Thread: Access to River Tees

Default Access to River Tees

I have just built an open canoe with the idea of exploring the river Tees and then other North East Rivers I was under the impression that if I had a BCU membership I automatically had a license for ALL UK rivers. I went onto the BCU website and the Tees is not mentioned in this agreement.

Don't want to get into trouble so how do I legally paddle the Tees, going to start at the barrage and work up stream, where I finish I would launch from again and so on

Thanks

Tink

Hi Tink,
    I believe that access to the lower reaches of the River Tees, up to Worsall is ok. This part of the river was tidal before the construction of the Barrage and has ancient rights of navigation. The River Leven, just downstream of Yarm, is very pretty, but any egress will be onto private land and may cause problems. We were politely asked to vacate the River Bank whilst partaking of a brew.
    PM me if you are going out and I'll join you if i can.
    Chestnut Bob

Look at some of the threads in the Access section of the forum.
    http://www.davidwperry.blogspot.co.uk/

The only part of the River Tees that requires a licence is the part controlled by the Canal and Rivers Trust. A CRT licence is included in the British Canoeing/Canoe England licence. Unless parliament has passed a statute requiring a licence none is required.
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Chestnut Bob View Post
    Hi Tink,
    I believe that access to the lower reaches of the River Tees, up to Worsall is ok. This part of the river was tidal before the construction of the Barrage and has ancient rights of navigation. The River Leven, just downstream of Yarm, is very pretty, but any egress will be onto private land and may cause problems. We were politely asked to vacate the River Bank whilst partaking of a brew.
    PM me if you are going out and I'll join you if i can.
    Chestnut Bob
    Big thanks to one and all, will be leaving the Tees until I have fully completed the canoe, will contact you when I do the Tees Chesnut Bob. Did a very quick test paddle at Bishopton,
    report filed in the building section

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...808#post589808