Thread: Payday Drysuit time

Default Payday Drysuit time

Hi guys,

First off a bit about me so that you have an idea of what i might be looking for.. I work as an outdoor education instructor mostly in Mountaineering, Bushcraft and DofE, as a Level 1 coach and soon to be going for my 3* canoe and kayak paddling I am at the entry level of coaching. Although I have done some sea kayaking, at the moment I'm more fresh water than sea, but I want to get into sea kayaking at some point. I've heard some people have separate sea and freshwater kit, I can imagine sea water often being damaging, any thoughts on this would be great! I'm wanting a dry-suit for my future trips and one that will stand up to plenty of use. I'm a big fan of buy nice or buy twice, I buy the best that I can with the rest of my gear, but not always the most expensive, and do my best to look after it at the same time. I've taken a few swims, and I quite like the idea of dry swimming

I've been using my university and club kit, but now i'm getting to the point where I need my own. Any suggestions would be great, or any other suggestions that you guys may have instead of a dry suit.

Also, at what temperature does it get too warm for a dry suit?

Thanks in advance guys

Also what shoes would you recommend to go with the dry-suit?

Quote Originally Posted by ste carey View Post
    Hi guys,

First off a bit about me so that you have an idea of what i might be looking for.. I work as an outdoor education instructor mostly in Mountaineering, Bushcraft and DofE, as a Level 1 coach and soon to be going for my 3* canoe and kayak paddling I am at the entry level of coaching. Although I have done some sea kayaking, at the moment I'm more fresh water than sea, but I want to get into sea kayaking at some point. I've heard some people have separate sea and freshwater kit, I can imagine sea water often being damaging, any thoughts on this would be great! I'm wanting a dry-suit for my future trips and one that will stand up to plenty of use. I'm a big fan of buy nice or buy twice, I buy the best that I can with the rest of my gear, but not always the most expensive, and do my best to look after it at the same time. I've taken a few swims, and I quite like the idea of dry swimming

I've been using my university and club kit, but now i'm getting to the point where I need my own. Any suggestions would be great, or any other suggestions that you guys may have instead of a dry suit.
    No. There's nothing better than a drysuit when the water is cold. When the water isn't cold you'll probably prefer more relaxed clothing - especially in an open canoe.

Also, at what temperature does it get too warm for a dry suit?

Thanks in advance guys
    The function of s drysuit isn't to keep you warm but to keep you dry. It is underlayers inside the suit that provide warmth. So it won't be 'too hot' for a dry suit unless its too hot to wear a jacket.
    Happy paddling ,
    Rob.

Thanks for that gwing, I've been looking at the Palm Stikine, it looks like the sort of thing I'm after.

I've been browsing some shoes, just not sure which would be best. What shoes do you guys use?

I have these Crewsaver water shoes:
    http://www.crew-safe.co.uk/acatalog/Shoe.html

They're comfortable, but the grip isn't great, and I'd probably buy something different next time. But the main point, for wearing with a drysuit, is to get bigger than my normal size. Because I wear ordinary socks inside my drysuit (to protect the suit feet from toenails) and ordinary socks outside the drysuit (to pad the suit feet from grit that might get into the shoes). Drysuit feet are vulnerable, and worth protecting.

Mary
    Not in Oxford any more...

Typhoons Rock boots are good

Andy
    The river flows, flows to the sea
    Wherever that river flows, that's where I want to be

Crow is offline こんにちは。私はカラスと私はスコットラ ンドの出身で す。

Maybe it's just me, but you do get hot in a drysuit. Depends of course on how much you wear underneath it, but the sealed neck and wrists keep the heat in.

Great for cold days and times when you might take a dip in cold water - a lifesaver then. But OTT in warmer times and shallow waters IMHO.

An essential piece of gear though when you venture out on the cold stuff.

Here comes the future and you can't run from it
    If you've got a blacklist I want to be on it

Crow Trip Log

Quote Originally Posted by andibs View Post
    Typhoons Rock boots are good

Andy
    I recommend these as well. Comfy, flexible, decent sole.
    Happy paddling ,
    Rob.

got a Typhoon Multisport 4 drysuit - really comfy and breathes well too!

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianO View Post
    got a Typhoon Multisport 4 drysuit - really comfy and breathes well too!
    I love mine. I don't run as hot as some but wouldn't say I run cold by a long shot. Had plenty of use already and only 2 months old

I do generally run hot, so was very impressed with the breathability of the Typhoon suit, even when doing a spirited 15 mile trip around Old Harry in a sea kayak - I was sweating on top, but stayed dry and comfortable in the suit, wearing a merino wool undersuit.

I'm not an expert but I do know that sea kayakers usually like the option of a hood.

I've got a cheapo army surplus drysuit off ebay which is a bit numb to be honest but it's thick and was cheap.

Latex boots rather than ankle seals are a must as far as I'm concerned.

I wear a pair of oversize wellies with mine so there's lots of room for socks. The highlander version of hunters with the side buckles cut off.

Have a think about your entry system. Diagonal entry zips can get in the way but back entry systems need someone else to zip you in and out of them properly.

Comfort zip if you're going to be in it all day.
    "I'm not getting in a boat which is DESIGNED to go upside down."

I've spent a while looking now, and the Typhoon MS 4 looks to be the winner in my books! Seems to have better reviews than the Palm Stikine and is over 100 cheaper!!

I think i'll buy it tomorrow (well, technically today now!!) Thanks for all the help guys!!

Ste

Best price for the Typhoon Multisport 4 that I have found is 399, if anyone knows of somewhere cheaper could you let me know?

Cheers

399 seems to be the regular price at the min, though if you are a member of a local BCU canoe club, you may get a 10% discount.

Duplicate
    Last edited by pipster3; 2nd-March-2015 at 09:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ste carey View Post
    Best price for the Typhoon Multisport 4 that I have found is 399, if anyone knows of somewhere cheaper could you let me know?

Cheers
    Some have been doing a free fleece under suit ... See if you can haggle for one MS4 is a awesome suit and hard to beat in its price range and on a par with much more expensive suits ...

If you want a top quality drysuit Kokatat beat the rest by far, I have four drysuits and none of the others come near to the kokatat, its the Meridian model which works for river and sea, although there are other models to choose from this one suits me, they are far more flexible, lighter and dryer(from sweating) than anything I have come across. The cost is a good deal more than most other suits but they are gortex and also guaranteed for life, as you say buy once, footwear depends on what boat I'm paddling.

Wetsuit outlet 399 with fleece under suit. For the MS4 I don't think you'll find it cheaper at the minute

Quote Originally Posted by mark steel View Post
    If you want a top quality drysuit Kokatat beat the rest by far, I have four drysuits and none of the others come near to the kokatat, its the Meridian model which works for river and sea, although there are other models to choose from this one suits me, they are far more flexible, lighter and dryer(from sweating) than anything I have come across. The cost is a good deal more than most other suits but they are gortex and also guaranteed for life, as you say buy once, footwear depends on what boat I'm paddling.
    I have to agree, I have a Palm Aleutian and a Kokatat Expedition in Goretex. The Palm is good but the Kokatat is wonderful. The upfront cost is high, but I certainly don't regret buying it.

2015 Crewsaver Phase 2 Drysuit in Grey/Orange inc UNDERSUIT = 299.00 and I wear a pair of Merrell Chameleon II shoes like these... http://shoes-and-more-discount-store.highwire.com/product/merrell-chameleon-ii-brown-hiking-trail-sandals-mens-shoes-size-13

Regarding the effect of sea water on kit, salt crystals are abrasive and will greatly reduce the life of the kit if it is not rinsed out. Rinsing in freshwater is best but rinsing in sea water is better than nothing as it will actually dissolve accumulated dried on salt deposits.

It arrived today!!! I've only warn it in the living room, but somehow I happen to be happy with it just waiting for my Northern Diver Rock Swim Boots!! Testing it on The Derwent this weekend, I'll let you know how I get on!

You won't regret it. I love mine, it's yet to swim although a trip on the Lune on Sunday may change that

When I discovered modern dry suits it was a revolation, you can go and play almost any time of the year - its like doubling the value of your hobby. Possibly one of the best purchases I have ever made. As Jamie says above - you will not regret it.

I was a drysuit skeptic last year. Wasn't really doing anything with a high chance of falling in. I do still wonder about people that turn up for canal trips wearing them, though.

This winter, doing more whitewater, and swimming a lot, they're a revelation. Snow on the ground, splashes of water freezing in the boat... falling out of the boat and it feeling no worse than having cold water splashed in your face. They're amazing.

I do still wonder about people that turn up for canal trips wearing them, though.
    As someone who's fallen into a canal (completely my fault )and last Sunday watched Jandude get capsized by a gust of wind on a canalised part of the Cam in Cambridge, I think that although they do seem an overkill on a canal, they can save a lot of hassle and wetness.
    They negate the need to carry a spare set of dry clothes. Jan was soaked and was lucky there was a public toilet nearby where he could get changed.
    Imagine the scenario where you're paddling alone on a quiet canal in winter. You stop for a break and misjudge your get out/in and fall into freezing water. With a dry suit, you get out and carry on. If you're soaked to the skin, you have to strip off and change clothes - always assuming you've remembered to take some, and there's always the chance you could become hypothermic.

It's a different story when the weather and water warm up of course, but they work for me even if they are a bit of a faff to get on and off.

Different strokes and all that.............
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

They negate the need to carry a spare set of dry clothes
    I've seen neck seals split during the day (WWS&R course) so I'd still always carry a couple of warm layers for emergency. I take a spare base layer, mid layer fleece and belay jacket on WW days out as a min.

I've probably worn my drysuit on the navigation bits of the Wey but most likely due to horrible weather rather than any major risk of swimming. Great bit of kit.

Just one thing... always store with the zips undone, but DO remember to close BOTH zips when donning!

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianO View Post
    DO remember to close BOTH zips when donning!
    You only fail to do this once

Following my swim last week (I have to say that Paramo does what it says: kept my top half so warm when completely soaked that I almost didn't bother getting changed. But my trousers - unlined old craghoppers - froze my legs solid) I have begun looking at dry suits. Speaking to Old man (wearing dry suit) and Graham (wearing dry trousers - thanks for the rescue, dude!), I am now considering a dry suit.

Ste - what suit did you get in the end: Typhoon MS4? (is that your one, Old Man?) Am looking forward to your review.
    -------
    My wife says my real hobby is collecting hobbies. Canoeing must be one of the prizes of my collection, then!

This is mine Jan http://www.ewetsuits.com/acatalog/to...-kayaking.html

Not the cheapest on the market, but nowhere near the dearest. It does what I want it to do at a decent price (it was about 185 when I got mine). If I was doing WW I'd have probably gone for something better, but this one keeps me dry during the odd swim.
    The only other thing that would have been handy would be a relief zip, but then as far as I can see, those that have one are somewhat more expensive.

There's these as well http://www.ewetsuits.com/acatalog/to...-kayaking.html
    Decent price but I've no idea how they perform.
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

This caught my eye when I was looking

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...393267&alt=web