Thread: A pic of my new Optimist sail on canoe.

Default A pic of my new Optimist sail on canoe.

Here's a pic of my new Oppy sail on my canoe:

I'm pleased with it but have yet to sail it. Its a radial cut sail which I am told is advantageous. Took me an age to remove all the stickers and Oppy logo - you can still see the 'ghost' of text but hey ho. Hope to get out on it next weekend and will report back then.

Fredster, also known as The Commodore.

Is this going to be a paddle controlled sailing adventure?
    Dr. Joe
    Electric Hospital
    Coos Bay Or
    http://electrichospital.com

No Joe, will be using rudder and lee board. I tried paddle sailing with my previous setup but decided it wasn't for me.

Looks good. It looks bigger than 35 sqr ft, but it could be an illusion.

At the Rutland Water meet in June, there will be some training on paddle sailing if anyone is interested.

Great work, Fredster - hope it goes well! BTW the foot looks a bit tight in the pic - I'm sure you'll give it a bit of shape when you take it out, especially in light winds?

The sail is tied along the boom so you may not be able to put much shape in the foot. Having another tie around the boom on the clew (outermost corner of the foot of the sail) separate from the outhaul would help. Also the line at the bottom end of the yard should be shorter to keep it tight to the mast. This will allow a bit more shape in the sail behind the mast.

Cheers for the kind words and tips guys. I'm glad the 'shape' of the sail foot has been brought up as its been puzzling me a bit. As Dave says, its tied along the boom at 30cm intervals, but it also has an outhaul line. I thought the outhaul was used for adjusting the curve of the foot, but with the ties I don't see what its there for really. Is the idea that you loosen off the ties then release the outhaul a bit to add a bit of shape? Bit of a faff if so. My bermudan OCSG (Goacher) sail just had outhaul and no ties - so I'm assuming its a spritsail thing. Given that I'm not often out there in the really blowy stuff I'll probably just set it with a fair bit of curve and leave it be.

Quote Originally Posted by fredster View Post
    Is the idea that you loosen off the ties then release the outhaul a bit to add a bit of shape? Bit of a faff if so. My bermudan OCSG (Goacher) sail just had outhaul and no ties - so I'm assuming its a spritsail thing.
    No, it's an Optimist thing. But there's no real reason why you can't sail it loose-footed if you are sheeting it from the boom end. Most Opti sails have a fair bit of foot round though so you may not need to if you slack the outhaul. It will though need, as suggested, a tie-down at the clew.

The trick to getting an Opti sail to set properly is to make sure it is well secured at the throat, then tighten the snotter line (the one that holds the sprit up) until you get creases in the sail along the sprit. tightening the sheet will then take those out.

Simon

That looks very promising.

There's a whole heap of good info on the net on tuning optimist sails - often in .PDF format, try googling optimist sail controls.
    This post may vanish at any moment.

Thanks for the tips Simon, will try them out soon at the Barton Turf meet. I was hoping someone might suggest I try sailing it loose footed, so cheers for that.

You're not wrong about the amount of info available on Optimist sail tuning Doug, an almost overwhelming amount. I'll get studying.

Fredster.

Don't worry about all the tuning guff. Initially all you problems will be traceable to the nut on the tiller, assuming you have a clew down haul fitting, (if you don't then sheeting in will flatten the foot of the sail.) and you can adjust foot tension.

Impcanoe

Another thing to consider with these rigs. When running downwind you want to be careful not to allow the top spar to swing forward of the mast. This could happen if the sail is not tensioned correctly.
    Because you have a fair amount of sail high up, if the spar moves forward of the mast, the wind at the top of the sail will try to push the mast to windward while the wind is also trying to push the mast to leeward at the bottom of the sail. This starts to induce a rocking motion of the mast from side to side, called a death roll, and unless it is quickly dealt with, it often resilts in a capsize!

see elvys post on spinnaker running with threecanoes for what do prevent a death roll.

a bit like the old adage no gentleman goes to windward ... only racers go dead down wind

Impcanoe

Another option is to tension the sail and if running with the wind, pull your boom in a little. Yes you will lose a little speed and are technically sailing by the lee, but a death roll can be overted. Just be careful not to pull the boom in too far if the winds are changable. If the wind gets on the other side of sail, there is a good chance you will incur an involuntary gibe!

Default Optimist update.

Hey, Iím just trying to convert my canoe to a sailing canoe and I was wondering if you finished the optimist sail project as this is the sail that I was thinking of putting on it.

Yep - and she sailed very nicely. I couldn't point as high as the Solway Dory Bermudan rigs when I sailed alongside canoes thus equipped, but wasn't too surprised by that. Its all sold now as I have moved into the cripplingly expensive world of yachts. My whole Oppy rig came in at about £100 I think, so certainly a cheap way to get into canoe sailing. But really, there's no beating the Solway Dory stuff - purpose made for canoes and worth every penny.

Quote Originally Posted by fredster View Post
    ..............I have moved into the cripplingly expensive world of yachts.................
    Isn't it just!! lol!