Thread: plywood IC?

Default plywood IC?

Hello everyone,
    my name is Martin and I am new in this great forum! Several years ago I sailed an International Canoe, but I stopped it because of a spinal surgery. Now I want to try it again, but here in Germany it is not easy to get a second hand boat. An alternative could be a plywood stitch and glue boat. Does someone have practical knowledge about building an IC with this method? Or, if not - maybe other sailing canoes come close to the IC in speed and sporty sailing??? I am open for alternatives...

I don't have a contact for him, but I suggest you try to contact Tony Martin of West Kirby Sailing club, a knowledgeable IC owner, sailor and dabbler

Impcanoe

Selway Fisher have plans for IC 10 International canoe.

http://www.selway-fisher.com/Sailcanoe.htm#IC10

I have no idea about such high performance boats! I thought walking the plank was something pirates did.

Doug
    When there's trouble on shore, there's peace on the wave,
    Afloat in the White Canoe.
    Alan Sullivan

Of all my sailing experiences, IC fine reaching on the end of the plank with the spray whistling between your feet and the edge of the boat, ranks amongst the finest. (5o5, monster kite, big wind, big waves downwind; RS 700, kite, trapeze, on the racks, broad reach; Int 14, twin wire to windward on a flattish sea; Dragon, to windward in medium blow; Half tonner, under kite, broad reach on the cusp of broaching; 12 metre,walking from one wheel to the other in a tack

Impcanoe

The Selway Fisher boat looks like just what was requested.
    Thanks for showing it, I had no idea.

There is a Skin on Frame sailing canoe, but I'm not sure it was ever developed enough.
    http://gentrycustomboats.com/Olympia.html

Ply wood is a cheap way of doing it. I have just finished building one myself

I got the plans from Google and then modified them slightly to my own needs, its WBP 4mm ply covered with glass and it's finished with exterior gloss hopefully it will last a few years providing I sort out scuffs and scratches

It took around a week to finish whilst messing about with s busy family. Though if you have time to spare I'm sure your canoe will look loads better

What I usually do: sail round and round the Isle of Wight until everyone’s dizzy and then head for home!
    What I usually do: sail round and round the Isle of Wight until everyone’s dizzy and then head for home!

You might consider another Selway Fisher sailing canoe, the JC10 which seems to be a less extreme version with a choice of sail areas. http://www.selway-fisher.com/Sailcanoe.htm#JC10

there is also the Fulcrum Speedworks Machete IC kit in plywood. not stitch and glue though.

These are the plans I used. Boat measures out at just under 16'

I see that the first boat mentioned was designed for Peter Rhodes Dimmer, who used to be a close neighbour of mine. I could perhaps run him down again if it would help. He lent me his Thames Rater for some scary racing.

Impcanoe

Thanks for all which answered me - so much help and information in this short time!
    @Impcanoe and Doug: Unbeleaveable - in Germany we say: "The world is a small village!" Yes, the Selway-Fisher plans could be the right thing for me. Peter Thodes Dimmers experience in building and sailing this boat would be very interesting for me! But take your time, it's not urgent!
    @Johnrobert: Congratulations - your canoe looks pretty! I hope my first homebuild boat will be nearly so good like yours!

Hi Martin,

Good stuff. I live in the Netherlands, and have a similar background as you, coming from the international moth (foiling). I'll be building an Artemis this winter. (Google Artemis canoe).
    Nowhere near the IC speed wise. But we plan to spice the boat up, add a sliding plank and some other goodies, then see how far we get.
    I checked the IC myself as well, but was put off by the weight and problems with paddling. Phil Stevenson has put a design for a stressed ply IC hull online. (Google stressed ply canoe)
    Maybe the taifun class of sailing canoe, that seems quite popular In Germany could be an alternative too.
    Good luck building!

Koos

Ps I'm new here too, hi there! So couldn't post links yet, only after 2 posts.

I'll set about some research in the next few days. I don't think Peter R-D would mind being described as mildly eccentric. I'm pretty sure that he would not have built the boat himself, nor, in fact is it an IC. It apparently has racks like a modern Moth, or a Blaze, rather than the sliding seat. It will be a pleasure to get in touch with Tony Marsden, and see what he can tell you.

However, a 10sq m sailing canoe is a very difficult boat to master. When I got mine, I considered myself a pretty good sailor. I had owned three 5o5s (which you have in Germany) had had reasonable results in three World Championships, had borrowed boats and sailed Finns, OKs, Hornets, Contenders, Flying Dutchmen, but I still found the canoe really difficult to sail. I still vividly remember a small boy coming up to me in a gap in the sailing, and asking me how many times I had capsized. "12" ,I replied. "In the day he asked?". "No ,in the first race" I replied.

In those days we had twin tiller extensions, and "transom" main sheet systems. Now they have centre mains and single extensions, a step up in the difficulty.

Good luck is all I can say!!

Impcanoe

Hi

Rather to my surprise, Tony Marsden appears to be the UK secretary of the International 10sq m Canoe Association (http://www.intcanoe.org/en/index.php)

It would seem a better idea for you to contact him directly, although you are welcome to use my real name, Peter Halliwell, as he won't recognise my nom-de-guerre from this site.

Whilst drifting off to sleep last night I remembered more about Peter R-D's canoe...not that I ever saw it. When we met, he and I were both members of Royal Canoe Club, the oldest canoe club in the UK, situated on Trowlock Island on the Thames above Teddington Lock. At the time the sailing activities were in decline, partly because of the unsuitability of the river for the technically challenging IC's. I was a member because, although still an active sailor else where, I was also a Wild Water Canadian Canoe Racer, and Royal had a training group.

As I recall it Peter had philanthropically developed a canoe to a different set of rules which produced a less extreme boat, although their use had declined (possibly to the point of extinction,) and it is this boat that is referred to in the link. I have no idea how it went from there, but I do know that Peter did not show me the boat, something I think he would have done if it was still at Royal.

If you trawl through the IC stuff, you might come across the name Jim Champ. Although originally a Cherub Sailor, he is now very much part of the IC history group. He is another resident of the "small village", my son having helmed Jim's Cherub at a National Championship.

One further contact group worth inspecting is the CVRDA.org, the Classic and Vintage Racing Dinghy Association. and both Jim and I are in that too.

I have rather a lot on at the moment, (retirement does not always mean nothing to do.) but I will try and run Peter R-D to ground.

Some very interesting nostalgic memories stirred up by this post.

And finally, as someone who has owned and borrowed boats with sliding seats, racks (Wings), trapezes and racks-and-trapeze, the rack set up as seen on Moths, Blazes and B14s is by far the most used friendly way of getting more righting moment, and hence power onto a sailing boat.

Don't hesitate to post again if I can help.

Peter
    Impcanoe (Imp being the name of my IC10)

Fascinating stuff.
    I used to build boats with racks, but never got sail one, fastest dinghy I've sailed would be a 505 which was good fun.
    I've always thought I am probably a bit flexibility challenged for an IC, a situation that only gets more acute as I get older.
    I really must get round to renovating the minisail my brother rescued from a sailing club clear out some years ago - it isn't a sliding seat version, but it could be....
    (I think checking the hull integrity and buying a rig for it are top priority though).

How hard can it be?

just looked at the Machete vid. If you are going to spend time and effort, there is a lot to recomend the production of a certified class compliant boat, which will have a much better resale value than a "nondescript" one.

Impcanoe

Quote Originally Posted by Impcanoe View Post
    Impcanoe (Imp being the name of my IC10)
    Why did I think it was because you used to WW race canoe for ICL?

How hard can it be?

The Machete looks like a fast and competitive boat. But the kit is only avaiable in UK and it looks like that plans allone are not to get. Phils ideas how to build a IC are very interesting for me. It would be surely informativ to compare his plan with the Fisher shape! For me it would be necessary to revise it, because I prefer the rigging with a headsail.
    @Koos: Surely a profitable idea to hot up the Artemis. But there are many possible problems – maybe this could be interesting for you:
    http://www.storerboatplans.com/Beth/beth.html
    And yes, there is nothing comparabel with sailing IC. I sailed dinghys and catamarans hanging in a trapeze – maybe they where faster, but nor so exciting and exhilarating than sitting on the sliding seat!
    For Peter: Some picture from the European Championship 1971 on the Steinhuder Meer.
    https://www.filmothek.bundesarchiv.d...0%3A09%3A14.09
    I was a nearly six year old boy in this time...

I hope that it will be possible to see this old vid!?

Quote Originally Posted by Wasserratte View Post
    I hope that it will be possible to see this old vid!?
    Yes - excellent. Click on this photo to open the video... and then use the "play" arrow on the right hand side to jump to the relevant clip

Hi Martin,

Yes, there will be many problems with hotting up a current design, it will be great fun
    I checked the Beth canoe, but I needed something with one mast, it looks a great boat, and Michel storer designs nice stuff, I thought long and hard about the goat island skiff too.
    I found a good forum of the IC (next post I can add links, Jay!) but the German section there seems mostly dead. Still there are many people around there who csn help you with plans. Did you check the 16/30 canoes as well?
    Then there is the aquamuse, which is now even for sale in the Netherlands, but it looks boring in anything under 15 knots of wind. Seems a well designed and friendly boat though.
    Further, aw marine in Germany built a sail kanu, Google: Segelkanu leistenbauweise. The Brol from chantier M.E.R. Is nice too (with that boat you can win raid style events), the prototype is for sale from their website. It only has tiny outriggers though...
    Happy hunting
    --
    Canoe sailing trips:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/winnips

Steve Clark here.
    I am the designer of the Machete kit.
    If anyone is still interested in building, we have kits available.
    Send me a message.
    We are in the USA, but freight works!
    SHC
    SHC