Thread: Welsh Access Review TIME IS NEARLY UP - HAVE YOUR SAY!

Default Welsh Access Review TIME IS NEARLY UP - HAVE YOUR SAY!

Welsh Government`s consultation `Improving opportunities to access the outdoors for responsible recreation` closes soon. Last time this exercise was carried out, the responses from those looking for improved access opportunities were overshadowed by a vociferous organised lobby against public access for responsible recreation. It is ESSENTIAL that each of us sends in an individual response. Waters of Wales - WoW will also send a community response from the viewpoint of recreational water users. To make this response as representative as possible of the whole 'Waters of Wales - WoW' community, please let us have any points YOU think are important. You can post here, email or message us, but please do it NOW!

Consultation documents and response form

More information about the campaign is available on the Waters of Wales website: www.watersofwales.org.uk

RAFA echoes Pam's comments.

The Welsh Government has consulted the public for their views to help them develop Improving opportunities to access the outdoors for responsible recreation. The consultation ends on 2nd October. The last time the Welsh Government sought the public’s views, the responses were dominated by an organised response from anglers opposing the very objective of the Welsh Government in its application to rivers, which they steadfastly maintained should be dominated (and controlled) by the interests of a select group associated with angling. This is not an issue which should be resolved on the basis of who can mobilise the largest “mob” or shout the loudest but we do need to demonstrate that there is a reasoned and reasonable appetite for sharing of our rivers on a much wider basis.

River Access For All have presented our views which recognise both the historic rights of the public to access rivers for navigation and recreation and the need to share on a sustainable basis but we need responses from the wider community either demonstrating support for these views or presenting alternative views on how the same objectives can be best achieved. In particular we’d like to draw your attention to the consultation form for children and young persons at http://gov.wales/docs/desh/consultat...ltation-en.pdf.

Please take the opportunity of this consultation to make Welsh Government aware of YOUR views. You only have a week or so to go to the deadline so don’t delay!
    Keith

Response sent today!
    Peter

Well done.Peter.
    Keith

Email sent today.
    "Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men"
    Grp Cpt Sir Douglas Bader CBE,DSO,DFC,FRAeS.

my consultation response submitted.
    How many others on here have submitted a response I wonder?
    Mike

I have, but it is very difficult to know how many paddlers took the time, I think part of the problem is that people often think 'one reply makes no difference', but more accurately each reply makes a very small difference & enough replies could be significant.
    Ken

I have too.
    Covering as many malmiles as possible before being distracted by the pub!

Paddle Points - where to paddle

The worst thing that could happen is that a lack of responses could lead Welsh Government to conclude that there is no demand for increased (uncontested) access to rivers in Wales. This is not just a numbers game but we need to have sufficient responses to demonstrate that there is such a demand and that it justifies steps to bring clarity based on the historic evidence of public navigation rights.
    Keith

I've sat more straightforward exams... form submitted!

Done
    Just goin with the flow

Romsey, Paddle estuaries within an hour, also club member and coach, and scout canoeing helper

Done,
    Brevan
    Brevan,
    1664 - a great year for river access
    Romsey, Hampshire
    Twitter: BrevanM
    Follow my blog at http://riveraccessrights.blogspot.com/

13. Default

Hi all - sorry for the delay, but here is a link to our response to this consultation - http://www.britishcanoeing.org.uk/ne...ccess-in-wales

and should anyone be interested, here's the WUF response to the same.
    http://www.wyeuskfoundation.org/down...d=3777&sf=true

Quote Originally Posted by wrongangle View Post
    and should anyone be interested, here's the WUF response to the same.
    http://www.wyeuskfoundation.org/down...d=3777&sf=true
    I am surprised they still have the front to promote the now totally discredited VAA's they cobbled together with BOPA on the Upper Wye and Welsh Dee. They know that neither of these so called "agreements" have any validity so they changed their description of them to arrangements, BOPA are also totally discredited and are no longer active. If that is the best they can offer, good for us.

There was a reasonable report on this review on BBC's Country File 8/11/15, the minister seemed to be in favour of a Scottish style access agreement. Unfortunately no decisions will be taken until after the elections next year so lets hope he gets back in.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudman View Post
    There was a reasonable report on this review on BBC's Country File 8/11/15, the minister seemed to be in favour of a Scottish style access agreement. Unfortunately no decisions will be taken until after the elections next year so lets hope he gets back in.
    Past experience tells us that we can't afford to rely on which government gets elected next year, or whether they will keep their promises.
    Waters of Wales will continue the campaign for Land Reform Legislation for Wales, through to the next Welsh Government, whoever gets elected. Register your support via the website, or our Facebook page, to be kept up to date with developments.

www.watersofwales.org.uk

www.facebook.com/WatersofWales.WoW

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Bell View Post
    Past experience tells us that we can't afford to rely on which government gets elected next year, or whether they will keep their promises.
    Waters of Wales will continue the campaign for Land Reform Legislation for Wales, through to the next Welsh Government, whoever gets elected. Register your support via the website, or our Facebook page, to be kept up to date with developments.

www.watersofwales.org.uk

www.facebook.com/WatersofWales.WoW
    Thanks Pam, I did send in my contribution to the review, I am also a member of the BMC and we are pushing hard as well.

Thanks Cloudman, the post was not directed at you, but intended to make the point generally that we cannot leave it to the politicians.
    IMO We need BMC, Ramblers and other bodies to get fully behind Land Reform this time.