Thread: Is there a reduction in conflict?

Default Is there a reduction in conflict?

I haven't noticed any/many reports of incidents/conflict over the last few months. Am I being unobservant, are paddlers no longer reporting such incidents or is there actually a reduction in levels of conflict? If it's the latter then that's obviously good news! If that is the case what do you think has caused the change and how can we build on it?
    Keith

Another possibility is that fewer paddlers are paddling on rivers where conflict might occur. This would be in line with the advice often given here to not seek conflict with anglers. Where I live, conflict with anglers is guaranteed. Anglers are now aware of Dr Caffyn and the BCU campaign for access, and will tell you it is rubbish, as a prelude to offering you more abuse and threats.
    Last edited by dougdew99; 4th-April-2015 at 04:04 AM.
    Doug Dew
    "The best is yet to come" My Father

I think a lot of the past troubles were generated by the need to be seen to be against paddlers on principal, maybe they are beginning to realise that we can coexist and that we are not out to destroy their sport. Lets face it if the British can be friends with Germany and Japan surely the paddlers and anglers can learn to live with each other given time.
    "Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men"
    Grp Cpt Sir Douglas Bader CBE,DSO,DFC,FRAeS.

maybe there are many more anglers who paddle too......?

Maybe they have visited the RAFA website and realise that resistance is futile.

I doubt anything much has changed.

Most of this kicked off a couple of years ago when Benyon, the minister then responsible made some statements about canoeing which were widely commented on in fishing and then canoeing forums. As you would expect this provoked a lot of discussion about who was right and wrong and inflamed feelings in some, from both sides.

I'm guessing nothing has been said or done since which has been enough to inflame feelings on either side.
    http://www.davidwperry.blogspot.co.uk/

It must have been a blow to the anglers moral to lose their pet minister "Tricky Dicky", as soon as he had gone the coastal path had a surge of extra activity. The new political make up after this election could be far more access friendly due to the influence the smaller parties may have.

Journal Entries

Some people thrive on drama and conflict and there lives are less meaningful without it so they will always work to insure there is something going on, and when it dies off they will stir it up again.

Of these kinds of people, the lawyers learn to profit from it, others learn to avoid the drama after being rebuked and isolated by their friends, and the rest just die alone.

There is always only one response that makes sense if someone tries to keep you from canoeing...

Crush your enemies,
    See them driven before you,
    and hear the lamentation of their women...
    Lloyd

Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug...