Thread: Loch Chon

Default Loch Chon

Has anyone paddled this loch while they have been in the Loch Ard area?

The SCA touring guide seems to imply that there was some restriction on this loch at some time in the past.
    (Possibly because it is entirely within Forestry Commission land and there was or still is a byelaw preventing boating on water on their land. I know this as I used to be a forester)
    However the FC is a fairly enlightened organisation as far as recreation goes and I guess it may not be an issue anymore except if there are wildlife concerns for some waters. They usually put up signs if it is not allowed.

I paddled it a while back (April 2005) and its a very nice little loch with access right by the shore - roof rack to water in one easy move!

Q

I've paddled it several times and very nice it is too, except for the amount of litter on the islands.

There have always been anglers present when I've been there: we had a long friendly chat, no bother. (but then I didn't suggest that they take their litter home, that might have put a damp on things (I was out numbered!))
    If it wasn't for the rain in our lives there would be no rivers. X 2

Loch Chon is a fine wee loch with easy paddling and plenty of little practice features. Done it Spring & summer. The exit stream can be 3/4 paddled in flood, then its drag the boat over the bank & fallen tree!

Philip

I think the touring guide says somewhere that access was restricted on Loch Chon because it is part of the Loch Katrine catchment, in which case I would guess that restrictions might remain until they are removed from Loch Katrine. If there are no Scottish Water signs advising of restrictions then I would assume that access rights apply.