Thread: Open Canoe Festival - Drôme - France - May 2016

Default Open Canoe Festival - Drôme - France - May 2016

It's official - following six months of speculation the Open Canoe Festival has officially switched to Ascension Day Weekend!

5th - 8th May, 2016

Moving the weekend back by six weeks increases our chances of clear blue skies, over tranquil green waters... and gives the foliage time to reach perfection throughout the Drôme valley - which should look at its best!

If you've not come across the Open Canoe Festival before... read all about it in the original SoTP Blog of Dad and Daughter in France: Drôme (Canoe Festival), Ardèche, Allier... or read Between Le Massif du Vecors and Provence... or look through some of the many publications, like these...

Or watch last year's video...

Or click on this picture to read my 2014 piece...

Or click on this picture to read Martin Strunge's piece:

My most recent piece is here:

As I wrote there:

"In gathering, those who have attended the Open Canoe Festival have revealed a strong, vibrant and truly international canoe-culture of independent tripping and journeying – one stretching from Denmark to Italy and from Spain to Austria, across the heart of where modern recreational canoeing began with the likes of John MacGregor journeying “A Thousand Miles in the Rob Roy Canoe on Rivers and Lakes of Europe” - back in 1866!

Personally I'd say it is good to hear the date moved. I think it is a smart idea as Easter is always variable in conditions depending on the date it falls on. Hopefully the change will meet favour with the weather gods. I'm guessing you'll be down there again Greg ?
    MarkL
    www.canoemassifcentral.com
    Canoe outfitting packages in the Massif Central

Quote Originally Posted by MarkL View Post
    Personally I'd say it is good to hear the date moved. I think it is a smart idea as Easter is always variable in conditions depending on the date it falls on. Hopefully the change will meet favour with the weather gods. I'm guessing you'll be down there again Greg ?
    Sod Greg

im hoping that you are going to make it this year, as I owe you and lou a few drinks and would be good to have a catch up!

I'll see what I can do mate. We will hook up one way or another that's for sure
    MarkL

Wilderness Canoe will once again be heading out with trips on both the Ardeche and Allier pre/post OCF.

The OCF is a highlight in our calendar and we always enjoy heading out to run workshops and paddle some great venues.

Time off work booked already. Will be aiming to head out straight after the OCA's very own event.

Much wailing and gnashing of teeth here. It's outside of school holidays to which Laurence as a teacher is confined so we won't be able to come down as planned.

Maybe I can take some days off driving down with the canoes and tent and Laurence just fly down for the weekend, we'll see.
    Happy paddling ,
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutchy View Post
    Sod Greg

im hoping that you are going to make it this year, as I owe you and lou a few drinks and would be good to have a catch up!
    Forgot to say .... Will you need me to post you my sat nav before you set out this year so you can find France ?
    MarkL

Quote Originally Posted by MarkL View Post
    Forgot to say .... Will you need me to post you my sat nav before you set out this year so you can find France ?
    I don't believe Paul got lost last year, unless there is something he's not mentioned.... Some others though did find an interesting route through France, even with a SatNav..!

Nope we didn't get lost, but part of that was Mark lending us a sat nav that worked!

He must just be short of some tea bags.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Details of the trips we'll be running in 2016 both before and after the OCF are now up on the website www.wilderness-canoe.co.uk/trips/france/

Here we go ! You can now register to the 7th edition of the OCF.

Yehaaa ! We are glad to open the 2016 registrations !

O like Open minded !

12 countries are present at the OCF with workshops offered in 3 languages. Our instructors are coming from 5 different countries. A great mix of techniques, cultures and tips from Europe's 4 corners.

C like Culture !

Canoeing is a kind of pretext to offer some great contents to the participants : paddle safe, with grace, comfortably, respecting nature, discovering oneself in the wild !

F like Fiesta !

A nice opening ceremony with a canoe movie. A folk concert where we often push the tables to dance. A big prize lottery where you can win a beautiful canoe and many other things. Some local specialties : local wine and beer...

And let's not forget the D of Drôme : a beautiful river with breathtaking colors !

You want to join us ? Registrations are HERE !
    Register now! Here's the link: http://www.opencanoefestival.com/new...-are-open.html