Thread: Hou-16

Default Hou-16

Maker's Specs

Length 16 foot 1 inch
    Width 37 inches
    Depth 14 inches
    Weight 34 Kgs
    Carrying Capacity 460 Kgs
    Standard set up, 2 seats, yolk and thwart, choice of wood web or plastic seats. This boat can also be set up with 3 seats if required.

Maker's Write Up

The hou 16 is all you need for a good trip! Be that a day out with the family or a multi day adventure. It will carry a heap of gear, or alternatively a lot of kids and all with ease. Its the big brother of the hou-15, funnily enough a foot longer! The extra length gives a slightly more efficient glide and improved tracking whilst the slight rocker aids turning when required. Once again with good depth it will handle the white lumpy stuff and help you just as much whether you are on the lake or river. A fantastic modern all rounder.
    Style, once again itís the big brother of the 15 so a modern style boat that performs exactly as you would want it to. Great carrying capacity whilst being kind to you on the moving stuff and not to much of a handful in the breeze! The flatter, slight rounded hull is well proven and will makes paddling this boat an enjoyable experience what ever your skill level and what ever your water of choice. Also a big hitter with outdoor education centres.
    The only thing you have to fear is Mergatroid the vengeful, man eating bear.

Hi there everyone, I've just recently purchased a hou prospector 16" from Windermere canoe and kayak. I've been out on esthwaite water and coniston these past two weekends and had a great time! First impressions are that it is well built and very little flex in the boat when me and the missus are paddling tandem. It turns nicely and is fairly quick but what stood out the most for me was the stability, even when still and fishing or looking over your shoulder there's no feeling of instability which is a major plus for me! When paddling into the wind it was surprisingly quick, the boat seemed to cut through the waves with ease and stayed very dry, although if allowed the wind would turn the canoe around very quickly. All in all I think it's a good canoe and look forward to many more outings in it.

Cheers Tom

Nice review. Was that the Hou 16 I helped to the water on Coniston on Sunday?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Yeah that was me haha, thanks again for the help! I could do with getting a canoe trolley

Sometimes they're more trouble than they're worth, that said mine took a bump when my boat got stuck on a rock without me in it. Finding paddling partners to help with the lifting and carrying is a good alternative.

Yeah I was planning on storing the trolley above the rear bouyancy block (when I get round to fitting them) but like you say their vulnerable to damage exposed like that. I usually paddle solo or with the missus both mean I have to carry everything haha. Do you paddle canoe as well as kayak?

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    Yeah I was planning on storing the trolley above the rear bouyancy block (when I get round to fitting them) but like you say their vulnerable to damage exposed like that. I usually paddle solo or with the missus both mean I have to carry everything haha. Do you paddle canoe as well as kayak?
    I certainly do. Got a Ranger 16 as well as the kayak. Was out on the Eden last week.

Sounds nice, is it a poly boat? Always wanted to paddle a river as I've never been able to due to the shuttling. Except from the Caledonian canal where me and my mate parked at either end etc.

Yeah. Nice and heavy. On the lookout for something lighter.
    If you ever fancy a river to give me a shout. We must be long over due a trip on the middle Derwent on here

That would be great! River Derwent sounds good. I'm not to far from the lakes. When were you thinking?

I'll get a thread up and see who's about.