Thread: Abbey River (Thames)- added gravel beds impact on navigation.

Default Abbey River (Thames)- added gravel beds impact on navigation.

I've learned that recently the EA have undertaken work on the Abbey River at Chertsey which may impact (positively and negatively) on the ease of navigation.

Firstly, they have cut back a lot the weed (pennywort) which should make passage through the Abbey River easier. Secondly however, they have added tons of gravel to the river to improve conditions for spawning fish and some further works at the weir which may impact on water levels. It would therefore be very useful if regular paddles took place throughout the spring and summer to monitor the impact of these works and ensure the EA Harbour Master (andrew.graham@environment-agency.co.uk) is advised of any negative impacts.

Can anyone paddling this Thames backwater please also report their experiences here.
    Last edited by KeithD; 30th-April-2015 at 10:42 AM.
    Keith

Hi Keith

I'll try and get over there in the next few weeks.

M
    Covering as many malmiles as possible before being distracted by the pub!

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Me too

Impcanoe

Eton on the banks of the River Thames between Windsor and Slough

I am going over on Tuesday after work, together with a British Canoeing access person.

This is on the BC website: http://www.canoe-england.org.uk/news...hertsey-surrey
    Fran

Photobucket stole my sig

I paddled it yesterday, and was fully expecting it to be a nightmare given that it's the height of summer!

There were a few areas where paddling just wasn't possible, but there were notably gravelled areas that were largely clear of vegetation so this seems to be working.

Apart from that there were a few trees partially blocking the way, but nothing that required portaging.

Quote Originally Posted by John K View Post
    I paddled it yesterday, and was fully expecting it to be a nightmare given that it's the height of summer!

There were a few areas where paddling just wasn't possible, but there were notably gravelled areas that were largely clear of vegetation so this seems to be working.

Apart from that there were a few trees partially blocking the way, but nothing that required portaging.

Thanks John, thinking of heading down again sometime soon. As you say, you'd expect the height of summer to be the worst time, but my hardest fight with the floating salad was one Christmas Eve...

I've paddled it twice since the changes, seems to be a slight improvement, but still the same problem areas before and after. I just see it as a different challenge!
    Covering as many malmiles as possible before being distracted by the pub!

Paddle Points - where to paddle

I love the Abbey...it is a proper mini canoe adventure and a tonic to nearby suburban London.
    '...you can led a horse to water but a pencil must be lead...' Stan Laurel