Thread: Canoefest 2016 - Your Vision!

Default Canoefest 2016 - Your Vision!

What's needed in a British Canoefest for 2016 and beyond? What's the best timing and structure? What should feature?

We've just published Headwaters, highlighting five festivals from this Spring - what elements of each would you like to see echoed in the years to come

Canoefest 2015 was to have been on Llyn Tegid - with easy access to easy WW on the lower Tryweryn and Dee, and to the Pontcysyllte Aquaduct - but that wasn't an option for May Bank Holiday Weekend. We ended up at Dolben Hall - still using the Tryweryn and Dee, but opening up options such as Lynn Brenig and the coast for open water, and giving us easy trips on the Elwy (on site) and lower Conwy.

See http://canoefest.info/

We're now looking ahead to 2016 - the 60th Anniversary of the OCA & a perhaps the start of a new era. What's good to retain... and what would you like to see that would be new? If you could spare a few minutes to give us your thoughts, that would be great

Cracking publication Greg. Very impressed.

Hi Greg, this is just a rough idea but I'll say it anyway. Wherever and whenever the event is held, maybe try to also introduce an aspect of "introducing new people to paddling".

Something like an open invitation to non paddlers to come along and try a first paddle ... And meet the mad burgers who do it. A simple start tuition/short paddle running in parallel with the other areas of the event. Publicise via any channels possible (local radio, scouts, schools, local papers, sport bodies etc)

I'll get my coat
    MarkL
    www.canoemassifcentral.com
    Open Canoe hire/outfitting in the Massif Central
    ”We will make your trip work”

I think Mark has a good point there, with the additional mention of whatever demo boats are going to be there, which would need to include some "entry level" boats (Hou? Stu?)

Whilst I was aware of this years event, but not free to come, I don't actually remember seeing that much info about it. Whether that's just me, or it needs a little more publicity, I'm not sure.

I think publicising the unique things that make it different to, say, the Big Meet, would be worthwhile, especially the variety of disciplines that people will come across.

Not sure how well promoted is was on here but loads of info was available on FB for us folk that paddle WW trad and shorter spec boats ... Tbh we have pretty much all have migrated over to FB as it's the main hub for UK WW paddling ...
    The Tryweryn weekend aspect of the OCA meet was awesome lots going on thanks to Mat Howes ... Kelvin ,Sally V and others ... Since then C boating has done rolling clinics and with help from the OCA to secure a swimming pool and a great camp over at the Washburn site topped off with a great day Sunday running the Washy ...

Must say well done to all involved great work...

Been mentioned a few few times I believe a WW section on here would be great so we can copy links over and it not get lost amongst everything else that's going on ... Love this site for the record ... And I understand FB is not for everyone ...
    Last edited by pipster3; 10th-July-2015 at 09:09 AM.

Had a quick scan, looks like it covers loads and a lot of time and effort has gone into it, thanks. Will have a proper read later.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkL View Post
    Hi Greg, this is just a rough idea but I'll say it anyway. Wherever and whenever the event is held, maybe try to also introduce an aspect of "introducing new people to paddling".

Something like an open invitation to non paddlers to come along and try a first paddle ... And meet the mad burgers who do it. A simple start tuition/short paddle running in parallel with the other areas of the event. Publicise via any channels possible (local radio, scouts, schools, local papers, sport bodies etc)
    Thats an interesting idea, though in my experience there a huge amount of work there, alot of herding cats.

A similar thing that I would like would be to get more people on the water. I noticed at at 2014 meet there were a lot of families there along with the paddlers. I would love to be involved in more of an effort to get the families and plus ones on the water.

Quote Originally Posted by twicezero View Post
    A similar thing that I would like would be to get more people on the water. I noticed at at 2014 meet there were a lot of families there along with the paddlers. I would love to be involved in more of an effort to get the families and plus ones on the water.
    I agree. We were one of those brand new families at the 2014 meet. We learnt so much and had a fantastic time. The children still talk about Kevin's fire lighting. We didn't do 2015 because it was the wrong weekend.

Our wish list is simple:
    Venue by lake with accessible and sheltered spots if weather not so good
    Encourage new paddlers both young and old
    Lots of shore side stuff like bushcraft, techniques and shared experiences
    Evening get together to meet like minded folk

I couldn't get my head around this year's pricing structure.

I don't think it was very clear what was included in the 'basic fee'.

Maybe I'm just thick, but I got the idea into my head that unless I wanted to be sitting around the campsite doing nothing for a morning/afternoon, I needed to book on to two additional 'modules' each day. By the time I'd added everything up doing it like that, the cost put me off.

Apparently though, I got the wrong end of the stick... and there was stuff going on for those paddlers who weren't booked in to go to the T with Kelvin, Coastal canoeing, etc?

Am I making sense? I'm confused again.

To a point, once you are at the venue and paid for your camping and ancillaries, the world was your oyster. You didn't need to book on to any of the specific activities, there was a river right by the campsite, a big lake nearby, the sea (straits) and the Big T a little drive away. You could avail yourself of any of the venues on your own recognisance or with a group of friends. I have to say it didn't take me long to work out what I needed to book and what I could just get on with. My only problem was leaving it too late for some of the groups most attractive to me (personal circumstances).

Quote Originally Posted by GregandGinaS View Post

We've just published Headwaters, highlighting five festivals from this Spring - what elements of each would you like to see echoed in the years to come
    Greg - is there anyway of downloading it as a PDF? Issuu doesn't work well on my machine.

Cheers
    Simon

Hi Simon. Greg is out of the country at the moment but I have asked him this question for you. I can't work out how to download it from ISSUU or print to pdf. I have an older pdf version which I received when I was proof-reading it for the Editor but as I can't guarantee this is the final version I'm reluctant to share it. What operating system are you using which means you can't open ISSUU?

Without wanting to dis-rail the thread too much the ISSUU thing doesn't work on an ipad.
    (I do a lot of my reading on the move so I'd love a chance to read a PDF version too FWIW )

Quote Originally Posted by twicezero View Post
    Without wanting to dis-rail the thread too much the ISSUU thing doesn't work on an ipad.
    (I do a lot of my reading on the move so I'd love a chance to read a PDF version too FWIW )

Thanks for that feedback, I will make sure Greg is aware there is demand for a pdf version. We will look to get a pdf version of the latest edition uploaded onto the website.

Quote Originally Posted by BigRich View Post
    What operating system are you using which means you can't open ISSUU?
    I can open it, but can't read it on my laptop - the screen is too small and and I hate scrolling in magnified mode!
    The obvious thing to do would be to print it, but AFAIK ISSUU doesn't allow that.

Simon

PS to moderators, suggest you extract this post and those it relates to to a different thread!
    Last edited by fishwics; 17th-August-2015 at 08:46 PM.