Thread: shackleton/endurance photos

Default shackleton/endurance photos

came across this site with great photos from the endurane expedition:
    http://mashable.com/2015/10/10/the-e...k#q36C_nr9skqw

Fantastic. Hurley's images are some of my favourite photos, and the story of the expedition remains one of the most remarkable tales of survival.
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

It's an amazing story and one with which every schoolboy or schoolgirl should be familiar.
    One thing I find most poignant is that 'He [Hurley, the photographer] set aside the best 120 of his plates and smashed the remaining 400' before the Endurance was abandoned.
    Andrew (R.R.R.)

' Pas de leur
    Rhône que nous. '

Enjoyed that, and other odd old photos on the site.

I'm not normally one for post enhancement of old documents but some of the colour images are very compelling.
    Also liked the small billiard table

Thanks for posting.

Yeah me too. Some proper skills from the past and interesting stuff too
    MarkL
    www.canoemassifcentral.com
    Open Canoe hire/outfitting in the Massif Central
    ”We will make your trip work”

i've red the book that had some of hurley's photos but never saw this many. it's great, makes it all more vivid.
    that last picture, with the guys waving at the james caird that's not even that far off yet but still only a tiny dot...

If anybody is ever in Cambridge, the museum at the Scott Polar Research Institute is well worth a visit. I might be wrong, but I think they had the James Caird there, though its 20 years ago. I've certainly seen it somewhere. It is tiny, the idea of crossing 900 miles of the wildest ocean in the world in that is incredible.

There's an exhibition on the Shackleton Expedition on at the moment. http://www.spri.cam.ac.uk/museum/exhibitions/endurance/

These guys, like Franklin, Shackleton, Scott et al, somehow epitomise to me that weird borderline-crazy streak in a lot o' you Brits. It fascinates me... just wandering off into perils which you cannot even imagine, woolly mittens,umbrellas and Burberry's in hand. I have read everything I can get my hands on about these fellas, and I still cannot understand any of it. Magnificent, in many ways, but completely outside my comprehension.

Quote Originally Posted by sk8r View Post
    These guys, like Franklin, Shackleton, Scott et al, somehow epitomise to me that weird borderline-crazy streak in a lot o' you Brits. It fascinates me... just wandering off into perils which you cannot even imagine, woolly mittens,umbrellas and Burberry's in hand. I have read everything I can get my hands on about these fellas, and I still cannot understand any of it. Magnificent, in many ways, but completely outside my comprehension.
    The irony here, present company on this website excepted, is that the average Brit these days seems to be about as adventurous as my fridge....its drilled out of them not to take risks!

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    The irony here, present company on this website excepted, is that the average Brit these days seems to be about as adventurous as my fridge....its drilled out of them not to take risks!
    If that is so, it's disappointing and kinda sad.

Quote Originally Posted by sk8r View Post
    If that is so, it's disappointing and kinda sad.
    Indeed. Fortunately, sites like SOTP allow us to spread just a little bit of adventure, even on the smallest scale, to newcomers who's eyes it hopefully opens a little.

about as adventurous as my fridge
    Hehe if your car boot is anything to go by, you could well be taking a step into the unknown opening your fridge door

LOL i'm neither a brit nor a fridge, drilled or not
    therefore i find some of the motives also hard to comprehend. what i like about the endurance is not whatever their reasons were to start out with, but that they managed to all get themselves out of it. it's too easy to get yourself killed for some silly ideas of glory as other such expeditions have shown.

The James Caird can be seen at Dulwich College in South London where Ernest Shackleton went to school.
    Andrew (R.R.R.)

' Pas de leur
    Rhône que nous. '

Thank's for the link, I have the book "South with Endurance" a superb coffee table book, anyone going through a difficult period should read the story to put things into perspective. These were hard men built from hard times, it reminds me of one of Churchill's quotes "Never give up, never give up, never ever give up."
    "Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men"
    Grp Cpt Sir Douglas Bader CBE,DSO,DFC,FRAeS.