Thread: Cheap Bouyancy (blocks or bags)

1. Default Cheap Bouyancy (blocks or bags)

All,

Just picking up a cheap canoe to get the missus on the water. I plan to take her on some grade 1/2 trips and I may use the boat for soloing up to grade 3.

I am after some cheap buoyancy (bags or blocks) for a bit of security if we take a swim.

Any recommendations... bearing in mind the boat is cheap (but capable!).

Thanks,

Dave

Bags can be had for not too much. However, if you're into a bit of DIY you can get thick sheets of polystyrene from a builders' merchants and make your own blocks. I did this with one of our canoes. I just bound them all up with duct tape.

Aldi gym balls are a fiver each!
    There are three types of people in the world:
    Those who can count and those who can't.

4. Default

Cheers for the tips guys. I had been wondering about the DIY option. my local builders yard does some polystyrene sheets... but need to think of something a bit neater to cover it with than duct tape. Not convinced of the aesthetic properties! haha... I might just cover in some think closed cell foam sheet which should give quite a neat finish.

The Gym ball may well be a good shout. Cheers for the ideas guys.

Quote Originally Posted by davedraper View Post
    something a bit neater to cover it with than duct tape
    Philistine!

Default Diy floatation bags

Decided that drybags could be a cheap but durable DIY floatation idea. Purchased a couple of 80 lt bags for 16 the pair & filled with electronic air-filled packing (about to be thrown out ) These multi-celled thingies are almost impossible to burst ( I think they housed computer equipment )
    They equal in volume the YAK's I have in the red canoe so I'm confident of their worth should they be tested.
    The drybag material is very resilient & TBH they wont let you ( or themselves) down in the event of accidental puncture un-like the YAK's.
    Filled with polystyrene or balls as has been suggested could solve a quick but necessary fix. Anything is better than nothing but regards looks ? - - - - - not too shabby !
    Will lash the bags in before adventuring

Last edited by Robbie; 30th-June-2015 at 05:44 PM.

7. Default

That looks pretty smart! Where did u get the cheap 80 ltr bags from? I can get some of the packaging from the scrap bin at work. Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

hey thats looking good!

of course - you could stash you spare clothes in there too....

e-bay Dave, just seen black 80lt bags for 9 each, have a rummage !
    Cheers Marty !
    Last edited by Robbie; 1st-July-2015 at 06:28 AM.

11. Default

How have you found them for 9! Best I can spot is 11. Please post a link if you don't mind...

Thanks again, Dave

12. Default

Oh... I have found some tough ones from LOMO for 9.80 each. They are only 60 ltr... but for the extra toughness, probably OK.

Thanks again, Dave

good one, I sent you the ebay link for 80lt btw, hope your idea works, gotta have a go haven't ya ! All the best.

These should do the job and cheap http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Waterp...item5b0a268923

Ruk 42"/ 105cm on Ebay for about 20 each.

16. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Jag009 View Post
    Thanks... I'm gonna give the pea green ones a go!

17. Default

So far the outfit job is going well! Got some cord for lacing coming by the end of the week. All of the grab handles and painters replaced. Kneeling thwart to be made.

exciting/satisfying/crying/swearing - - - - - all part of time well spent getting ready to get on the water. Good luck with the outfitting Dave, pop us a photo or three when sorted!

19. Default

Cheers... I enjoy outfitting and repairing canoes... I have done a fair few through jobs in the past but being predominantly a kayaker (sorry!) I have never actually had my own. This boat is to help get the missus on the water... but because her interest may not last very long I am keen to keep the build cost low!

The plan is to get it in a state for WW so that I can at least use when her interest wains!

Thanks again for all the comments... this is an incredibly friendly, helpful forum!

Apologies not necessary, I earnt my stars in kayaking, loved instructing groups from inner-city projects who never saw the country side or what it has to offer. Canoeing offers a different approach & mind-set is all. I used to build rafts back home in Devon as a kid, six of us 11 year olds nearly got swept out from the River Exe one time on one of our adventures ( fearless council house imps we were ;-)) I'd convert a garden shed if that meant I could get on the water !!