Thread: The Outdoors Show - How was it for you?

Default The Outdoors Show - How was it for you?

Well, we had been planning to attend this for months, but the best laid plans etc. One sick child delayed our setting out by several hours, and we didn't arrive 'till 3pm on Saturday. That left just 3 hours to get round the show. In the event however, it proved about adequate.

There was some interesting stuff there, but overall we were a bit dissappointed. There was nothing very exciting in terms of Open Boats. Lots, of Venture canoes (formerly Mobile Adventure I think), two Novacraft and a couple of Mad River boats. Oh yeah, and a couple of Robsons, they were the only surprises. No Wenonahs, no Bells and not even any Old Towns!

There was little in the way of novel equipement either. Nothing I had not seen anywhere else. The Endless River stand was good, and I picked up a few good items there. Nice to see and feel things for a change. My wife got a really nice hand made Ottertail paddle form the Novacraft stand. I'm not sure how I let that happen really, as I am now very jealous! Bizzarley the Novacraft stand had only one boat, and I think that was just for somewhere to set out the paddles.

Otherwise it was all kayaks, kayaks, kayaks. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but it seemed like a missed opportunity.

The reset of the show was a little flat as well. Nothing really unusual to look at. One neat single perosn tent, fabircated around a set of hoops
    that put itself up. It folded down into a hoop bag about 3 feet across. Great idea but somewhat the wrong shape for a canoe, or at £35 I might have bought one.

I was looking for some decent boots for canoeing, but saw nothing in the entire show to get me excited.

Our original plan had been to return on sunday (we were staying not too far away at my brother in law's house) but in the event felt we had seen enough.

Glad I went. Not sure if I would go again. The Ordnance Survey stand had a map where you could place a pin showing where you had come from. Amazed the distance some folk had travelled. Lands End to the Orkneys pretty much. Hope they got more out of it than we did.
    Matto

Ours was the marsh country, down by the river, within, as the river wound, twenty miles of the sea.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Matto
    I was looking for some decent boots for canoeing, but saw nothing in the entire show to get me excited.
    Well off topic here but I will be doing a review of my new Avon Muck Boots shortly and am not giving anything away when I say I am really pleased with them.

Default How was it for you

I have been to this show every year for some considerable time and I thought that it was definately not as good as it has been in the past. I still spent plenty though Glad I am paid this week!! I bought a pole, that should be fun, a couple of barrels, some safety rope, swing cheek pully and a couple of screw gate krabs. I bought Eileen, my long suffering canoe widow, a sit on top and paddle......... well thats it, she will even be able to follow me into the relative peace and calm of the river Hamble

I dont really mind I have been trying to get her afloat for a couple of years and because of her dodgy knees she cannot canoe or climb in or out of a kayack, so we think we have cracked the problem.

Apart from that there was nothing at the show to write home about, walking/camping section was very poor I thought and for a Saturday it was remarkably un-crowded.

Still I suppose I will look foward to next years show with the same childish expectations and will still spend too much money.

Jim

Well, we had been planning to attend this for months, but the best laid plans etc. One sick child delayed our setting out by several hours, and we didn't arrive 'till 3pm on Saturday. That left just 3 hours to get round the show. In the event however, it proved about adequate.

There was some interesting stuff there, but overall we were a bit dissappointed. There was nothing very exciting in terms of Open Boats. Lots, of Venture canoes (formerly Mobile Adventure I think), two Novacraft and a couple of Mad River boats. Oh yeah, and a couple of Robsons, they were the only surprises. No Wenonahs, no Bells and not even any Old Towns!

There was little in the way of novel equipement either. Nothing I had not seen anywhere else. The Endless River stand was good, and I picked up a few good items there. Nice to see and feel things for a change. My wife got a really nice hand made Ottertail paddle form the Novacraft stand. I'm not sure how I let that happen really, as I am now very jealous! Bizzarley the Novacraft stand had only one boat, and I think that was just for somewhere to set out the paddles.

Otherwise it was all kayaks, kayaks, kayaks. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but it seemed like a missed opportunity.

The reset of the show was a little flat as well. Nothing really unusual to look at. One neat single perosn tent, fabircated around a set of hoops
    that put itself up. It folded down into a hoop bag about 3 feet across. Great idea but somewhat the wrong shape for a canoe, or at £35 I might have bought one.

Our original plan had been to return on sunday (we were staying not too far away at my brother in law's house) but in the event felt we had seen enough.

Glad I went. Not sure if I would go again. The Ordnance Survey stand had a map where you could place a pin showing where you had come from. Amazed the distance some folk had travelled. Lands End to the Orkneys pretty much. Hope they got more out of it than we did.

Default The Outdoors Show - How was it for you?

Hi,

Well, I feel it was extremely poor. Many thanks must go to the few retailers and manufacturers that attended. They shelled out a considerable amount of money for very little floor space, a 2mx2m stand was £1000 for the weekend. We can not blame the importers and dealers for not wanting to go. Thats a lot of sales before you start making a profit. Plus, us, the attendees had to pay £7 to park and I think full price was £14 a ticket, £35 for two people, thats a third of a paddle.

Some of you will remember the shows at Crystal Palace when you had to work hard to get round all the stands in a day, and that was only ta canoe/kayak exhibition. Lots of clubs on 2mx2m stands were there as was a cosiderable amoun t of manufacturers and dealers. What a shame to let this slip away. There are figures out to show that canoeing and kayaking are the fastest growing sports in the UK, yet people are saying the market place is so small we can not develop new kit.

I personally feel we should be targeting the BCU as the governing body to remove the ICE to another venue with sensible prices for all, and then we could all benefit.

Please email the BCU and complain.

Paul Booker. Sadly a full BCU member since 1978.

Many of the retailers have decided against taking a stand at the ICE and instead are holding their own mini-exhibition at their own sites. Here in the southeast, I know our three most popular retailers have shows planned inviting the manufacturers and will have a river-side location so that you can try out a number of different boats and purchase them on the day. I know some have even hired the nearby white water course for a day for free try-out sessions.

Keep in touch with your local retailer to find out what they have planned.

Haven't heard of this. Do you have any more info? Which shops are involved and roughly where?
    Matto

Ours was the marsh country, down by the river, within, as the river wound, twenty miles of the sea.

Well I enjoyed it
    I managed to blag a couple of tickets, so saved £28 effectively phew.
    Last time I was there I was doing fire by friction demos to a few hundred people at a time No pressure atall !
    It was good to talk to Bearcreek adventure, who seemed to have most of the open boats at the show. The Robson canoes were a suprise, I liked that tiddly little solo boat, loooked like it could be fun, Not so impressed with the larger Kevlar one that looked a bit bath-tubish to me. Endless river had a great stand too, with all the bits and bobs I'd needed and payed through the teeth for at the local chandlers ! Its good to know where I can stainless steel seat bolts, stick on eyelets, replacement yokes, seats...boat plans, floating rope... you name it they had it.
    I also enjoyed the venture canoes stand - and was aprticularly taken with the Venture prospector in Corelite. Considerabley lighter than the PE versions I had paddled. (See the thread in thee Gear section)
    I also aranged to meet up with some friends there, so had a good afternoon.
    Cheers
    Rich

Haven't heard of this. Do you have any more info? Which shops are involved and roughly where?
    This is a post from the manager of a store local to me in Reading:

''The outdoor show is getting very very expensive, and for this reason many manufacturers and retailers are boycotting in favour of the shop open days:

All the joys of the outdoor show, but water based, so you can try out those goodies on the water, plus loads of extras, such as talks/lectures/giveaways/coaching/demo/prizes/barbeques/bars and all sorts as you move around the country!

You've seen the AS post about the ultimate party - as the year progresses there'll be events at the other shops in your area - (Details on respective websites or on here nearer the time

Marsport - (20-21st May 2006)

Whitewater the Canoe Centre (june i think)

AS Watersports 11th March 2006

Brookbank (sorry - no idea)

Desperate Measures (usually 1st may weekend)

Craig''

The first three are in the South, the second two midlands and further (from me).

Have a word with your local stores to see if they are doing something similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Roving Rich
    Endless river had a great stand too, with all the bits and bobs I'd needed and payed through the teeth for at the local chandlers !
    A friend of mine used to be a trader and insisted that you should always have lots of low cost items. No-one wants to come away without having bought something. One year he made a killing on some small model kayakers which he was selling at 50p each.

Endless River always have a well stocked stand with all the parafernalia all at a slightly reduced price. I am sure they do a roaring trade.