canoeing's views on this have altered.

Keep up the good work, and thank you!
    Covering as many malmiles as possible before being distracted by the pub!

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Excellent update Chris, well done.
    Peter

Great to have you here and insightful to read the information you are sharing.

Canal Surveying with Canal & River Trust (CRT) ..... and wed love to hear from paddlers whod like to get involved!
    Self and I suspect many others on SOTP would be more than happy to help (although I'd need a 'droid app).

Yes it is good to have communication on what is going on in England...

But please can we have something done to provide those of us who are forced to join SCA because of where we live with a cheaper means to access the canals and rivers that Canoe England members already enjoy in their membership fee.
    As a non competitive canoeist there is no real value in me being a member of SCA when joining Canoe England would provide me with the more useful licence but I am not allowed to do that because of where I live.

The last time I enquired about this I was told I would have to be a member of both SCA and Canoe England to get the rivers and canals licence. That is not doing much to help me access what is already available.

If a licence for individual canoes owned by clubs at a low rate per boat can be supplied why can't you do the same for us who live in Scotland and want to visit England from time to time?

Many thanks Chris and colleagues, a very useful update. It's really good to see that in some areas there are small fruits emerging as a result of your labours. Keep up the good work and please keep sending the up-dates.
    Mike

11. Default

Quote Originally Posted by cankay.org.uk View Post
    Great to have you here and insightful to read the information you are sharing.

Self and I suspect many others on SOTP would be more than happy to help (although I'd need a 'droid app).
    Thanks - once we have more detail on it we'll let you know! Initially it's in the East Midlands, but maybe opportunities further afield too.

12. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Quercus View Post

But please can we have something done to provide those of us who are forced to join SCA because of where we live with a cheaper means to access the canals and rivers that Canoe England members already enjoy in their membership fee.
    As a non competitive canoeist there is no real value in me being a member of SCA when joining Canoe England would provide me with the more useful licence but I am not allowed to do that because of where I live.

The last time I enquired about this I was told I would have to be a member of both SCA and Canoe England to get the rivers and canals licence. That is not doing much to help me access what is already available.

If a licence for individual canoes owned by clubs at a low rate per boat can be supplied why can't you do the same for us who live in Scotland and want to visit England from time to time?
    I've asked around to see what the situation would be with this. The licence benefit is negotiated as a member benefit for British canoeing and Canoe Wales members (where I believe members can pay extra to include licences?). We the differing access situation in Scotland my understanding is SCA didn't feel this benefit was relevant to their members. There is an agreement between the home nations not to take residents from outside their borders.

Quote Originally Posted by BC Waterways&Environment View Post
    I've asked around to see what the situation would be with this. The licence benefit is negotiated as a member benefit for British canoeing and Canoe Wales members (where I believe members can pay extra to include licences?). We the differing access situation in Scotland my understanding is SCA didn't feel this benefit was relevant to their members. There is an agreement between the home nations not to take residents from outside their borders.
    That's about as good as I got when I enquired last time and just as unhelpful in my view.

The licences are automatically included in the CE membership fees and cover multiple navigation authorities.

Full membership of Canoe England costs 42 and for SCA 35 or 24 for a Recreational member. So some figure between 7 and 18 accounts for the cost of the licence for all the rivers and canals available to CE members for a whole year.

If I go for a couple of weeks holiday in England the cheapest licence for one navigation authority only, say the Canal and Rivers Trust, will cost 23.62 (monthly as its cheaper than 2 x weekly).

If I plan to use rivers in other navigation authority areas at the same time I need to buy an additional licence as well.

For example to canoe the Thames near Oxford and then go up the Oxford canal covers two authorities, Environment Agency (8.50 weekly licence) and Canal and Rivers Trust (14.16 weekly) so that's costing 22.60.

Of course if I want to take more than one holiday in England the cost will go up significantly.

It just seems to me that the governing bodies in England and Scotland are not very interested in helping us ordinary recreational paddlers who live in Scotland get cheaper access to England's waterways.

14. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Quercus View Post
    That's about as good as I got when I enquired last time and just as unhelpful in my view.

The licences are automatically included in the CE membership fees and cover multiple navigation authorities.

Full membership of Canoe England costs 42 and for SCA 35 or 24 for a Recreational member. So some figure between 7 and 18 accounts for the cost of the licence for all the rivers and canals available to CE members for a whole year.

If I go for a couple of weeks holiday in England the cheapest licence for one navigation authority only, say the Canal and Rivers Trust, will cost 23.62 (monthly as its cheaper than 2 x weekly).

If I plan to use rivers in other navigation authority areas at the same time I need to buy an additional licence as well.

For example to canoe the Thames near Oxford and then go up the Oxford canal covers two authorities, Environment Agency (8.50 weekly licence) and Canal and Rivers Trust (14.16 weekly) so that's costing 22.60.

Of course if I want to take more than one holiday in England the cost will go up significantly.

It just seems to me that the governing bodies in England and Scotland are not very interested in helping us ordinary recreational paddlers who live in Scotland get cheaper access to England's waterways.
    Hi - I'm sorry this is unhelpful. From my discussion on this topic internally today we are a little restricted in what we can do to open it up any further. As you suggest, it was for a time offered that if someone is already a SCA member they could add on BC membership to get the licences. But there aren't the systems in place to actually manage and monitor that. The agreement in place regarding residency are to try and reduce the potential for any nation to draw in paddlers who could/should be registered against their own home nation.

I believe Canoe Wales decided to keep this benefit due to their being some Canal & River Trust managed waters in Wales. Scotland doesn't have any, and also has the much more recognised system of rights to access water too.

I'm sorry you feel it's unhelpful - its certainly not because we have no interest in helping Scottish paddlers. If you can put your thoughts in an email to myself I will pass it to the right people here, and follow it up to make sure you get a full answer, but I don't believe under the contracting arrangements we have (between home nations and between navigation authorities) we are able to open it up wider.

Thanks, Chris (chris.page@britishcanoeing.org.uk)

Quote Originally Posted by BC Waterways&Environment View Post
    There is an agreement between the home nations not to take residents from outside their borders.
    I think that, in legal parlance, that is called 'restraint of trade'. It might also be a 'cartel'. Either way it appears to me to be contrary to English and European law?

Initially it's in the East Midlands, but maybe opportunities further afield too.
    I'm based in the East Mids (Leicester), so feel free to PM as and when I can help at all.

17. Default

Apologies for the delay in putting February's update on here. You can see it at - https://www.britishcanoeing.org.uk/n...d-environment/

as always any comments and suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Chris, W&E Manager (Central) - chris.page@britishcanoeing.org.uk

Hi there, can you provide me contact details for "Our Regional waterway Adviser in the South West, Pete Thorn" please.
    the EA appears to be redesigning a number of weirs in the southwest and from the look of it have little intention of accommodating us paddlers, what representation has there been?

I know a bit more but not for open forum, I would like to discuss

cheers steve

19. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Sit and Relax View Post
    Hi there, can you provide me contact details for "Our Regional waterway Adviser in the South West, Pete Thorn" please.
    the EA appears to be redesigning a number of weirs in the southwest and from the look of it have little intention of accommodating us paddlers, what representation has there been?

I know a bit more but not for open forum, I would like to discusse
    Hi Steve - Pete's email address is - rwa.southwest@britishcanoeing.org.uk. It would be useful if you could copy in my equivelent for Southern England too - kevin.east@britishcanoeing.org.uk.

We do work as closely as possible with the EA on many aspects of works in rivers - and they do have pretty good guidance documents internally now regarding safe design for paddlers (and others). Implementation can be an issue in some places, so it will beinteresting for the team in the area to hear from you with any specific concerns.

Best wishes

Chris

thank you, steve