Thread: Sad news from the Spey

Default Sad news from the Spey

I saw yesterday in the Telegraph obituaries that Clive Freshwater has died. He was the founder and owner of the loch Insh wateports centre which many people starting their trip down the spey will have used. A great centre either for the Spey or for staying when walking, climbing etc in and around the Cairngorms. Perhaps more importantly its worth noting that Clive Freshwater won a major access battle in overcoming the opposition to canoeing on the Spey from the fishing interests culminating in the Wills Trustees v Cairngorm Canoe and Sailing School court case that went all the way to the House of Lords. I understand that Clive Freshwater's family are still running loch Insh and good luck to them, a great place to stay.
    Mike

A great guy, whom I knew personally as a skier, and by reputation as a fighter for access. Time and tide wait for no man.

Impcanoe

The Wills Trustees case was a major breakthrough that clarified many aspects of the common law of nations as it applied to navigation. To take such a case all the way to the House of Lords takes great perseverance. I didn't know Clive but I will be forever in his debt.
    Keith