Thread: Burn's Night Recce & Rehearsal Paddle 9-10th Jan 2015

Default Burn's Night Recce & Rehearsal Paddle 9-10th Jan 2015

Burn's Night Recce & Rehearsal Paddle 9-10th Jan 2015
    "Don't know where, don't know when, but I know we'l meet again..let's just hope it's a sunny day eh!'

All I do know, is that I've got two days off on the 9th & 10th of Jan 2016...So,what better a chance for a Burns Night Recce and Rehearsal Paddle prior the day itself!..and of course naturally, an overnight stop back out under the stars once again!

A chance now to try (a very long awaited) Haggis Stuffed Whole-Roast Tandoori Chicken with Clapshot & Whiskey Gravy!

4 Suitable volunteers now required...or even up to a maximum of 8, if you all bring along your own wraps!

Location still now very much to be decided apon, with all suggestions considered.
    Keep yer paddles wet, and powder dry....

MB

`..`. ><(((( ((>
    `..`..`. ><((((>

Ill be a maybe Mark dependant on location.
    If in doubt, hit it with a hammer!!

Anchor Church Caves!

I'm sure Burns wrote about Robert the Bruce... and the Bruce hid from the English in some caves... and I'm sure there was something about a spider...

Makes sense to me.

Anchor Church Caves sounds interesting; would there be any central heating??

Would like to join the recce, not least as I owe you some kerching Mark, but does kinda depend where. Cool to get Chrimbo out of the way first, but will deffo keep eye on this thread.

hmmmm.....would like to attend, depending on location.

I'm also interested depending on whether location is doable from 'East of England' (wife lending the car, etc.)
    :-)
    Ian

Normally I'd be well up for this, but January is a no go for me this year.

Have fun!
    The early bird may catch the worm... but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Guys...
    Surrounded now as I am by the overwhelming Yuletide festivities...with only just another 4-500 miles to go before I too can finally knock off for a few days!
    I'll have to leave this thread for the time being, whilst wishing you all a very Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!
    I'll then get back to you and this thread after I've got through the impending 'Hiroshima Turkey Legs' and bacon & sprout mountains that are coming my way! ....It's Christmas!

With the best of the seasons greetings to you all, have a good 'un!

Mark

Happy Christmas Mark

Missed this post before xmas due to house move and lack of broadband (thank you SKY).
    Can't make the recce as at Keilder water with the Scouts, but hopefully make the main event will keep an eye out for it.

Cheers

Gary and Marcus

AN OVERDUE UPDATE:

Whilst presently enduring a work schedule that can only be best described as UNRELENTING over the Christmas and New Year period, with no signs now of any let up in the coming weeks, I have now revised my plans to suit. So, rather than just cancel and concede to it all.... "Never give up!" (As I keep telling my boy, and that works fine for him!)

So, in a nutshell, as that's all I've got time for right now, the general revised outline plan so far...

Weekend 9-10th Jan 2016
    ; Overnight Stop (ONS) with Burns Night Rehearsal & the Haggis-Stuffed Tandoori Chicken on the 9th NOW CANCELLED.Recce to still go ahead on the 10th. Starting out AM from Fleet. Hants.. on the Basingstoke Canal with 2hr paddle to location, with 1hr (Quick! ) 're-warmed' lunch followed by return paddle, Masala Chai & medals!

Weekend 23-24th Jan 2016: WORK IN PROGRESS...
    Now, probably not so much a Burn's Night evening... more A Sunday Lunch the Day Before Burns' Night.
    Including an ONS on the 23rd, for those who may wish to come along, who's journeys maybe over 2hrs in duration to reach Fleet. With an overnight 'improvised camp' in a sheltered wood with room for small tents, individual basha's, bivvies & hammocks. (With some nearby parking for those wanting an early getaway on the 24th after lunch)
    Sunday Lunch 24th... lunch at 1300hrs:
    With either Haggis Neaps & Tatties and Whisky Sauce/Gravy or Venison Stew?...Still yet to be confirmed.
    Those not wishing to shivver half to death in the sheltered wood the night before have the option of either a 2, 3 or 4.5hr paddle on the Sunday morning from either Fleet, Crookham Village or the legendary Winchfield Hurst car park, where one day no doubt,there'll be a blue plaque installed with Mal Grey's name engraved apon it!

Still working on some options...

Whilst juggling the usual hedgehogs, and spinning those plates of life!
    Last edited by Bonarmbj; 2nd-January-2016 at 03:27 AM.

MB

`..`. ><(((( ((>
    `..`..`. ><((((>

P.S.
    Happy New Year!

Quote Originally Posted by Bonarmbj View Post
    P.S.
    Happy New Year!
    Happy new year Mark, have you tried the Tandoori chicken and Haggis yet? dying to see how it turned out.
    Cheers
    Tim

Paddles a Prospector

Happy New Year Mark . Unfortunately too far from me on both occasions so will be counting myself out. Enjoy your reccie and burns day feast
    If in doubt, hit it with a hammer!!

Time now to spit the gum out and walk some...I can't do both at the same time!

Per,
    The caves at Anchor Church would be perfect to be honest, and also offer a reasonably central location for us all to meet. Will no doubt use these caves again.... But this time however,after a somewhat challenging Christmas & New Year's work schedule I just need some time 'off the road' for a week-end's break....Some time off the tarmac!

Tim,
    PM to follow once I'm done here!

Jimmyads & Dad,
    Don't know where, don't know when, but I just know that we'll...burn wood again!

Update for this coming Sunday coming soon, said in one of those gravelly American voice-overs that you get when you're sat at the cinema! -"Pa, pa, pa, pa-dum!"- said in my best Pearl & Dean!

MB
    Last edited by Bonarmbj; 5th-January-2016 at 01:51 AM.

Happy new year Mark.
    My plans have changed for the better and I'm now able to join you this Sunday for the recce, if it's still on.

Martin
    There are three types of people in the world:
    Those who can count and those who can't.

Martin,
    My plans often 'change for the batter'...especially when there's some cod wrapped in the middle of it!

The recce's still on fella... So, if you and any others would like to come along for the ride, you're all more than welcome.

Meet at the car park & put-in at Reading Road South, at the junction with the A323 Aldershot road as you enter Fleet from Church Crookham (easy to find on Google Maps) at 1030hrs

The car park is now unfortunately a pay & display affair !! ( 2.40 for up to 3hrs, 2.50 for up to 4hrs & 6!..for over 4hrs.. Mon-Sun 8am-6pm. (Shocking!)
    There is however, free parking in nearby streets, such as Dinorben Avenue and a small canal side lay-by for 5-6 cars on the Aldershot road (See Google Street Maps for details) Another (limited) option would be to park on Velmead road where it joins the A323 Aldershot road close to the canal bridge at Pondtail. The best man for advice on this would be the local guide... Bald Man Jump.... Over to you Nigel!

The General Outline Plan for the Recce:
    Depart Fleet : 1100hrs.
    Arrive location, with 'built-in' brew stops along the way! 1230-1300hrs.
    Followed by hearty victuals and mugs of Hot Bloody Mary Soup, including the quick look round... 1300-1400hrs
    Depart Location 1405hrs...with an estimated time of arrival back at Fleet being, before it gets too dark! (Bring head torches, just in case! )

That's the detailed planing bit over!
    (The sub-title now reads: Meet at 1030hrs and we'll play the rest by ear... )

MB

Provisional plans now for the week-end Saturday 23rd - Sunday 24th January.
    Saturday 23rd: A paddle in and overnight stop for those who may be interested.With a pre-pre Burn's Night themed evening! Numbers may have to be limited here, pending the upcoming recce. (To be confirmed).

Sunday 24th:
    A Pre-Burn's Night Lunch on the Banks of the Basingstoke Canal at 1300hrs. With Venison Stew (or goulash?) with Clapshot for up to 12-15 paddlers, which I can just about do for 3.50 a head. (Shiny beads and mirrors also accepted as currency on the day! )

MB

`..`. ><(((( ((>
    `..`..`. ><((((>

P.S.
    Having made a mental note to add to the above post, and notice now that it's not there...doh!
    I need to add that I'm reserving 6 places of the 12-15 now available for the surviving veterans of last years campaign. Some of which I've heard from, some who are now unable to make this years Southern push, and some that I'm keeping my fingers very much crossed to hear from...

Until such time that I can confirm all the numbers from 1-6... there's room at the table for numbers 7-12/15.

You know what to do!

P.S.
    Having made a mental note to add to the above post, and notice now that it's not there...doh!
    I need to add that I'm reserving 6 places of the 12-15 now available for the surviving veterans of last years campaign. Some of which I've heard from, some who are now unable to make this years Southern push, and some that I'm keeping my fingers very much crossed to hear from...

Until such time that I can confirm all the numbers from 1-6... there's room at the table for numbers 7-12/15

7. Hemlock (including shivering in a hammock)

You know what to do!
    There are three types of people in the world:
    Those who can count and those who can't.

Hi Mark,

Going to have to miss this now. I'm on dog watching duty, with everyone else heading to sunnier climes that weekend.

Even if I could fit four hounds into a canoe, we'd be spend half the night fending them off the food, the other half chasing them across the fields of Fleet...

Have a good one.

Eton on the banks of the River Thames between Windsor and Slough

I'm hoping I'm one of the 6!
    Fran

Photobucket stole my sig

Quote Originally Posted by Fran View Post
    I'm hoping I'm one of the 6!
    It's written in stone!

MB

`..`. ><(((( ((>
    `..`..`. ><((((>

Per,
    Sorry to hear you that you cant make it, but there will be another time, and that's for sure.
    In the mean time hang on to them hounds fella!

MB

Quote Originally Posted by fran View Post
    i'm hoping i'm one of the 6!
    :d :d
    Fran

Photobucket stole my sig

Mark,

Myself and Brian (Freeway) will be in attendance please.

We have a slightly different plan - as Brian hasn't paddled all of the canal and is ticking off sections - we are planning on an earlier start, and heading east up to Ash Lock, and then back to meet you guys at Little Mexico for lunch. We'll keep radio communications open

As you say, the parking at Pondtail Bridge is limited - only space for 2 or 3 cars and it is often used by dog walkers. Also on an S-bend in the road, which can be 'interesting' crossing road with canoe on head! We'll be launching here, but doing a 5-10 minute portage from my house.

Looking forward to it.
    Last edited by BaldMan Jump; 8th-January-2016 at 12:16 PM. Reason: typing nonsense
    If I could only paddle like a doggie oughta paddle

How early Nige? I'll probably paddle from the garden and meet you at Ash lock.

Hi Pete

depart between 08:30 and 09:00. Aim for Ash lock around 11:30. back to Little Mexico for 13:00

(all timings are vague guestimates - but it will come together on the day! )

So, whether you guys decide to paddle-in from the East or indeed the West, let's face it, it's still going to be lunch at the Cookoo's nest!

MB
    (Rockhopper: How's my English getting on?)

Hi Mark
    I can make the paddle tomorrow now. I'll be heading in from the east with Sirus.
    Cheers
    Andrew

Hi Mark,

Been humming and ha'ing about popping down for the recce, but as you have plenty of excellent company, and its 2.5hrs drive each way for me, I think if I get out tomorrow it'll be to paddle across a couple of flooded fields nearby.

Have a great day all.

Jon

I'll see you at the car park http://www.paddlepoints.net?PP=3403 at 10:30. May have company!
    Fran

Photobucket stole my sig

Jon,
    Every paddle trip that I do is just a dry rehearsal in preparation for the next one...

I'll see you at the main event!

MB

`..`. ><(((( ((>
    `..`..`. ><((((>

As far as dry rehearsals go....this Sunday looks pretty damp. But, who cares!

The Bloody Mary Soup is done, and I have much tinned haggis & peppers packed & ready to go for the recce!...

With a tarp that's very much still soaked from last week-end..what better a time to get out there and get it dried!

MB

`..`. ><(((( ((>
    `..`..`. ><((((>

Fran, Andrew (Barzi),
    Be sure to bring yer Haggis spoons along!

MB

Mark

If there is room for another one I will meet you at the put in.

Stewart

Great day! Despite a late threat of rain, it remained just a threat (even a bit sunshine at some points). Mark's food was a tasty as ever - thanks mate. And the company was just about tolerable....

Cheers all.

Thanks all for a great day and fantastic food, cant wait for the real one
    In the face of adversity there is always time for another paddle ! ...

Glad you had a good paddle, see you for the main event.

I ended up on the Wey this afternoon, as I wouldn't have made it over in time.
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

For many, a short paddle I know. But, the aim that day was very different, yet pleasantly achieved....and the weather held!
    So, that's 9 boxes outta' 10 ticked for me!

Thanks to all for turning up and hope all enjoyed the day as much as I did...a short paddle has to be better than no paddle at at all!? (Even without the expected Swan attack!)

Back in the saddle now for a few days, with several more ideas to iron out before I post an outline plan for the week-end 23/24th Jan. Which will be loosely themed around a Burn's Night dinner/gathering, with a slightly different format this year.

More to follow shortly, including a change of the so far suggested menu...there'll be Haggis in the new 'un alreet!

Back now to juggling those same old hedgehogs whilst spinning the plates of life...with one hand down!

MB

`..`. ><(((( ((>
    `..`..`. ><((((>