Thread: Beaulieu River

Default Beaulieu River

I have just received an email from BCU regarding "Go canoeing week" and advertising guided trips on the Beaulieu River.

The relevant website is:

http://www.gocanoeingweek.org.uk/act...tes/new-forest

It states:

"As the River is privately owned and managed by Beaulieu Estate, you’ll still need to come along at the allocated time slots."

and then:

"The River is tidal so timings have been devised to make the most of each day."

I do not know the local details but can a tidal river be privately owned?

Alan

I believe this is an almost unique situation where control of navigation was granted on tidal waters, to the local estate.

However, you can paddle this whenever you want, for example from Buckler's Hard, where you can pay a fee to launch and park (£7 last year I think), and do your own thing. The linked event is basically a commercial operation, from what I can see.

Time slots do sort of make sense, to make the best of the tide, as it flows fast at times.

Its a beautiful river: http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...Beaulieu-River
    Covering as many malmiles as possible before being distracted by the pub!

Paddle Points - where to paddle

By the look of things the start and finish points are on the estate hence access is over private land, the banks are private land therefore.

However the river at that point is tidal and free for navigation up to the high water mark. Also the foreshore up to the high water mark is generally regarded as Crown Land and accessible to the public. So I believe you could land between high and low water marks.

However there are I believe a few historical cases where the foreshore has been given/sold to an individual landowner by the Crown.

So if access can be gained to the river from public land there is no restriction on when and where you can paddle.

If I am incorrect then hopefully someone will put me right.

Edit: Beaten to it by Mal with some better info.

If the weather and tides are kind you can paddle from Lepe beach,

That said I have paddled from Bucklers Hard, and the foreshore and never been asked or told off or questioned.

Enjoy

In an email of 26/11/2011 (dealing with a tidal section of the River Avon at Christchurch) Gary Thompson, Coastal Manager of the Crown Estate said to me

I would also like to clarify that TCE [The Crown Estate] is a landowner only and not a regulating authority and therefore could not own, sell, transfer nor regulate the public rights of navigation or fishing. These are public rights governed by common law.
    I interpreted this as saying that the Crown holds the public right of navigation in trust for the public and can't (and never could) give it away! The Beaulieu Estate is undoubtedly the Harbour Master for the tidal river so I think there is a public right of navigation subject to paying harbour fees and observing harbour regulations.
    Keith

Romsey, Paddle estuaries within an hour, also club member and coach, and scout canoeing helper

Quote Originally Posted by KeithD View Post
    In an email of 26/11/2011 (dealing with a tidal section of the River Avon at Christchurch) Gary Thompson, Coastal Manager of the Crown Estate said to me

The Beaulieu Estate is undoubtedly the Harbour Master for the tidal river so I think there is a public right of navigation subject to paying harbour fees and observing harbour regulations.
    That is my understanding - I have paddled from Lepe to Beaulieu and back. Be prepared to pay the fee (if asked) but I have not been asked any time I have paddled there.
    Brevan
    Brevan,
    1664 - a great year for river access
    Romsey, Hampshire
    Twitter: BrevanM
    Follow my blog at http://riveraccessrights.blogspot.com/

I visited the river on a windy day so launched from Buckley's Hard. I needed to park my car so was content to pay the fee. It wasn't so very dear.

Thanks to all concerned for the informative replies to my original question

Alan

From memory of sailing yachts up there - navigation not a problem but [for the reason that the Crown had given the rights to tidal bed before Magna Carta] then if you drop anchor the estate bailiff,who patrols in a small launch, will demand a fee. Have paddled a kayak up from Lepe [you really need to get your tide right - up with the flood and back out with the ebb] and landed at Bucklers Hard and no one seemed that bothered. And word of warning due to some back eddies the ebb doesn't seem to help as much as you might think especially around Needsoar point