Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: We Love Aldi!

We bought one of the Aldi fishing stoves and took it to the SotP meet at Ripon. The fine adjustment on the burners could be a little better, you get it just where you think you want it and let go of the control knob and it's back to a roaring flame again. Heat output from Coleman C500 Butane/Propane cylinders is brill . For a lesser flame we used a butane cassette cylinder fitted to the stove via an adapter (as image below, from eBay) ... trouble is that the cassette cylinder plus adapter is too tall (by about 1") for the legs on the stove. I'm either going to make longer legs for the stove or a couple of small stands so that we can use one of each type of cylinder.
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

In use ... 2 trays as improvised leg extenders ...
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

Quote Originally Posted by Potty Paddler View Post
    For a lesser flame we used a butane cassette cylinder fitted to the stove via an adapter (as image below, from eBay) ... trouble is that the cassette cylinder plus adapter is too tall (by about 1") for the legs on the stove. I'm either going to make longer legs for the stove or a couple of small stands so that we can use one of each type of cylinder.
    Really useful to know - could you send / post a link to those adapters or the description you searched with.

Thanks

ps - used it tonight at a B-B-canoe on Wastwater and with the Coleman C500, boiled 1.5l of milk (for hot chocolate) in about 4-5 mins which I think is pretty good.
    Death is natures way of telling you to slow down.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxiP View Post
    Really useful to know - could you send / post a link to those adapters ...
    Here you go MaxiP ... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252386360874?

DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

Quote Originally Posted by MaxiP View Post
    So not a new deal but a new price, but don't know if just in my local store or National

Lightweight aluminum cookset (like Trangia) - was 18.99, now 6.99
    Twin burner portable stove (Coleman style connector) - was 27.99, now 12.99
    Local I think, at least they are both still full price around here, the dual burner here is 19-99, I think that's what we paid on the first day they came out.
    I wonder what they'll cost tomorrow
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

What's the heat like on the top of that canister, looks like it could get hot? You can get adapters that have the canister on it's side and a metal braided hose to connect it up.

You cannot have the cylinder on it's side on that type of stove, the fuel will leave the cylinder as a liquid and flare up.
    To run cylinders on their side or inverted, you need a stove with a pre-heat tube to evaporate the liquid into gas before it reaches the burner.

Quote Originally Posted by ictoaun View Post
    What's the heat like on the top of that canister, looks like it could get hot? You can get adapters that have the canister on it's side and a metal braided hose to connect it up.
    As you have the full black 'shelf' shielding the bottle, there is very little heat generated. Very efficient burner but will be expensive running it on Coleman fuel all the time.
    Death is natures way of telling you to slow down.

expensive running it on Coleman fuel all the time.
    Shame we can't convert them to run on Methane. I could run mine for free then
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

For a lesser flame we used a butane cassette cylinder fitted to the stove via an adapter
    Mike, is it possible to buy those cassette cylinders with a screw thread already on them, and if so, would using them work out any cheaper than using Coleman type cylinders ??
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Remember butane stops working at +5c or less, so crap in the cooler months. Wilkinsons are half price on the propane/butane canisters, 450g for 2.50 if your local store has any left.
    All the best,
    Richard
    Retired bushcrafter now happy camper

500g cans of propane/butane gas down to 2.50
    Got the last two on the shelf from my local Wilko today
    The Range are selling theirs off cheaper as well, although nowhere near as cheap as Wilko i.e 4.99 for the same size. Still 3 cheaper than the last one I bought from a local camping shop though.
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Just got an Aldi e mail saying the cookers are now half price @ 9.99.

Here's the link https://www.aldi.co.uk/p/07113804590...SummerSale2016
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Quote Originally Posted by OLD MAN View Post
    Just got an Aldi e mail saying the cookers are now half price @ 9.99.
    Thank you Paul, I just nipped out and bought one at the reduced price ... our local ALDI has still to catch with the Trangia lookalike cook sets being included in the same summer sale. Now to sort out some extended legs so I can easily use this stove with butane gas cassettes too.
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

SOmeone had one of the triangia copy things at the Big meet. He'd also got some of the bioethanol fuel they were selling to go with it. It was rubbish, the burner wouldn't work properly. I suspect the fuel was pretty dilute ethanol because I'd have expected a better flame and more heat from meths burning in an open can.
    "I'm not getting in a boat which is DESIGNED to go upside down."

Quote Originally Posted by OLD MAN View Post
    Mike, is it possible to buy those cassette cylinders with a screw thread already on them, and if so, would using them work out any cheaper than using Coleman type cylinders ??
    Not that I know of Paul, the cassettes can be cheap to sales volumes I think, and they are simple to use in the stoves et that they are intended for. The adapters are ~2 (inc P&P) from eBay and reusable.
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

As Paul mentioned ... the gas stoves are in the Aldi Summer Sale at 9-99 ... with free postage ... https://www.aldi.co.uk/fishing-stove/p/071138045901100
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

Re the Aldi meths stove, also mentioned, "Crane Fishing" stove, trangia syle......

My loving partner bought me one today (I already have a Swedish military one courtesy Military Mart for the same money)..........

The quality of Aldi's one is very poor in comparison: it is light weight aluminium, fair enough, with one large, one smaller, and one pan/lid. All of which is fine, but the pan/pot holders are very unstable, and very difficult to let go of any pan/pot on the cooker, without feeling it's going to slip and spill something. The smaller army one is very safe and secure by comparison and has a marginally larger burner....it certainly boils water quickly!

I'm very keen on unpressurised meths cookers having had one on a boat for years (Origo...you can have ovens too...), with the Aldi one, it IS cheap, it DOES work, just watch the stability of the pots and pans. You get what you pay for here? Mind you, you could easily do a stew/curry for a family on one burner with it! The pots are big enough....

...you can, I have found, jam the pan and large pot down a bit; that secures them , but doesn't help the smaller pot........

The 'Trangia' stoves are identical to ones Gelert sold a few years ago. Before using it for the first time, use a drawing pin to make sure all the burner holes are clear, as a 'stovie' I do this even with genuine Trangia burners.
    All the best,
    Richard
    Retired bushcrafter now happy camper

Quote Originally Posted by rik_uk3 View Post
    The 'Trangia' stoves are identical to ones Gelert sold a few years ago. Before using it for the first time, use a drawing pin to make sure all the burner holes are clear, as a 'stovie' I do this even with genuine Trangia burners.
    Good point (no pun intended!) thanks ...mine weren't all clear

Aldi summer sale on apparently. Portable BBQ in a bag for 14. I've a similar one which is great. Got the pan/ stove sets and kits of other decent looking stuff that's reduced too.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

I know some of you not impressed with cheap Aldi Trangia knock off now down to 14.39 at that price happy for it to kick around in car as a back up- agree very light build

of slightly more substantial build was the fishing chair now down to 20 - again at that price fine to kick around in boot of cat

Downriver from the Bywell bridge over the Tyne

Just used the trangia copy from Aldi on Loch Shiel to fry some bacon for cragger and myself. I really had to wait for the heat to come through (it was very windy) but once I had the heat it was an absolute doddle. Yes, you have to watch the balance of the frying pan but..........what do you expect for that price? Will leave it in the car from now on, maybe get a bag for it too ☺☺☺

"Thinking means not knowing"

Today's specials ... a heat powered stove fan for 24.99, ideal for folks with tee-pees & Frontier stoves to share the heat around their palatial tents ... I nabbed one to sit on my wood burning stove at home

also they'd got infra-red thermometers at 12.99p ... ideal when someone says is that Kelly Kettle near to boiling yet

DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

Quote Originally Posted by Potty Paddler View Post
    As Paul mentioned ... the gas stoves are in the Aldi Summer Sale at 9-99 ... with free postage ... https://www.aldi.co.uk/fishing-stove/p/071138045901100
    7:99 I. My local aldi today
    nature is m X-box

Waterproof socks in on Thursday this week for 13.

Quote Originally Posted by Silent View Post
    You cannot have the cylinder on it's side on that type of stove, the fuel will leave the cylinder as a liquid and flare up.
    To run cylinders on their side or inverted, you need a stove with a pre-heat tube to evaporate the liquid into gas before it reaches the burner.
    That type of canister has a notch in the rim that indicates the position of a "snorkel" that only supplies gas if it's in the correct position. Most of the devices that use those canisters have them laying flat. The adapter that I mentioned is similar to this

Quote Originally Posted by laurence milton View Post
    Re the Aldi meths stove, also mentioned, "Crane Fishing" stove, trangia syle......

My loving partner bought me one today (I already have a Swedish military one courtesy Military Mart for the same money)..........

The quality of Aldi's one is very poor in comparison: it is light weight aluminium, fair enough, with one large, one smaller, and one pan/lid. All of which is fine, but the pan/pot holders are very unstable, and very difficult to let go of any pan/pot on the cooker, without feeling it's going to slip and spill something. The smaller army one is very safe and secure by comparison and has a marginally larger burner....it certainly boils water quickly!

I'm very keen on unpressurised meths cookers having had one on a boat for years (Origo...you can have ovens too...), with the Aldi one, it IS cheap, it DOES work, just watch the stability of the pots and pans. You get what you pay for here? Mind you, you could easily do a stew/curry for a family on one burner with it! The pots are big enough....
    Not sure now about these crane stoves. Went for a long walk with the family today and put it on for a few bacon sarnies
    It took ages to heat up and I even put the frying pan onto the wind break Base. Still, it took some time but we got bacon sandwiches and German curry sausages eventually :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
    Not sure now about these crane stoves. Went for a long walk with the family today and put it on for a few bacon sarnies
    It took ages to heat up and I even put the frying pan onto the wind break Base. Still, it took some time but we got bacon sandwiches and German curry sausages eventually :-)
    Ooops. Entirely my fault. Had a good look at the burner, cleaned the holes and....voila excellent bit of kit

Gym kit in last Monday apparently. That's right air bags for 5.99 (apparently gym balls make good air bags)

Fishing stuff was in yesterday including the infamous neoprene wellies

Devon ..just up from the bottom and right a bit.

Wellie I never was just going to post they're in! Picked up a pair... Seem just fine...time will tell.

Note...you get 2 free balloons with em.

Also try this soup mix and this muesli is lovely...and cheap.

Wellies, brill ... I wonder if they are still in as some folks in this household keep nicking mine.
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

I was looking at these yesterday. Silly question but, are they waterproof all the way up?

Well the are sealed the same as my neoprene waders..Infact better. So comfy with my army issue wool socks..toasty! They'll be up the farm shooting soon.

Well they are sealed the same as my neoprene waders..Infact better. So comfy with my army issue wool socks..toasty! They'll be up the farm shooting soon.

It's exercise time at our favourite shop so I picked up another double thickness exercise mat for sticking inside my new boat. I had a spare but it was blue and at 13 I thought the charcoal grey would better match the boat I'm currently outfitting.

I've been using these mats for a year in my other boat and they have performed brilliantly. Very comfy and thick enough to keep my knees and toes dry even when there are small puddles in the boat.
    "I'd far rather be happy than right any day"..........Slartibartfast

100% Merino wool skullcaps. 5.99. Ideal to wear under the ubiquitous Tilley hat on cold days, or for year round use if you're bald like me!

Lightweight hammock in stock, nylon, 2.75 x 1.5 10 including ropes, krabs what's not to like?
    nature is m X-box

Quote Originally Posted by andym View Post
    Lightweight hammock in stock, nylon, 2.75 x 1.5 10 including ropes, krabs what's not to like?
    Im going to the recycling center later and that happens to be next to Aldi....Nuff said

Bought one the other day - not bad and I can get an almost flat lay - I'm 6'2".

Cheers for the headsup, I picked a couple up on saturday night

Next Thursday. Dry bags! Seems they've expanded their selection to include one with a window and a duffel bag!

Inflatable Sofa - just add paddle !
    https://www.aldi.co.uk/adventuridge-...76822151808600

Are the dry bags any good?

Mine are still going strong after 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by tmcox View Post
    Are the dry bags any good?

I have four of them (the free standing ones) and so far they have never let me down.
    They have done loads of trips including four big Scottish trips complete with portages. We put four sleeping bags in two of these bags and don't open them until we reach camp each day thereby minimising opening and closing.
    Bootstrap
    There's no such thing as inclement weather - you're just incorrectly dressed

Are they good for river usage then or just less risky lake use?
    I know you would frequently double bag to reduce the chances of a wet sleeping bag for example.

The dry bags are....dry. Don't over fill and roll them down plenty. Saying that high value and or electronic items are better in quality hard storage.

Put it this way... I've used them as washing machines ... Rolling down a hill with laundry inside, didn't spill a drop.

Quote Originally Posted by Teign Beaver View Post
    Put it this way... I've used them as washing machines ... Rolling down a hill with laundry inside, didn't spill a drop.
    Awesome. I love that idea.
    Thanks

The drybags are great, I use one as added flotation in my kayak, solid as a rock & never needs to be re done unless I have more gear in my fore hatch.

I use mine mostly as a wet kit bag. Think I'll get a 25l one and a duffel one to accompany it

Thanks for the heads up. They're available to pre-order on the website now, so I've bagged mine
    "I'd far rather be happy than right any day"..........Slartibartfast

Sup 249
    Worth a punt for the odd occasion provided it's stiff enough?
    nature is m X-box

Sup 249
    Worth a punt for the odd occasion provided it's stiff enough?
    Actress and Bishop alert !

Bought a couple a few years back, initially for the boat, but also now use with the canoe as well,. They've been absolutely fine, and for a tenner have now bought the 50 l duffel bag. Looks great........
    Also wanted their 40 kitchen unit for the bell tent, but not in my local store........

59. Default

Went down to Aldi (25 miles away) early on Thursday and loaded up with drybags - just as well - by the time I went around 20 minutes later they had almost sold out.

I am still using one I bought from them not long after Aldi opened in the UK - solid.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123