Thread: River Awe

Default River Awe

Can someone tell me when the next scheduled release on the River Awe occurs?
    Lucas
    --------
    He who dies with the most stories, wins.

I don't have a date, but there has always been water in it whenever I've gone. Mind you , it scared me off the first time........it was out of its banks and I was on my own (well, plus dog1).

If you can get a date fixed I may be able to get you a loan of a Dagger Rival in return for some coaching. I seem to recall you paddle OC1 back home?????

Ignore the out of date guide which mentions weir hazzards after the 'normal' take out (a long carry over fields). The weirs have pretty much gone, and if you go right to the end the carry out is about 10 - 30 yards depending on the tide.

A must do river for all open boaters.
    If it wasn't for the rain in our lives there would be no rivers. X 2

The river is nearly always at a steady level on Sundays as they do a flow for the fishes. (some summer/winter variation)
    The 'releases' make the river much bigger and everybody and there dog is on the river playing (in playboats).
    Done it once in a canadian and a few times in a kayak (including first river trip with 6 swims and near hyperthermia)
    Can confirm that the weir at the end has gone.
    Philip

I paddled more OC2 than OC1, but would totally enjoy paddling OC1 in a proper WW boat (Its been 6 months!!) Not sure about how much useful coaching I could give as you seem to know your way around the boat. Christine and I plan to take the pakboat down the river next time there's the bigger release. Just trying to confirm that it doesn't conflict with Inchcailloch trip.
    Lucas
    --------

The Awe is scheduled to release this Sunday, the 30th, with "plenty of water". We will be heading there with the Edinburgh Kayak Club, but hope to see some other open boaters there.

We will be leaving Edinburgh 9:30ish.

If anyone is coming, can we borrow your air pump to fill our airbags?

syotr,
    Lucas
    Lucas
    --------

monkey_pork is offline a wind age, a wolf age - before the world goes headlong Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by lucas
    The Awe is scheduled to release this Sunday, the 30th, with "plenty of water". We will be heading there with the Edinburgh Kayak Club, but hope to see some other open boaters there.

We will be leaving Edinburgh 9:30ish.

If anyone is coming, can we borrow your air pump to fill our airbags?

syotr,
    Lucas
    Tempting as it sounds, it's still hundreds of miles away, so ... any chance of some pictures ?

Quote Originally Posted by monkey_pork
    Tempting as it sounds, it's still hundreds of miles away, so ... any chance of some pictures ?
    In Lucas's absence (I think he has transponded for a couple of weeks) here's a picture of Lucas, the Pakboat and a slightly worried looking bow man on the magnetic boulder - it's the third one in the set.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/ekc/pool/
    Veni Vidi Natavi

monkey_pork is offline a wind age, a wolf age - before the world goes headlong Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by urchaidh
    In Lucas's absence (I think he has transponded for a couple of weeks) here's a picture of Lucas, the Pakboat and a slightly worried looking bow man on the magnetic boulder - it's the third one in the set.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/ekc/pool/
    Thanks for that, it's entertaining seeing the entirely different postures adopted by the two of them.

How did that one end ?

Quote Originally Posted by monkey_pork
    ...it's entertaining seeing the entirely different postures adopted by the two of them.
    Lucas, and his S.O. Christine who was watching from the bank at this point, are both pretty useful in an OC2. I think it shows in the picture - Lucas seems in control while the chap in the front pulling the 'cross deck blind panic', though a solid C1 paddler, looks a lot less comfortable in the open.

The result - utterly swampled but remained upright. It's a folding Pakboat, there are some inflatable tubes inside the Gunnel which may have provided a bit of secondary stability, but they did well to recover.
    Veni Vidi Natavi