Thread: RIVER TEME, 3m restoration plan.

Default RIVER TEME, 3m restoration plan.

There has just been an announcement that the whole of the River Teme is to be regenerated at a cost of 3m, this I hope will take into account our needs as well as the environmental needs. On page 21 of the report below they show that they intend to undertake work on most of the weirs, some being removed altogether, hopefully there will be communication with the paddling community to discuss our needs. The last time I was in Ludlow I noticed the excellent landing stage on the playing field adjacent to a public car park, this shows a desire to consider navigation so I would hope they would be open to discussions.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-33053855

http://temecatchment.com/wp-content/...port-DRAFT.pdf
    "Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men"
    Grp Cpt Sir Douglas Bader CBE,DSO,DFC,FRAeS.

A (very) quick scan of the JBA consulting document failed to reveal any references to either recreational use of the river or access facilities to the river.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by 25272527 View Post
    A (very) quick scan of the JBA consulting document failed to reveal any references to either recreational use of the river or access facilities to the river.
    Mike
    I have read several documents and you are right there is no reference to navigation, most of the work is environmental but they have declared an intention to work on most of the weirs so we need to get involved. I have little experience of the River Teme so it needs paddlers with local knowledge to get involved it will be to their advantage as they are likely to use the river most. This should be standard practice for local Canoe/Kayak Clubs as it is for local Ramblers Clubs when a footpath issue arises, but it doesn't seem to happen, hopefully the increased involvement in access by Chris Page will filter down.

I wonder if anyone is picking this up locally because it needs the type of involvement you describe.

Lovely river to paddle!

6. Default

Sorry, I thought I'd replied to this yesterday, but apparently not!

Thanks for posting about this

We will also be feeding into this consultation/programme of works as much as possible. We work with Severn Rivers Trust on a variety of Catchment Partnerships, including the Teme. The river does not hold a widely-recognised right of navigation, but as always we will be putting forward the need for recognition of the research on rights of navigation, and the evidence for the Teme itself. Alongside that we will be making representation of the positive benefits of considering all water users - and the potential dangers where projects on our waterways don't take all users into account. We'd welcome any thoughts from paddlers which we can help feed into this. Bringing multiple benefits to different groups (including recreational groups) is a big driver for public funding at the moment, so we need to make the case that environmental improvements designed with recreational groups in mind can not only achieve great results for the environment, but also bring much wider benefits.

The project also highlights the benefit to paddlers of getting involved in their local Catchment Based Approach partnership. You can find details of these at http://www.catchmentbasedapproach.org/. These present all with an interest in their local rivers to attend the meetings to put forward ideas, and be involved in projects to enhance the environment. The meetings are focused on the Water Framework Directive, but can - and should - take all interests into account. We try to get involved in as many of these as possible. I haven't attended the Teme yet, but our Regional Waterways Adviser has, and was able to put the paddler's perspective in. We do have a briefing document available to give paddlers more information of the Catchment Based Approach, but in the transfer to the new British Canoeing site it isn't available as a download yet - if anyone would like a copy please get in touch at chris.page@britishcanoeing.org.uk .

Thanks for the response, if there are any links that allow for remote on line contributions to consultations please provide and I'll be happy to contribute. Whilst the Teme is not a million miles from me and is on my "to do" list it's certainly not my local river so its difficult to attend consultation meetings.
    Mike

The Teme is a great river. Over the years I personally have experienced some quite negative views from Fishermen and landowners alike, and they tend to be the same, 'Get off my land!' and 'You have no rights to be here!'. I would also say that I have encountered some positive attitudes and helpful people and landowners.

There is a great phrase in the press release about 'improve access for all', lets hope this is a genuine statement.
    Just want to do more paddling

At a guess most of the work will be in improving the river for fish and aquatic life in general. I used to paddle the town section of the Teme, before the weirs were improved. Also paddled from Ludlow to little Hereford in the past. In the right levels its a great river. Though there is a lot of anti paddler sentiment from the big game estates by Ludlow.

It would be interesting to see if the river can be made more canoeing friendly, hopefully by the fishing interests acknowledging that we exist.

This is not a normal access issue in that there is 3m of public money being spent on the river, there is a well established principal to follow, that being that if public money is spent on a property then the public has a right to benefit from that investment. The landowners are taking the "Queens shilling" so they are duty bound to facilitate public access, there is no such thing as a free meal. The Anglers are public too but they are part of a commercial agreement with the landowners so don't think they count, there are few public footpaths running close to the river so the best way for them to fulfill their obligations is via we paddlers. I think this puts us in a strong position to be able to request modifications to weirs where appropriate, together with defined access points.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudman View Post
    I think this puts us in a strong position to be able to request modifications to weirs where appropriate, together with defined access points.
    Sounds entirely reasonable to me!
    Keith

This is not a normal access issue in that there is 3m of public money being spent on the river, there is a well established principal to follow, that being that if public money is spent on a property then the public has a right to benefit from that investment. The landowners are taking the "Queens shilling" so they are duty bound to facilitate public access, there is no such thing as a free meal. The Anglers are public too but they are part of a commercial agreement with the landowners so don't think they count, there are few public footpaths running close to the river so the best way for them to fulfill their obligations is via we paddlers. I think this puts us in a strong position to be able to request modifications to weirs where appropriate, together with defined access points.
    If only that were true !! having worked in conservation and landscape improvement for a long time I can say from experience that it is very unusual for the public money funder to insist on public access and even rarer for them to enforce it.

Also "Heritage Lottery" Money is not defined as public money, in that it was not raised by compulsory taxation but by voluntary contribution, from a recipients point of view this has several advantages.

As it is not government money, it can be matched funded against EU or UK government money
    It is not subject to UK or EU goverment tender regulations.
    Last edited by nantcoly; 13th-June-2015 at 06:15 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by nantcoly View Post
    If only that were true !! having worked in conservation and landscape improvement for a long time I can say from experience that it is very unusual for the public money funder to insist on public access and even rarer for them to enforce it.

Also "Heritage Lottery" Money is not defined as public money, in that it was not raised by compulsory taxation but by voluntary contribution, from a recipients point of view this has several advantages.

As it is not government money, it can be matched funded against EU or UK government money
    It is not subject to UK or EU goverment tender regulations.
    I agree we may not be able to force access, that is why I used the words "request" and "principal" but I believe it does put us in a strong position to make these requests on moral grounds if not legal grounds. I believe that public opinion is changing all the time in our favour so we should not be put off by failures of the past.