Thread: Broads Local Access Forum - URGENT!

1. Default Broads Local Access Forum - URGENT!

Hi everyone. I was at a meeting with the Broads Authority yesterday, and it was flagged they currently have a gap on their Local Access Forum for someone to represent canoeing. These forums can be a great chance for people to put across the views and concerns of many recreational outdoor activities (no need for the person to be 'just' there to represent canoeing). In my experience from the ones I've had interaction with the LAFs do have a strong role in helping steer and guide local authorities on developments related to access to the outdoors.

They involve four afternoon meetings per year - and beyond that individuals can broadly get involved as much or as little as they wish too.

You can find more information here - http://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/b...l-access-forum

They need an application in by the 3rd November. Sorry to not be able to give more of a heads up.

You can get application forms direct from the Broads Authority, or I can email any out.

Best wishes

Chris Page, W&E Manager - Central, chris.page@britishcanoeing.org.uk

2. Default

Hi all

I've heard from the Broads Authority that they are still looking for - and are very keen to find - a canoeing representative for the Broads Local Access Forum. If anyone knows anyone local to the area who might be suitable, they can hold the applications open until next week.

Just to clarify/confirm, anyone who joins a Local Access Forum does so as an individual, rather than as a representative of a particular organisation. The aim is to get people who can represent the views of the broader community of users.

We can provide more info for anyone potentially interested.

Thanks

Chris

I will do it Chris. I paddle the Broads a lot. I am UK Head of the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association and an active member of the OCA. I am based in St Ives On the Great Ouse.

PM me any links and details to complete. Better than having no representation.

Regards,

Nick Dennis
    Get Paddling!

Blott

Well done Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Blott View Post
    I will do it Chris. I paddle the Broads a lot. I am UK Head of the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association and an active member of the OCA. I am based in St Ives On the Great Ouse.

PM me any links and details to complete. Better than having no representation.

Regards,

Nick Dennis
    Top Man. Very good of you to step in and participate.
    Cheers to you I'll now go and drink a lot of wine to toast your efforts.
    MarkL
    www.canoemassifcentral.com
    Canoe outfitting packages in the Massif Central

OK

I have been advised that I am appointed to represent canoeists on the Norfolk Broads Local Access Forum. My terms of appointment are:-

Members of the Broads Local Access Forum should:
    (i) be representative of access land and public rights of way users or other interests relevant to the Broads;
    (ii) provide an independent view rather than reflect the views of any particular organisation;
    NS/RG/BLAFConstitution/p3of6/061109
    (iii) support and pursue opportunities to publicise the work of the LAF, obtain feedback from their own organisations and the general public; and
    (iv) be willing to serve for an initial period of between one and three years.

If there are any issues that you would like me to raise relating to canoeists use of the Broads do let me know and I will raise them if they are pertinent and reasonable. Best to PM me.

I have the first meeting next Wednesday and thereafter quarterly.

Nick
    Get Paddling!

Blott

Congratulations ...... erm, I think !
    well done for stepping up.
    MarkL
    www.canoemassifcentral.com
    Canoe outfitting packages in the Massif Central

Well done. Are you aware of the great Hoveton Great Broad debate? There's been a petition, which does not seem to have elicited a favourable response from the authorities. PM me if you haven't seen the e mails about this.

Well done! Where would we be without volunteers.
    Keith

I had my first meeting at the Broads LAF yesterday. So a quick update.

The meeting and approach is very positive. The previous LAF was disbanded and a new Forum formed made up of new and old members; the aim was to invite applications from all recreational users so we have, walkers, boaters, fisherfolk, etc etc represented. I was appointed to represent you and me as canoeists; I am the first canoeist that they have had on the LAF.

The Broads Authority were keen to point out that their approach is different to other LAF's over the country. Most others deal with access for walkers. On the Broads due to the nature of the area, their approach is to deal with:-

1. Access to the water. i.e. how do you actually get to the water to use it, see it, walk around it.

2. When you get to the water, how you can actually get on it. This deals with slip ways, staithes, platforms etc.

I was asked to identify issues pertinent to canoeists and what can be done to improve matters and encourage more canoeists to come and use the Broads. So my initial wish list and items already identified by the BA and in hand include :-

1. Update and improve the list of Canoe Launch Points. Once this is updated I will circulate a copy via this forum and the OCA website and FB page.

2. Identify and set up new Canoe Trails and Routes. The Broads Authority have already set up some so go and try them; there is one through Norwich City Centre which I have done and which was very good. See here http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...-just-Bootiful

3. There is already a scheme in hand to agree and allow canoe launching from Parish Staithes ( Including the well publicised one at Instead).

4. Try and improve issues at Coltishall Common and other locations to allow canoes to be lifted out. At present they have to be left in the water which can create an issue with hire craft trying to more and crushing canoes.

5. The provision and installation of lower canoe launching platforms at staithes In particular the need was identified at Gays and Neatishead Staithes. This will allow easier access for all.

6. The BA are wishing to improve the canoe portage at Horstead Mill replacing the wooden slipways with better platforms which are easier to use.

7. We had a discussion about the North Waltham & Dirham Canal. The BA are keen to extend the usable length
    of the canal and with my help we will negotiate with the respective owners and work out how much can be and is capable of being paddled above Horning lock which is the current start/turnaround point. I have agreed to go and do a full recce and see how much can be paddled from the top down. If we can do this there is the possibility of creating a fantastic route for canoeists on a section of water free of motor cruisers.

8. I have asked for clarification relating to the recreational use of the Trinity Broads.

9. Request to re-establish access to Hoveton Great Broad and Hudson's Bay which was estopped many years ago.

10. Working on the basis that canoeing is generally quiet, green, good for you and non evasive, allowing access past some "No Entry" signs which are mostly erected to prevent hire cruisers entering and mooring up. Confirmation of where additional access for non powered craft i.e. canoes may be allowed.

You can see that the BA through the LAF are keen to embrace canoeing on the Broads. At present we are way down the list in respect of numbers using the Broads, The largest recreational use on the Broads at present is in fact walking and not as many would imagine, boating.

The next LAF meeting is in March but I will continue to follow up the above points over the next 3 months. I will update this thread as and when I have further news. All good positive stuff really.
    Get Paddling!

Blott

This sounds excellent.

Can I, on behalf of all paddlers who occasionally visit the Broads, thank you for giving up your time on our behalf, and making a real effort to improve both access and relations with other Broads users.

Sounds like the start of something potentially very good.
    Last edited by Mal Grey; 10th-December-2015 at 07:53 AM.
    Covering as many malmiles as possible before being distracted by the pub!

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Can I, on behalf of all paddlers who occasionally visit the Broads, thank you for giving up your time on our behalf, and making a real effort to improve bith access and relations with other Broads users.
    Yes, thank you, Nick. Your efforts are much appreciated.
    B

Personally speaking, I think point 10 would be the change that would increase paddling enjoyment in The Broads more than anything else.

Well done Nick! This is how progress is made.
    Keith

The Broads are a paradise for canoeists. Winter paddling is great... Hardly any other boats and miles and miles of beauty to enjoy... I remember paddling in the moon light, heaven...
    Doug Dew
    "The best is yet to come" My Father

Quote Originally Posted by dougdew99 View Post
    The Broads are a paradise for canoeists. Winter paddling is great... Hardly any other boats and miles and miles of beauty to enjoy... I remember paddling in the moon light, heaven...
    Broads great for canoeists? Yes and no!

The much vaunted "magical waterland" is certainly special... and we've had many, many fine outings everywhere from Horstead Mill, the Dilham Canal, Hickling and Horsey to Surlingham, Hardley Floods, Geldeston Locks and Breydon Water... but throughout most of the network, discouragement from accessing the more appealing waterways, a paucity of stopping places and difficulties getting from the water to the top of the banks can leave us feeling singularly unwelcome!

For canoeists to feel truly welcome on the Norfolk Broads, efforts need to be made to provide places to nip up the banks, whether to take in the wider environment (often not visible from reed lined channels), or for a brew stop and opportunity to stretch out legs. In addition, as we don't generally like to sleep aboard in the manner of those on the larger vessels, we could REALLY do with a substantial extension of authorised "wild camping" spots.

The other thing the Broads Authority could do is challenge the sharp business practices of a certain, well known canoe hire business... but that's a long standing issue!

Website for the N. Walsham and Dilham Canal Trust, seems to be holding monthly work parties
    http://www.nwdct.org/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by henrycrun View Post
    Website for the N. Walsham and Dilham Canal Trust, seems to be holding monthly work parties
    http://www.nwdct.org/index.html
    That deals with just the upper section of the canal. It is the section immediately above Honing lock where we need to work on an access agreement. Although within the Broads catchment the canal, like many in the UK is in privately owned by several bodies. All we can do is make reasoned representations.
    Get Paddling!

Blott

19. Default

I had my first meeting at the Broads LAF yesterday. So a quick update.

The meeting and approach is very positive. The previous LAF was disbanded and a new Forum formed made up of new and old members; the aim was to invite applications from all recreational users so we have, walkers, boaters, fisherfolk, etc etc represented. I was appointed to represent you and me as canoeists; I am the first canoeist that they have had on the LAF.

The Broads Authority were keen to point out that their approach is different to other LAF's over the country. Most others deal with access for walkers. On the Broads due to the nature of the area, their approach is to deal with:-

1. Access to the water. i.e. how do you actually get to the water to use it, see it, walk around it.

2. When you get to the water, how you can actually get on it. This deals with slip ways, staithes, platforms etc.

I was asked to identify issues pertinent to canoeists and what can be done to improve matters and encourage more canoeists to come and use the Broads. So my initial wish list and items already identified by the BA and in hand include :-

1. Update and improve the list of Canoe Launch Points. Once this is updated I will circulate a copy via this forum and the OCA website and FB page.

2. Identify and set up new Canoe Trails and Routes. The Broads Authority have already set up some so go and try them; there is one through Norwich City Centre which I have done and which was very good. See here http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...-just-Bootiful

3. There is already a scheme in hand to agree and allow canoe launching from Parish Staithes ( Including the well publicised one at Instead).

4. Try and improve issues at Coltishall Common and other locations to allow canoes to be lifted out. At present they have to be left in the water which can create an issue with hire craft trying to more and crushing canoes.

5. The provision and installation of lower canoe launching platforms at staithes In particular the need was identified at Gays and Neatishead Staithes. This will allow easier access for all.

6. The BA are wishing to improve the canoe portage at Horstead Mill replacing the wooden slipways with better platforms which are easier to use.

7. We had a discussion about the North Waltham & Dirham Canal. The BA are keen to extend the usable length
    of the canal and with my help we will negotiate with the respective owners and work out how much can be and is capable of being paddled above Horning lock which is the current start/turnaround point. I have agreed to go and do a full recce and see how much can be paddled from the top down. If we can do this there is the possibility of creating a fantastic route for canoeists on a section of water free of motor cruisers.

8. I have asked for clarification relating to the recreational use of the Trinity Broads.

9. Request to re-establish access to Hoveton Great Broad and Hudson's Bay which was estopped many years ago.

10. Working on the basis that canoeing is generally quiet, green, good for you and non evasive, allowing access past some "No Entry" signs which are mostly erected to prevent hire cruisers entering and mooring up. Confirmation of where additional access for non powered craft i.e. canoes may be allowed.

You can see that the BA through the LAF are keen to embrace canoeing on the Broads. At present we are way down the list in respect of numbers using the Broads, The largest recreational use on the Broads at present is in fact walking and not as many would imagine, boating.

The next LAF meeting is in March but I will continue to follow up the above points over the next 3 months. I will update this thread as and when I have further news. All good positive stuff really.
    Well done on your appointment Nick. Glad to hear you've found a positive approach in your initial meetings.

We are also working on some of these same points here at BC, so we'll keep you (and everyone!) up to date - please let us know how we can help you in your role.

Best wishes

Chris, W&E Manage, Central - chris.page@britishcanoeing.org.uk

I agree. I just wish we could access wild camping more. It could be a real unique selling point if it was managed like in Sweden. I believe that most of us in fact all I believe. Would paddle and camp and leave the place as we found it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rydergrove View Post
    I agree. I just wish we could access wild camping more. It could be a real unique selling point if it was managed like in Sweden. I believe that most of us in fact all I believe. Would paddle and camp and leave the place as we found it
    Couldn't say that, as agreements like that wouldn't just be open to us but to any Tom, Dick or Harry who wanted to visit the area. You only have to look at the trouble up round loch Lomond to see that not everyone is going to respect the area and leave no trace.

An ive got nothing against any Tom's, Dick's or Harry's reading this.

In Scandinavia is open to Tom and dick and there it works.

Why can't it be available to canoeists only? Cruisers moor up and stay on board why can't we moor up and camp on the bank. All you have to do is break out a fishing rod then legally you are allowed to stay on the bank over night

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great work, Nick, please keep going.
    Is there anywhere a list of put in places for the Broads? (with, preferably, car parking nearby)

I have posted a list of access points on the OCA Facebook page. If I can work out how to post a pdf here I will add it into this thread.

Nick.
    Get Paddling!

Blott

I have posted a list of access points on the OCA Facebook page. If I can work out how to post a pdf here I will add it into this thread
    We can host the PDF on the OCA Site or (perhaps better) in a Dropbox folder. This has the advantage of allowing it to be updated without the link changing.

Alternatively, let's convert the PDF into images and share that way: easily enough done.

I'm in Notts tomorrow morning but could sort the technological side in the evening

I'm not into Facebook, so another way of posting it would be good. Many thanks.