Thread: Will my hobie cat rudder work?

Default Will my hobie cat rudder work?

First post here. I am compiling parts and wood to add a Bermudan sail to my 16' aluminum sportspal canoe. It will have an ash mast step and thwart with appropriate diagonal bracing, and an ash leeboard cross brace. I'm using 2 leeboards I picked up for now - I may build a solway dory style board. I planned to build a retractable rudder mounted on pintles on a clamp on transom, but I just picked up a cheap hobie cat rudder - 9.5" wide at its widest and about 34" long overall. I think 26" or so will be in the water when its down. I'll build a plywood rudder head for it with at least an uphaul. I think it is heavy enough that I won't need a downhaul.

Does anyone see a problem using this rudder? Can it be too long?

My model is the SD Expedition Bermudan. I think I have a US source for mast, boom and sail, but I haven't acquired those parts just yet.

The Hobie rudder is bigger than i would make, but it will be a good foil shape so it should work well. The larger blade will have a bit more drag, but the good shape should reduce it over a smaller blade that isnt well made. You may still want a downhaul on it. If the blade swings back in use it can get very heavy on the tiller.

Thanks Dave. The other thought I had was to cut off the top 8 inches or so, reshape the top and redrill the pivot hole. But I don't know if it's solid up there or if there is a core or cavity or what. I'll probably try it as is.

I would try it as it is first. If you decided to shorten it i think it might be best to take it off the bottom. The top might be designed to take the stress better. The bottom isnt really stressed so shouldnt matter other than filling if it has a void.

I used a hobie cat rudder w/ a wooden cassette to hold it and to serve as a pivot pint to rotate the foil up. I do have a down haul & find it to be minimally valuable (only in 12kts plus), as the weight of the rudder helps to keep it down. Works great. The rudder is solid PVC so you should have no troubles shaping the head so it rotates nicely in the cassette. I used 1/4" threaded rod as my pin upon which the rudder cassette pivots on the 2 pair of gudgeons (no pintles). 1 piece vs 2 pins. I'm in Texas if you'd like to talk sometime let me know & id be happy to answer any questions about how I constructed & mounted it. -Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Matt Allinson

The weather is here, wish you were beautiful
    - Jimmy Buffett

Thanks Matt. Glad to hear it has been done before. I have been researching and compiling a list of all of the bits I need and I'm close to finally ordering wood, mast and boom materials and assorted hardware.

I ordered my ash wood this morning from a local supplier and boxes of hardware, etc. should be arriving soon!

Quote Originally Posted by klb67pgh View Post
    Thanks Matt. Glad to hear it has been done before. I have been researching and compiling a list of all of the bits I need and I'm close to finally ordering wood, mast and boom materials and assorted hardware.