Thread: Firelighting Scrapers and Carriers

Default Firelighting Scrapers and Carriers

Since Ray Mears popped onto our screens a good few years ago now, more and more people have discovered the joy and even thrill of lighting fires with a "firestick", "firesteel" or "ferro rod". They come in many different sizes and designs but they all work in the same way, by scraping off shavings with a steel scraper, which then immediately oxidise and ignite into white hot sparks.

I've used these tools for well over 40 years and given that ferrocerrium has been around since about 1903, I'm sure others have also!

Sadly, I've seen a few really nasty injuries caused when people try to use a knife in conjunction with ferro rods, including two occasions where people severed tendons in their fingers. The other down side of using a knife for tinder production, is that if you use the cutting edge to scrape for example birch bark, you will inevitably damage the edge.

I wanted something more practical and most importantly; pretty much safe in use, especially in cold wet hands and conditions such as you might encounter while paddling and came up with the tools I'm offering for sale here.

They are meant to be used specifically with ferro rods, such as "Light My Fire", Ray Mears "Firestick", "Fireflash" or any other rod type fire starter.

IMPORTANT:The carriers are made to accommodate only rods of the same diameter as the ones mentioned above!!!

Smaller diameter rods will simply slip out of the sleeves provided.

All the scrapers are made from recycled machine blades, have squared off edges and while you cannot guarantee that someone can't hurt themselves with this tool, it is without doubt many times safer than a knife used for the same tasks.

Here's what they are for and how they work:

This one covers the carrier, tools and reasons for avoiding using a knife quite nicely I think?:

I've a few other fire lighting videos that might be worth a look for clarification if required

I've got quite a few odds and ends in the way of both basic scrapers and scraper/carrier sets available. Everything is completely hand made so don't expect perfect dimensions, stitching or shapes! You are guaranteed solid, long lasting workmanship and top quality materials

here goes:

All the above are basic, general duty scrapers for producing tinder from natural materials and for spark production from ferro rods or "firesteels" ( see the videos), they mostly have ash handles but a couple have oak-it's pretty difficult to tell unless you're close up to be honest They are all around about 5" or so long-give or take!

I've left the serrations on some of these, while others are smooth on both edges. I prefer all smooth myself but it's up to you.

If you want a hole for a lanyard, just let me know and I'll sort it out for you at no extra charge

I'm asking 12.50 each inc postage for any of the above

Then we come on to scraper and carrier combo's to which you then add your own firesteel.

Below, left to right:

Long ash handled scraper and open carrier-24.50
    Scraper with waxed zebrawood handle and open carrier-22.50
    Scraper with brown, sam brown stud closed carrier-24.50
    Scraper with black and tan, embossed, sam brown stud closed carrier-25.50
    Scraper with zebrawood handle and open carrier-22.50
    Scraper with medium red antler handle, open carrier with European water buffalo leather front panel-24.50

all the prices include p+p

Now paddling Either a Gumotex Palava 400 Or a Gumotex Solar Pro 410c and LOVING IT!

The tan carrier, third from the left is SOLD

cheers

Steve
    Last edited by rancid badger; 16th-November-2015 at 03:47 PM.

Now paddling Either a Gumotex Palava 400 Or a Gumotex Solar Pro 410c and LOVING IT!

Update:
    Large handled scraper and open carrier on the left is now sold.

If you'd like an idea of the quality and range of my work , take a look at this:

I don't make much these days due to aches and pains but If you'd like to commission something, just let me know and We'll see what may be done

Regards

Steve

latest update:
    Medium red antler handle/carrier sold. ( to a co-worker!)

Steve

PMs sent
    Last edited by MarkL; 18th-November-2015 at 07:23 PM.
    MarkL
    www.canoemassifcentral.com
    Canoe outfitting packages in the Massif Central

Red face

Sorry Mark, pm on it's way-most embarrassing! ( blxxdy kindles!)

Steve
    Last edited by rancid badger; 18th-November-2015 at 07:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rancid badger View Post
    Sorry Mark, pm on it's way-most embarrassing! ( blxxdy kindles!)

Steve
    just in case the pm remedy didn't work ... I've sent a reply in answer to your question. Hopefully you'll get it
    MarkL

I've also answered the previous PM Steve.

Can't recommend these enough
    He also made this tinder carrier for me fantastic work.......note, that's not a life-size caravan

~
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by mayobren View Post
    note, that's not a life-size caravan
    Even I could light a fire with that much tinder!
    -------------------------
    You! Off my planet!

Update-pms to Matt and Mark, otherwise no changes currently

Steve

PM sent re the zebra wood scrapers with open holders.

Sorry Lime, both the sets you mention were sold yesterday morning, pm returned however and all is not lost!

best wishes

Steve

ps: To any and all:- if you don't see what you want above, just ask and as long as you don't need the goods at very short notice, I can sort out the odd bespoke commission or two.

Hi,

I really like the tinder carrier with the firesteel & scraper on each side & the sam brown stud (the one with a caravan in the background). Could you do me one of these in brown with some decorative embossing on the leather please ? If so, how much would it cost please ?

Kind regards,

Chas

Journal Entries

Just want to say got one of these some time ago in leather carrier, same as one on right in last photo,

its been great and and now lives in coat pocket and constant companion on trips, get one you'll not be sorry

just checked got mine Jan 2013
    Last edited by bikemec; 31st-December-2015 at 07:51 PM.
    JD
    He knows not where he's going, For the ocean will decide, It's not the destination, It's the glory of the ride

Thanks very much for the feedback Bikemech, everything I make is made to last and it's good to hear how my work is standing up

Chas: I've got a combo pouch in dyed through black but nothing in brown I'm afraid and until I can sell a few more bits and pieces, I can't really replenish my raw material stocks

Cost would depend on just what type of leather was used, how much bespoke decoration, etc.

Cheers

Steve

Thanks Steve,

Can I see a photo of it please & how much would it be ?

Otherwise any idea how long it might be before you can re-order brown ?

Kind regards,

Chas

Quote Originally Posted by ChasDWarren View Post
    Thanks Steve,

Can I see a photo of it please & how much would it be ?

Otherwise any idea how long it might be before you can re-order brown ?

Kind regards,

Chas
    PM sent with details Chas.

Cheers

Steve

latest update- various pm's replied to and this is my current "stock":

1 antler round handle -15
    2 light ash, long handle -14
    3 dark ash short handle with s/steel ring -13.50
    4 medium ash -13.50
    5 medium oak with s/steel ring -14

6 medium ash -13.50
    7 cherry with s/steel ring -14
    8 medium zebrano -15
    9 larger zebrano with copper detail - 16
    10 medium zebrano with brass detail -16

detail shot of zebrano handles

they all come with a paracord loop and spring toggle and you can have plain olive, reflective olive or blue ref, yellow ref, red ref, kelly green ref subject to availability. P+P and paypal fees are also all included.

any questions, please feel free

Steve

Hi Steve,

I like both No 2 & No 10 to go with that brown leather case, firesteel & tin I hope you can do for me !

Chas

Oh, for preference with leather lace & toggle please.

Chas

Hi Steve,

Are we any closer to these in Brown please ? Also I have an old Billhook I am fettling up & would like a (brown) leather sheath for it. Can you help ?

Chas

Sadly, the interest in these has dried up and so given I can't justify purchasing a full side of leather for a single commission, I find I'm not going to be able to offer a bespoke service for the foreseeable future.

I've got a pouch in progress that is brown (dark havana) but its made from bridle leather which is not suitable for dyeing, tooling or embossing. It's also a lot more expensive than veg tan so when its done I'll just put it up for sale and if it goes it goes

Sorry Chas but I'm currently unable to help with your requirements.

Cheers

Steve
    Last edited by rancid badger; 5th-February-2016 at 04:49 PM.

That's a great shame Steve, but I understand.

Would you be kind enough to let me have first refusal on the "last" brown one you are doing ? I accept that it won't be tooled but if you could send me a photo & price, I'll give you a quick decision.

Thanks,

Chas

It is a shame such bespoke and quality items cannot be sustained. Tried to follow what items if any are still available so apologise if I am chasing ghosts. Is the Black and Tan with stud, third from right in original post still available? I would like to purchase with the scraper if available.

thanks

Hello Kevin, you're in luck that one is indeed available!

I need to sort out what's what and do another update on the thread. It'd be a lot easier if you could edit threads for more than an hour after posting but I understand why things are as they are.

I'm back at work till about 7:30pm tomorrow but I'll pm you with details when I get home.

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve,

How you doing with the Dark Havana in Bridle leather ? If that 's your last brown one, I would be really interested please ?

All the very best,

Chas

Thanks Steve, luck is on my side! No rush so let me have the details when you are ready and I'll make the necessary payment . Many thanks

Hi Steve,

How you doing with the Dark Havana in Bridle leather ? If that 's your last brown one, I would be really interested please ?

All the very best,

Chas

Don't worry Chas, its well along now but work keeps getting in the way! I left it on the bench in kit form for a couple of days,hoping the little elves might pitch in but alas they were having none of it! I've got the matching scraper and firesteel ready so I should have it done by this time next week if not before .

I'll pm you as soon as I've finished and sorted out the pictures.

ps PM. Sent to Kevin by the way

Excellent - looking forward to it !

Pm responded to. No rush and take it steady. 😀

Payment sent. Many thanks

Item received with thanks. Great quality and very pleased. Great doing business with you.

thanks,

Thank you Kevin, I hope they serve you well.

best wishes

Steve

Hi Steve, do you have any of your scrapers still available?

Adrian

Plenty left Adrian, I just need to redo some photographs and get them up here. I've got a couple of sets ready to go which I'll be putting up shortly but if it's just scrapers then it'll be tomorrow afternoon.

right then here we go:

A black set with ash handles:

This set is 35 including postage

And a very dark, mottled brown/black with zebrano handles:

Also 35 due to a cosmetic defect in the stitching on the back

Cheers

Steve
    Last edited by rancid badger; 19th-February-2016 at 09:17 PM.

Excellent - a set would be ideal

Steve,

I just wanted to say a huge thank you for the superb fire-lighting set just received today. It is everything I hoped for & more.

What's more thank you for even filling the tinder tin. Silver birch & fatwood - perfect. I wasn't expecting that. Very much appreciated.

As predicted my daughter is very jealous - she can't wait to inherit it & I'm confident it will be going strong way past me !

By the way, just out of interest, I can guess the S of SAC, but what is the rest ?

Kind regards & thanks again,

Chas

Thumbs up

Steve,

I just wanted to say a huge thank you for the superb fire-lighting set just received today. It is everything I hoped for & more.

What's more thank you for even filling the tinder tin. Silver birch & fatwood - perfect. I wasn't expecting that. Very much appreciated.

As predicted my daughter is very jealous - she can't wait to inherit it & I'm confident it will be going strong way past me !

By the way, just out of interest, I can guess the S of SAC, but what is the rest ?

Kind regards & thanks again,

Chas

I'm glad you're happy with it Chas, I build everything I make to last and try to always use the best materials too. With even fairly heavy use, it should certainly outlast me on this world I was lucky to spot the piece of bridle leather on my last trip to Leprevo, its fantastic stuff to work with and almost bomb proof.

I'll pm you with the answer to your query

kind regards

Steve

right latest update:

the four flap closure versions are all available at 35 a set, which includes 4.40 for first class recorded delivery and the brown open one is 28 but does not include a firesteel.

brown/black/tan mottled:

very dark, bronze green, embossed:

tan, "worn" or if you prefer-"weathered"?

black,embossed decorated:

open tan/black trim;

any questions please ask, I've got tindablades on their own if you want one for a separate kit or what have you, as well as firesteels, and I can also do the odd bespoke commission from time to time, depending on material availability and current finger joint condition

cheers

Steve

I'll take the brown set top right please.

PM incoming.

Can't recommend these enough
    MarkL

Steve's leather work is just gorgeous. These are excellent value.

Chas

Mine just arrived today. It is fantastic. Better in the flesh than the photos and smells gorgeous too!

Thumbs up

Sadly, I reckon as long my bodily functions continue to work, I'll never make a photographer

I'm glad you're happy with the set and the leathery scent

Cheers

Steve

Steve,

If you ever get the chance to acquire some more brown leather, I would love to commission you to do a leather sheath or two .....

Hope you are keeping well.

Meantime my firelighting kit still sits on my desk, gets admired daily & sniffed occasionally !

Best wishes,

Chas
    Quote Originally Posted by rancid badger View Post
    I'm glad you're happy with it Chas, I build everything I make to last and try to always use the best materials too. With even fairly heavy use, it should certainly outlast me on this world I was lucky to spot the piece of bridle leather on my last trip to Leprevo, its fantastic stuff to work with and almost bomb proof.

I'll pm you with the answer to your query

kind regards

Steve

sniffed occasionally !
    So it's not just me!

Default Brown Leather

Quote Originally Posted by firedfromthecircus View Post
    So it's not just me!
    Hi again,

Don't suppose you have a source of Brown Leather now ?

Chas

Hi rancid badger

Are you still making the fire scrapers and carriers?

If so i would like to order one

Thanks

Ewan

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk