Thread: Paddling on Loch an Eilein?

Journal Entries

Question Paddling on Loch an Eilein?

We're planning a trip to Aviemore at Easter, and I thought Loch an Eilein (Rothiemurchus) might be worth a paddle. However, I believe access has been a problem in the past.

Does anyone know what the current situation is? Has the new Access Legislation sorted everything out, or might we be shooed off??

Thanks!

Blutack.

i cannot see a problem. I'm not sure about landing on the island because there may have been paid boat trips running to this proir to the new laws. However, I'm not aware of any historical charge to use the loch, so one cannot be imposed now.
    If it wasn't for the rain in our lives there would be no rivers. X 2

I believe Rothiemurchus Estate are trying to resist access on the somewhat dubious grounds that they claim to have charged for water access in the past, and that the Loch is therefore excluded from access rights. Unfortunately access to the loch is via an estate carpark which is usually staffed, so you could end up being confronted. It would probably be worth contacting the national park access officer for an update on whether this has been resolved.

Angry Paddling on Loch an Eilean

There is an access problem here currently. The Cairngorms National Park Authority are in dispute with the Rothiemurchas Estate who want to be paid for access

Looking at this it seems the authorities have decided that the estate is in breach of the access code.

A bit disappointing as I had previously thought the Rothiemurchus estate was reasonable and enlightened one.

http://www.cairngorms.co.uk/resource....3.Loch.an.pdf

Journal Entries

Oh well, hopefully it'll be resolved soon. I've taken Paul C's advice and E-mailed the park authority, so if / when I get a response, I'll post it up here.

Cheers,

Blutack.

Journal Entries

Thumbs up Reply from Park Authority

Received this reply this morning from the Park Authority (name / E-mail addresses removed out of courtesy):

"We have been in recent communication with the Estate over this matter. The position is that the estate have accepted the Park Authority’s request to remove the signs saying “access to the water by arrangement” that in light of the fact that access rights apply to Loch an Eilean, on the basis that these are exercised responsibly in accordance with the Scottish Outdoor Access Code www.outdooraccess-scotland.com. Please note that the car park is about 100m from the water so you will need to portage your boats as you do not have the right to drive a vehicle down to the water’s edge. I hope you have a good trip over Easter."

We're on then! So who would care to join us for an afternoon's over the Easter weekend?

Fantastic!!

Blutack.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Blutack
    We're on then! So who would care to join us for an afternoon's over the Easter weekend?
    Best bet is to post a notice in the meeting section with details and I am sure you will have some takers. I will probably have family commitments but have a good trip.
    John

I started at the bottom and I like it here