Thread: Invitation - Boating "Britain's Magical Waterland" - Norfolk Broads - April 2015

Default Invitation - Boating "Britain's Magical Waterland" - Norfolk Broads - April 2015

Last year, many of us attended an SOTP Norfolk Broads Meet

Coming next month - a joint meet of assorted groups, based at the finest venue on the Norfolk Broads:

• Open Canoe Sailing Group
    • Home Built Boat Rally
    • Wooden Canoe Heritage Association​
    • Historic Canoe and Kayak Association
    • Open Canoe Association​
    • Song of the Paddle

Date - 17th - 19th April

Mid-way between Easter and the May Bank Holiday

This event will be hosted by Simon and Sheila Fishwick at the Barton Turf Adventure Centre: a 7-acre sailing school with a wonderfully tranquil campground, a nice common-room for us to share, a nature reserve, a private dock / slipway... and more!

Expect fantastic catering (home cooked breakfasts and multi-course evening meals) and great company

More more details: http://on.fb.me/1FSDSy9

Last edited by GregandGinaS; 18th-March-2015 at 07:15 AM.

Visitors beware - the meet comes with options for the best home cooked breakfast and hot dinner options of the canoeing year

Visitors are welcome to self-cater.... but in our experience, those who attends intending to self cater commonly change their minds.... which is fine, right up until Simon and Sheila run out of food! Breakfast will be available, as will buffet lunch, and evening meals. See the booking form for prices. Again advance booking is really, REALLY appreciated.

Last time, everyone joined in with one most agreeable evening BBQ: we'd like to do the same again on the Saturday night.

All payments for camping / food (and any Race Craft Tolls) will be payable direct to Barton Turf Activities Centre. Enquiries - just ask here!

***** Accommodation details *****

The campsite will be available for additional nights both before and after the weekend. Simon and Sheila should have space for everyone as the site is vast, though they have a strict limit for campervans MUST be booked in advance. All camping enquiries should be directed to bookings@btac-services.co.uk

Camping costs:
    • Own-tent camping will be 5 per person per night (maximum 12 per pitch).
    • Permanent tents with fixed beds are available at 10 per person per night (own sleeping bags are essential).

Note: visitors with trailers or larger vehicles are encouraged to approach via Neatishead as the alternative route in has a 3/4 mile stretch without suitable passing places.

All payments for camping / food (and any Race Craft Tolls) will be payable direct to Barton Turf Activities Centre. Enquiries - just ask here!

With over 200 kilometres (120 mi) of lock-free navigable waterways, seven rivers and 63 broads and a unique, wildlife-rich rich landscape covering a total area of 303 square kilometres (117 sq mi)... and with a romance evoked in Arthur Ransome's Swallows and Amazons... it's hardly surprising that Nick Crane (of BBC fame) is happy to plug his "childhood playground" as a truly special place for canoeing...

More on the area on the Norfolk Wildlife Trust website:

Norfolk and Suffolk Broads are Britain's largest protected wetland and third largest inland waterway, with the status of a national park. It is also home to some of the rarest plants and animals in the UK. There are over 200 km of navigable waterways, and many more small waterways, which provide a refuge for the wealth of wildlife. Exploring this area by canoe can provide you with hidden gems, otherwise out of view from pedestrians and motor craft.
    This Enjoy the Broads map shows the area:

The centre is located at the NW corner of Barton Broad: top left of the open water in this Literary Norfolk photo...

Lots of information, Greg, but I can't see the actual date.
    Juvanile delinkwit, vaguely faffing around with a pair of pliers. Du skal ikke tro at du er bedre end mig!

Quote Originally Posted by Rockhopper View Post
    Lots of information, Greg, but I can't see the actual date
    Ah -minor omission! Opening post updated

Note: Simon and Sheila can accommodate visitors for a day or two before and after the weekend. Don't expect the fully catered option of the weekend... but visitors will be able to camp, to access the toilet block / showers and to launch... and the nature reserve and so on will still be there

The link says 17-19th April (oops, beaten me to it)

See you there roundabout lunchtime Friday, loved it last time and looking forward to going there again.

Looking forward to this muchly. Probably my favourite little corner of the UK.

Fredster, also known as The Commodore.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirus View Post
    See you there roundabout lunchtime Friday, loved it last time and looking forward to going there again.
    Black pudding starter & steak and kidney main again??
    Get Paddling!

Blott

Sounds great to me

Will be there Friday for a lunchtime paddle or sail I reckon.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirus View Post
    Time for an afternoon paddle then?

Update - 28 Booked to date - with about as many days to go

It's worth the drive to get there and it's such a lovely place for a paddle.

Looks like I'll only be able to do the Saturday I'm afraid. Can you let me know the plan so I can make sure I get there in time?
    Thanks
    Sam

I was hoping to get there but have been ill for the last few weeks with a chest infection, recovering slowly with the help of antibiotics but don't expect to be fully recovered for another couple of weeks. Have a good meet.

Update - I've just had confirmation of 40+ bookings for next weekend. Anyone else want to join us?

Bugger, on the broads that weekend, but down south on a cruiser.
    Just for info. If anybody fancies some really good beer, one of the best Norfolk Broads pubs is not too far from there, and would be a nice paddle. The White Horse at Neatishead has been turned around by the new owners, its absolutely fantastic.

This is approaching rapidly. I have some WCHA members coming along with wooden canoes of varying ages. I will be packing my 1909 Peterborough Cedar Rib sailing canoe and for general paddling and to take the hound and a guest, my Bell Chestnut Prospector. The Black bag of farts hound is coming too along with the last Coypu in Norfolk. I will aim to arrive at lunchtime Friday for an afternoon paddle and will then decamp for supper to the Fur and Feathers at Woodbastwick ( a drive away and you will need to book a table; its the Woodfordes brewery :O )
    Looking forward to this muchly. Early morning otter spotting is on my agenda too.

To set the tone and flavour..........

Get packing!
    Get Paddling!

Blott

Have a great weekend folks!

Hope to get on the water for a bit, but duty calls - parent's Golden Wedding....fortunately they want to include some paddlin'!
    Covering as many malmiles as possible before being distracted by the pub!

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Exclamation A47 roadworks

Be aware of these roadworks going on this weekend http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/a47_week...ists_1_4034764

Cheers for the heads up Rich, will avoid the A47. Up there early tomorrow.