Thread: John saying Hello

Journal Entries

Default John saying Hello

Well let me be the first to introduce myself. My name is John Kelly and for my sins I am the one who started this site.

I have always had an interest in the outdoors. When I was young we had a caravan on the banks of Loch Lomond and this kindled my interest in the water. I remember as a child watching a man paddle past in an open canoe with his dog looking out the front of the canoe. From that moment on it was only a matter of time before I got a canoe.

Surprisingly it took a long time. I have only had a canoe for about a year and a half and although competent enough I am not an experienced user. I am far more used to flat water than rivers. I have gone on quite a few over night trips on the canoe and this is what I enjoy most. It is the exploring and the journey I love.

Anyway that is a brief summary.

Default mutineering maggie

glad you have set up song of the paddle. Its great to know that there are lots more of us out there.
    lashes or is that your 007 accent

cheers now

Default Too many posts

Hi John, I would say welcome to the site, but you've been around a while (10,000 posts almost ).

Funny, most intro threads get more than one response, I take it you might have some more friends by now.
    Chris

Journal Entries

Hi John;

Welcome to SotP. I am one of the mods here so if you have any questions feel free to pass them along to me or the other mods and admin.
    I found this old thread and thought you deserved a better welcome. I know I feel disappointed when my threads do not achieve double digit replies.

See you on the water.
    Lloyd

Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug...

Journal Entries

Hello

I can't believe you haven't posted at least five times since mid-morning

happy 10,000 post when it arrives.

'There is no wealth but life itself.'

Journal Entries

I could lock the thread but since it is all mods posting that would not work.

Quote Originally Posted by MagiKelly View Post

I could lock the thread but since it is all mods posting that would not work.
    Well then Hello from a "Rocker".

I hadn't seen this when I first found the site. But just to say thanks for setting this up, it really is one of life's treasures.
    Big Al.

Only when the last tree has died
    and the last river been poisoned
    and the last fish been caught
    will we realise we cannot eat money.
    ~Cree Indian Proverb

hello and welcome,thanks for your time and making this the great site that it has become.live long and prosper.
    If a hammer wont fix it it must be an electrical problem

Oooohh...9,999....

Go on John, you know you want to do it!
    Chris

It is the exploring and the journey I love.
    John - you started a most valuable resource for many people. Your own words say it all!

All the Best
    Pirate of the Grand Banks

That's cool, like a small snippet of time, and how things have changed since then eh.

I'll bet its a bit like your folks bringing out pictures of you when you were a toddler
    Thinking of ways to get the sack, so I can Canoe more often.

I guess when you first posted there weren't many around to reply ! You certainly started something ! Thanks

Bill

Feel like I'm jumping on the bandwagon. Now I'm ner short of words and have heard the song many a time but I don't play a musical instrument and have an awful singing voice . Having said this and having joined some years later than your good self, a 'welcome' would be a bit pointless. However, a 'thank you' and maybe seems fitting. (No. I'm not buying.)

TGB
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

May all your winds be gentle. And for ww - May it rain the night before.

Default Welcome

Hi there John, first a warm welcome to the forum, like you I have a love for the open canoe as it can take me to places that other modes of transportation cannot, but also In the stillness of the early morning as I paddle along I can be anywhere in the world I want to be.
    And thanks to you I can tell like minded folk of my experiences, and read of their exploits, also have the opportunity to meet some of them.
    So once again Welcome and Thank you, and may you have many years of, and perhaps not to many
    Best Regards Bill
    Last edited by CanalVoyaguer; 22nd-March-2009 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Delete Smilie

Default Many Thanks

This blog is a bit of genius. Thanks for all the info and entertainment it has given me.

John, I think it goes without saying that we are all in debt to you for starting this site I am sure it has been an inspiration to both new and old paddlers to share their views and experience and to give the opportunity for like minded people to share the open canoe experience.

Thank you

Graeme
    SWWC the way forward

Coaching for skills and performance

Was that the first ever post on this site John? How many times a day did you check your computer to see if you had a reply?

All the best, Michael.
    Cheers, Michael.

Brute Force and Ignorance is Vastly Underrated.

"There is magic in the feel of a paddle and the movement of a canoe, a magic compounded of distance, adventure, solitude, and peace."
    -Sigurd Olson

Journal Entries

This was not the first post as the stickies were posted earlier but it must have been one of the first "normal" posts. Early on I did spend a lot of time checking the forum but then again I still do

It's the journeys that are fun, and the blogs on this website are nearly as much fun as doing it yourself

Thanks for setting it up and keeping it going so enthusiastically!

PS I guess we need to give our 2009 donations sometime soon

The donation page is very hard to find: here it is http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...light=donation

Best Wishes

Frank
    Last edited by Windblown; 27th-March-2009 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Donation link
    The impossible we do at once - miracles take a little longer!

Hi John from a newbie in the midlands

I've found this forum, with out a doubt, the best I have ever come across.

I've found everyone to be friendly and helpful, and as a newcomer to both the open canoe and this site, it has made the experience even better than I had hoped

regards Andy

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Windblown View Post
    PS I guess we need to give our 2009 donations sometime soon
    Information about checking your renewal date is here

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=13973