Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: We Love Aldi!

don't you have any relatives near Aldi you can ask to get and collect next time you see them just a thought
    People keep telling me im in my second childhood I never left my first

Rockin' the new Aldi boots and Fishing All-in-one look today

Quote Originally Posted by cragger View Post
    don't you have any relatives near Aldi you can ask to get and collect next time you see them just a thought
    ... and can incentivise to be there before opening time on the day of the sale, and are robust enough to get to, and claim, the coveted item and see it safely to the till (or you regard them as expendible ) ... it maybe safer to incentivise Tony (and others) who have a proven track record in this mayhem
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

Quote Originally Posted by Bren View Post
    Bren ... I'm liking the look of the all-in-one suit ... with the hood removed do you think it'd work as a good underlayer for a dry-suit in cold weather?
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

Quote Originally Posted by Potty Paddler View Post
    Bren ... I'm liking the look of the all-in-one suit ... with the hood removed do you think it'd work as a good underlayer for a dry-suit in cold weather?
    Yeah...it's really similar to the one that came with my Hyperdry dry suit. You might not even need to remove the hood, it goes pretty flat down my back.

Yeah...it's really similar to the one that came with my Hyperdry dry suit. You might not even need to remove the hood, it goes pretty flat down my back.
    I should have done this as a PM ... we might just have created a stampede
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

I should have done this as a PM ... we might just have created a stampede
    Doh...glad I got one before the rush

Quote Originally Posted by bren View Post
    doh...glad i got one before the rush
    tee hee
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

deleted !
    Last edited by spyro; 17th-January-2016 at 07:31 PM.

Oh I must of missed those.................Should I send the other half down tomorrow????????.........................
    "I am easily satisfied with the very best" Sir Winston Churchill, He once owned an Apache too!

Well, the local Aldi here in S.Northants was sold out of the boots this morning, so it looks like another winner for the company.
    Fortunately, they still had ample stocks of Toro Loco red wine.......

Looked in Aldi in Macclesfield today, only 2 of the all in one suits remained, both XL, I took one ... I've now tried it on ... XL is good, don't think L would be wide enough for me
    I might get away with the hood folding flat under my drysuit ... but I'll test it out on dry land first, sitting on the floor in a tight tuck and getting someone else to check the back of my neck-seal still works OK. The double operation zip is brill, may be able to use the "comfort" zip on my drysuit in an emergency ... as the 2 zips are at 90 degrees to each other I might need to enroll on a keyhole surgery course beforehand
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

A more expensive option would be British Thermals' Mens Thermal All-In-One Suit (With Rear Flap) ~ 29 - go up to Ex-Ex-Large (Chest: 48-50 inches) - made right here in Lesta!. (not endorsing & no connection, just mentioning for general info).

Tee Hee ... I have enough problems with the opposing directions of the "comfort" zip on my MS4 and the zips on my inner linings ... anyone managing a rear flap deserves an award
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

While we are on the zip issue - is there enough access on their trousers ?
    https://www.aldi.co.uk/men%27s-padde...68811007564200

Dam - just noticed they were on sale 4 days ago

3 days 23hrs and 50mins too late me old china......................... if you manage to get your hands on any well............................I will buy them myself for you
    "I am easily satisfied with the very best" Sir Winston Churchill, He once owned an Apache too!

I was in an also yesterday and they still had some, it's worth checking and asking a member of staff of your interested

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by henrycrun View Post
    While we are on the zip issue - is there enough access on their trousers ?
    https://www.aldi.co.uk/men%27s-padde...68811007564200

Dam - just noticed they were on sale 4 days ago
    If you want a pair you may still be lucky, as there were a lot more of the fishing trousers left in the Macc store than the onesie undersuits when I looked. Would I use them for canoeing, maybe not, as I end up standing in the water too often ... so dry trousers (with ankle seals), dry suit (dry sock heaven)... or more often than not ... just shorts

DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

Lots of "Onesies" left in the Lewes branch. Got myself a black one for slobbing around the house :-)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
    There are three types of people in the world:
    Those who can count and those who can't.

Got some !

The Aldi fishing trousers have a double ended zip (under the long Velcro flap) for mens comfort duty.

I think this garment could be very useful for avoiding a drafty midrift in any winter outdoor activity.

Quote Originally Posted by henrycrun View Post
    Got some !

The Aldi fishing trousers have a double ended zip (under the long Velcro flap) for mens comfort duty.

I think this garment could be very useful for avoiding a drafty midrift in any winter outdoor activity.
    Does that mean I have to get my check book out? can I pay by instalments?.........................Now wheres my cap........ I feel a tad hungry

Bought one of them "bbqs"Two years ago from Aldi,12.99 never seen a better compact one yet.

East to keep clean,store.

In my local Aldi today, a bluetooth GPS watch and heart monitor, reduced from 59-99 to 49-99 ... was it a bargain? ... it rather depends on whether or not I can figure out how to use it.
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

I bought the watch a couple of years ago and used it for all my CRR training and the race. It's excellent and I believe compares favourably with 300 offerings in poncier outdoor stores. Never used the heart monitor, maybe I could attach it to my paddle to measure my cadence?

Seems worth a punt??
    https://www.aldi.co.uk/specialbuys/a...Bound=80&text=

The small axe at 4-99, available from 24th April

Quote Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
    Seems worth a punt??
    https://www.aldi.co.uk/specialbuys/a...Bound=80&text=

The small axe at 4-99, available from 24th April
    If you like fibre glass axe handles........

I've bought one of these for a gift - was most impressed-nice bit of kit...be going to get one for myself soon.

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Land...and+Axe/p49941

The aldi folding BBQ is back............bigger which is better for me.......same price as last year I think. Next Thursday

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Tempting

Nice one Bren, had both of my original Aldi BBQs running last week. They are brill ... but BIGGER sounds better
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

You can pre-order with free delivery on-line... as I have done

Quote Originally Posted by mayobren View Post
    The aldi folding BBQ is back............bigger which is better for me.......same price as last year I think. Next Thursday

Well mine has arrived today - it's massive!

Weight is 2.8kg, dimensions per box - nice and easy to assemble, bargain at 12.99

Just picked one up for car BBQing and quite impressed. Well made, good size & excellent price.
    Death is natures way of telling you to slow down.

Yes mine also arrived today......very good size

I resisted the temptation when you posted about these BBQs, only to be sent to ALDI yesterday, by my wife, to find party nibbles.

And do you know what? One of these BBQs forced itself on me!

Quote Originally Posted by rbm109 View Post
    I resisted the temptation when you posted about these BBQs, only to be sent to ALDI yesterday, by my wife, to find party nibbles.

And do you know what? One of these BBQs forced itself on me!
    I hate it when that happens

Quote Originally Posted by rbm109 View Post

And do you know what? One of these BBQs forced itself on me.
    I'm so glad that it wasn't just me. ALDI didn't have the item that I was sent out to find but I still seem to have arrived back at home with a folding BBQ
    Last edited by Potty Paddler; 28th-May-2016 at 08:40 PM.
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

Smile

For comparison last year's ALDI folding 12-99 stainless BBQ ... on top of this year's ALDI folding 12-99 stainless BBQ

DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

Just back from Aldi, I went to get some wasp killer as there is a nest in my goose's hut.
    I came back with a Garmin Edge 25 Bike GPS Computer, it's waterproof to IPX7, can't see any reason why it shouldn't work in my canoe to give me time, distance & speed readouts as I'm paddling along Synced with a smartphone it'll even allow me to be live tracked.
    The battery life isn't quite up to recording the Cheshire Ring though at 6-8Hrs ... I wonder if it'll run whilst charging with a power block?
    Seems pretty good for 59-99p, this may be a discounted/end of line price as it was red ticketed in the locked specials cabinet.

Here's a review ... http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/06/g...dge-20-25.html
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

Downriver from the Bywell bridge over the Tyne

Has anyone else got a trail cam of Aldi? Only 69.99
    Couldn't resist a couple of days ago ☺☺☺

"Pedal five hundred miles on a bicycle and you remain basically a bourgeois; paddle a hundred in a canoe and you are already a child of nature" - Pierre Trudeau

That's their wildlife cam? ... yep, I've got one. It picks up rodents etc brill, the IR detectors don't seem to work that well on birds though, I suspect they are that well insulated that their external feathers are at ~ ambient temperature and so don't trigger record. The trail cam identified our nocturnal greenhouse raiders as field mice. :-)
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

That's their wildlife cam? ... yep, I've got one. It picks up rodents etc brill, the IR detectors don't seem to work that well on birds though, I suspect they are that well insulated that their external feathers are at ~ ambient temperature and so don't trigger record. The trail cam identified our nocturnal greenhouse raiders as field mice. :-)
    Just put this cam up last night. On a trail through a bit of rough stuff. Set it on video and belive me, footage and quality are brilliant. Will make a wee film of it later today but not sure where to post it on here. Excellent piece of kit!!!!

"Pedal five hundred miles on a bicycle and you remain basically a bourgeois; paddle a hundred in a canoe and you are already a child of nature" - Pierre Trudeau

Just put this cam up last night. On a trail through a to day bit of rough stuff. Set it on video and belive me, footage and quality are brilliant. Will make a wee film of it later today but not sure where to post it on here. Excellent piece of kit!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MaxiP View Post
    Just picked one up for car BBQing and quite impressed. Well made, good size & excellent price.
    Needing a new BBQ, will have to check out what Aldis has to offer!

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorchappy View Post
    Needing a new BBQ, will have to check out what Aldis has to offer!
    You might be really lucky, if your local store has any they might now be reduced, fingers crossed ... I suspect they are all long gone though ... until the next time they do a similar special.
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

You might be really lucky, if your local store has any they might now be reduced, fingers crossed ... I suspect they are all long gone though ... until the next time they do a similar special.
    Aldi now have an on line mail order service which currently has free delivery. A search might find that what is required could be still in stock in their warehouse.
    The downside is that they use Yodel as their courier, with whom I am currently experiencing difficulties and whose customer service is appalling !!
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Tescos have a slightly smaller one with a bag Here

Quote Originally Posted by Cumbria View Post
    There seem to be so many bargains in Aldi, I wonder if they warrant their own sticky thread. Waterproof cameras, floor mats, more clothes that you can shake a stick at, next week they've got a backpacking tent for 20 - 2000mm HH I'm gonna buy one at that price - even if I get a summer out of it, it's 20 quid!
    For 20 I much prefer my Polish Army Lavvu, quite amazing for the money...and yes I did buy an Aldi tent on spec........

For 20 I much prefer my Polish Army Lavvu
    Does the diameter of these vary ? I see the one from Military Mart is 1.7 metres diameter, but another one I've seen advertised on Amazon is billed as being 2.4 metres diameter. That's quite a difference, especially for a tall person.
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Quote Originally Posted by OLD MAN View Post
    Does the diameter of these vary ? I see the one from Military Mart is 1.7 metres diameter, but another one I've seen advertised on Amazon is billed as being 2.4 metres diameter. That's quite a difference, especially for a tall person.

There are apparently 3 sizes, but only vary by inches. I have one Lavvu (2 in total....don't ask) that is actually 2 different sizes of poncho mixed together. It makes not a diddly's worth of difference. I am a tall person at 6' 4" and there is over 7 ' diameter in both mine . Absolutely waterproof, pitch inside out, with button sleeves on outside. Superb.

All sorts of mods can be done to these should the will be there, but everything is there to work "out of the box" as it were.

If ordering from MM., ask for the three ring (largest size), but don't worry if it's mixed with a 2 ring one...................
    Last edited by laurence milton; 16th-August-2016 at 04:52 PM.

Smashing, thanks for all the info.
    Sorry to hijack the thread a little
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Wheelbarow wheels for 7.99 each. Similar to those fitted on many portage trolleys. Check the bore size though.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/wheelbarrow-w...51985004467400

I've personally gone for solid tyres on mine now but you can't buy a tube for that price.
    "I'm not getting in a boat which is DESIGNED to go upside down."

So not a new deal but a new price, but don't know if just in my local store or National

Lightweight aluminum cookset (like Trangia) - was 18.99, now 6.99
    Twin burner portable stove (Coleman style connector) - was 27.99, now 12.99

Obviously, both are now in my garage !! Having just had a campfire night with friends, I tested the stove (they call it a fisherman's stove) and it's very good - will drain my C100 in no time but that was only for a test (normally lives in my Alpkit Brukit [Jetboil]). The stove needs a separate cylinder for each burner (C500 will fit under nicely) but I'm sure you can make a modification to use a single, larger cylinder to feed both burners.

I don't suppose you can provide a link to the stove ? I've been searching the website but can't find it.
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

I don't suppose you can provide a link to the stove ? I've been searching the website but can't find it.
    I couldn't find it either but the closest photo is here - obviously as it's Aldi, it has Crane branding.

Here's a photo of mine with a C100 cylinder for size reference.

Thanks for that Maxi. I saw them in store last week at 20 and nearly picked one up but I had SWMBO WITH me and I couldn't face the thought of being interrogated as to why I needed one.
    Glad I didn't get it now as I didn't realise they need two gas cartridges
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Glad I didn't get it now as I didn't realise they need two gas cartridges
    To be honest, neither did I but I don't think that is insurmountable I'm sure I can work out how to use a single large bottle. If not, will probably use as a single burner most of the time - it's quite stable so will be easier to use that many other single burner stoves.

A bit off topic but Wilko have reduced all their instore outdoor stock, 500g cans of propane/butane gas down to 2.50, 250g down to 2. All the cool boxes are reduced, I got a dinky 12l one for a tenner.
    All the best,
    Richard
    Retired bushcrafter now happy camper

Quote Originally Posted by MaxiP View Post
    To be honest, neither did I but I don't think that is insurmountable I'm sure I can work out how to use a single large bottle. If not, will probably use as a single burner most of the time - it's quite stable so will be easier to use that many other single burner stoves.
    Well I was in Aldi this morning and they still had these cookers, and at a reduced price, so it seemed churlish not to get one.

I haven't got a clue about converting it to run off a single, large cylinder, so I'll let you do legwork and hopefully you'll let me know how you did it.
    I have a large camping gas cylinder I'd quite like to use, what do you think the chances are ??

Like you, I like the fact that it seem stable.
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Well I was in Aldi this morning and they still had these cookers, and at a reduced price, so it seemed churlish not to get one.

I haven't got a clue about converting it to run off a single, large cylinder, so I'll let you do legwork and hopefully you'll let me know how you did it.
    I have a large camping gas cylinder I'd quite like to use, what do you think the chances are ??

Tried using one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/28-Pack-But...CVH27NEPEPPYXY
    together with a screwed converter, but they're too high so cooker won't stand on its feet.
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

I'll have a google / play later and see what I think can be done. Was in Millets earlier and picked up a couple of C500 for 6 each but was 15% discount as bought some stuff for DofE at the same time

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast