Thread: Get Stuffed

Question Get Stuffed

Perhaps an inane question to some...is there a knack to getting a sleeping bag into a stuff sack? It was ok packing one or two when camping, but now I have to pack five. Perhaps I should not have so many children
    I know the one about getting a bigger stuff sack

I am sure that I am not the only one that suffers from this camper's nightmare.
    Alec aka Wayne

Don't know if I'm telling you how to suck eggs here, but some people try and fold/roll the sleeping bag up and then struggle to get it in the bag.
    No
    The stuff sac is exactly that - you 'stuff' it in , bit by bit. If it's the sac for the bag it'll fit..
    It's far better for sleeping bags to be stuffed in like this. If you roll/fold the sleeping bag this causes the same areas to be compressed and lose their insulation properties. If you stuff it in randomly then different areas are compressed at different times.
    hope this helps
    neil

Down - stuffed
    Synthetic - rolled

or

sell your .....
    Chris

Default Featherweight comment

Patience has always been the skill I wished for most when stuffing sleeping bags!

I tend to hang the sleeping bag over my should with the foot end in front, then hold the stuffsac with one hand and feed the sleeping bag in with the other, ending each handful with a frustrated "that'll teach you to make me feel useless" shove!

The obvious skill to try and master here would be delegation - one of the sprogs must be old enough to hand over the tedious task to.

Soggy

Quote Originally Posted by GL12 View Post
    I am sure that I am not the only one that suffers from this camper's nightmare.
    Oh no!

This is one of the many thankless tasks to be carried out after a decent camping trip.

In cold weather, I have to stuff 4 sleeping bags and 4 fleece liners.

My method is to feed the bottom of the bag into the sack, and then ram handfulls of the bag in, using a clenched fist, all the while visualising the boss's smug "I told you so" expression.

Neil's advice was spot on.

It feels as thought there MUST be a better method after about the 3rd bag, but regretfully, I don't think there is.

And don't get me started on packing away Thermarests!
    There's a whole new thread about to start there!

Quote Originally Posted by Newbond View Post
    Oh no!

It feels as thought there MUST be a better method after about the 3rd bag, but regretfully, I don't think there is.
    I reckon you be right.
    It is a good plan to unzip the bag fully before stuffing it, that way your zip lasts longer.

You could always use a bigger stuff sack

monkey_pork is offline a wind age, a wolf age - before the world goes headlong Super Moderator

I have to say I put the foot end in first, then just shove, and squeeze, and kinda jump about with it between my legs, squeezing and shoving until is goes in. I do try to make sure it's relatively evenly distributed, or you get a lumpy lopsided bag, which may, or may not be an issue I guess.

Growling lots and getting annoyed with it seems to help too.

Agree with Neil. Also best to stuff foot first and unzipped, (if bag has zip). kneel or sit and stuff towards a leg or into V formed by bended knees. Think happy thoughts while stuffing.

TGB
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

May all your winds be gentle. And for ww - May it rain the night before.

Default Roll with it

I roll it along the floor till its really tight, then while kneeling on it to stop it unraveling, tie two pieces of string round it a couple of inches from the ends. Its then easy to slip the bag over it as you have both hands free.
    Big Al.

Only when the last tree has died
    and the last river been poisoned
    and the last fish been caught
    will we realise we cannot eat money.
    ~Cree Indian Proverb

having had the trauma of trying to get a recalcitrant sleeping bag into a stuff sack that is patently too small for it, I've go down the bigger bag route.... then I came across a tip on the hammocking forum regarding the stuff sacks that JRB uses for their quilt. The sack sounds remarkably like the lightweight exped drysacks, so that's where my sleeping bag goes. Get a good sized exped drybag from somewhere like this:

http://w01-0504.web.dircon.net/acata..._Dry_Bags.html

and once the quilt/sleeping bag is rammed in fold and roll down like you would normally, squeezing all the air out** but instead of clipping the buckles together use a length of webbing and a matching sit of buckles/clips to make a compression strap.

Result - waterproof compression sack

[**make sure you get all that air out otherwise it might go *bang* ]
    Obscured by Clouds

Clipper Prospector 16

http://lostcoast.blogspot.com

For my sleeping bag I have one of the exped bags with a valve on it. So I stuff the bag in, squeeze out as much air as possible. roll down the top and clip it then open the valve and squeeze out even more air, then shut the valve.
    John

Easy answer - buy some larger capacity stuff sacks with compression straps. That way they go in more easily and are kinder to the bags due to being less compressed. If space becomes an issue you an always tighten the straps.
    Last edited by gwing; 13th-June-2007 at 11:59 AM. Reason: spelling
    Happy paddling ,
    Rob.

Romsey, Paddle estuaries within an hour, also club member and coach, and scout canoeing helper

Default Stuff sacks

Make sure you get a stuff sack where compression straps can go over the opening as well as down the sides of the bag. They are available from good camping shops.
    I have some awful sacks where half the sleeping bag escapes when you compress them because you cannot close the top of the bag tightly enough.
    A dry bag would be ideal though.
    Brevan,
    The truth (about Rights of Navigation) is out there
    Romsey, Hampshire
    Twitter: BrevanM
    Follow my blog at http://riveraccessrights.blogspot.com/

monkey_pork is offline a wind age, a wolf age - before the world goes headlong Super Moderator

Don't forget to shake it our loosely into pillow case or similar when you get home so it can 'rest' without compressing the loft.

Then force it all back into it's stuff sack again when it's time to take it back outside for use ...

Got very tired of it a few years ago. Like you - this was a job that always fell to me. Finally laid down the law: "If you sleep it it - you stuff it." Of course my youngest is now 18. About time they stuffed their own bags.

Also got four (relatively cheap) down bags cheap off e-bay - which has helped with stuffing tremendously.
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

Thumbs up I am not alone

Glad I am not the only one that suffers this!

I am going to try all the none expense methods first

Then I may concess to buying 5 waterproof stuff sacks if I cannot find a satisfactory method.

Thanks for the input it is appreciated

Was planning on trying out the various methods whist camping this weekend, but then I gave up on the weather
    Alec aka Wayne

Put them ALL in one large dry bag (e.g. 80Ltr) you can stand on them when in the drybag (after each one is inserted, stand on it (bare feet?)) and the dryseal means you can almost vacumn pack them.

And if you are camping they can be left out (outside) while the car is unpacked to find that fiddly bit needed to get started (putting up tent) in the dark and rain.

It works well. And you can ususally stuff the pajamas and sheet sleeping bags and the one ted that little one must just have... All into the bag. There is always a little more space down the sides.

Philip

Thumbs up Get Stuffed Revisited

Well after a damp a soggy weekend camping in the rain, no canoe as the water may become too unpredictable...

Damp sleeping bags - used philipoakley method (I had a spare large dry bag) to pack up in the rain. Nice and easy and when compressed using a little body weight fits easly into car.

Adopted the method of unzip and stuff dried sleeping bag into stuff sack. It was a lot easier than my old way, it took about a minute, if that, compared to 3 to 5 minutes of frustration.

I wished I knew how to do it before, I could have saved many hour over the many years I have been camping... Just shows that there is always something to learn, even if its the simplest of things.

Many thanks folks for making my camping life less frustrating
    Alec aka Wayne

please don't stand on sleeping bags, you'll knacker the filling prematurely, as does washing whether down or synthetic.

compression sacks also should be avoided if you want to get the greatest life out of your bag.

Zips should also be done up before stuffing as they can snag or the teeth can be damaged if they are folded while separated.
    "All right" said Eeyore "We're going. Only don't blame me"

www.canoepaddler.me.uk

Wink I'm still standing (Not)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Randall View Post
    please don't stand on sleeping bags, you'll knacker the filling prematurely, as does washing whether down or synthetic.

compression sacks also should be avoided if you want to get the greatest life out of your bag.

Zips should also be done up before stuffing as they can snag or the teeth can be damaged if they are folded while separated.
    I would not stand on them, to much money to replace

Interesting debate - to zip or to unzip?
    Alec aka Wayne

Hi folks,
    never had problems stuffing my sleeping bag into the compression bag, in which I bought it. but I always unpack after trips and hang the bag on one of these special hangers they´ll have in outdoor shops. hanger costs me two Euros( and lots of begging)

Regards

Andreas