Thread: Hoveton Great Broad Access

Default Hoveton Great Broad Access

Not sure if anyone will have seen this already, but it seems like a good petition to sign. It says;

'We demand that the Heritage Lottery Fund require that Hoveton Great Broad, Norfolk be reopened to full public access from the river as a pre-condition of any public contribution to the cost of the project.'

The background is:
    The Heritage Lottery Fund has recently announced almost £2m of funding to restore the ecology of Hoveton Great Broad.
    The Broad sits within the Norfolk and Suffolk Broads which are part of the National Parks family.

National Parks are for people.

The Broad, which is tidal and was subject to a public right of navigation, was illegally closed by the landowning estate more than 100 years ago thus preventing the public from exercising that right.
    Since that closure the ecological condition of the Broad has been neglected. On completion of the HLF-funded project to address that neglect public access will still be denied.

We therefore demand that the HLF require that Hoveton Great Broad be reopened to full public access from the river as a pre-condition of any public contribution to the cost of the project.

If you are interested in signing, the link is;

https://www.change.org/p/secretary-o...fb_ref=Default

Thanks.

Signed it.
    The early bird may catch the worm... but the second mouse gets the cheese!

I have signed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me too!

It seems there is some plan for a canoe trail but this is subject to future planning. The Broads Authority are keen that much stronger provision for future navigation.
    4.4 Recreational Considerations

Access4.4.1 The project specifically includes the creation of a canoe access trail and associated infrastructure and will facilitate some incremental increase in public access to the area which is welcomed. (it should be noted that this is the second stage of the Project and will be the subject of a future planning application) However public access to the area as a whole remains limited which is regrettable. This is also seen by many stakeholders as a weakness in any applications for public funding. The Authority would have preferred to have seen the opportunity taken to provide for more tangible opportunities for public access on foot, canoe and by boat to this area consistent with the Authority’s statutory purposes, Broads Plan objective TR1 (specifically TR1.1 and TR1.6) and the objectives of the Integrated Access Strategy. The Broads Authority would therefore strongly encourage Natural England to maximise the opportunity to make more positive provision in the Project for enhanced public access to the site.
    http://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/_...on-Project.pdf

Since the plan involves the construction of barriers to exclude fish from the site, future canoe access will need to be via a portage facility.
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by KeithD View Post
    Me too!

It seems there is some plan for a canoe trail but this is subject to future planning. The Broads Authority are keen that much stronger provision for future navigation.
    http://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/_...on-Project.pdf

Since the plan involves the construction of barriers to exclude fish from the site, future canoe access will need to be via a portage facility.
    Thanks for signing folks. Thanks also for the additional information Keith. I'm told that, even if the canoe trails go ahead, they will be 'guided'. In my view this completely defeats the principle of freedom to roam.
    Peter

signed, also enclosed invited comment as follows - - - I am enquiring as to the full purpose & reasons for restoring original public use lands & waterways ? I also wish to be fully informed as to why said lands & waterways are to be reserved for private use only ?
    This is of public concern using public funds. A democratic public hearing is in order demanding full & transparent answers.

Done.
    Thanks for raising it.
    Andrew (R.R.R.)

' Pas de leur
    Rhône que nous. '

Signed.

i was there last year. Having the usual daft access debate with one of the wardens while watching a hobby flying around when someone drove along it on a motor boat, which, according to the warden, was fine as they "must be a local."
    How do we feel about closed to motorised craft?

Done, Keep up the good work Peter.
    "Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men"
    Grp Cpt Sir Douglas Bader CBE,DSO,DFC,FRAeS.

signed and comments left. Thanks for bringing this to our attention Peter.
    Mike

Thanks again for signing folks. I think we have caused a small surge!
    Peter

Going there and back again to see how far it is!

There is lots of detail behind access to this particular area as it is one of several Broads (small man-made lakes in Norfolk for any of our American cousins reading) closed to public access many, many years ago despite being tidal in nature.
    The subject of the use of Heritage Lottery Funding to conduct remedial work to try and recover the Broad after severe neglect over many years by the landowner was raised on a Norfolk Broads Forum back at the beginning of the year and, amongst lots of local (area and forum) bickering does contain some useful information; http://the-norfolk-broads.co.uk/view...22&Topic=36145
    The thread has recently revived with the creation of this petition and the activity here has even been noted!
    Last edited by johnm; 27th-July-2015 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Forgot the link!

Signed! Thanks for bringing it to our attention, Peter.
    Juvanile delinkwit, vaguely faffing around with a pair of pliers. Du skal ikke tro at du er bedre end mig!

Done it.

Signed

Signed and shared on fb

Signed, email written, reply received.
    Ken

Signed

Quote Originally Posted by Aero View Post
    On the "Change" form it mentions a link to the details of the EU award, I can not find it, does anyone have it?
    "Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men"
    Grp Cpt Sir Douglas Bader CBE,DSO,DFC,FRAeS.

West Country UK (and Quebec Province just now)

This is (wonderful) public money. Was no stipulation made in the grants to ensure public access?
    G

'Adventure is relative. My adventure is another's commonplace.'

I can't find the link either. I assume that the grant awarding body didn't stipulate full public access but may have been told about the proposed guided canoe trail described above. I wonder if Nick (Blott) could tell us more as he represents canoeing on one of the relevant Broads committees I believe.

West Country UK (and Quebec Province just now)

G

'Adventure is relative. My adventure is another's commonplace.'