Thread: Selway Fisher Little Kate

Currently N. Somerset. Oftimes Quebec Province, Canada.

Default Selway Fisher Little Kate

Hi,

This has to be just about the prettiest boat in Paul Fisher's collection - but please do look at the pictures on his site before you go ahead and build one! He clearly shows it being paddled with a double-blade paddle and sitting. Alhough this gives rise to a wet bum, it really is the only way. I had a pleasant time, in reasonable breeze, with a single blade sitting, but double would have been better. Kneeling, eeven very low kneeling, gave me an acute atack of the wobbles - although it has to be acknowledged that I'm not the most experienced paddler - others might have more luck.

I'm thinking of adding a deck and cockpit to make it even more "traditional" - and drier!

But it still draws smiles from onlookers, and I don't think it's because of my antics!

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzle View Post
    This has to be just about the prettiest boat in Paul Fisher's collection [...] He clearly shows it being paddled with a double-blade paddle and sitting
    The Little Kate is modelled on a 19th Century classic by one of the great boat-builders of modern canoeing... and it was (as most such boats were in that era) designed for use with a double paddle!

Finding a good photo of one can be a little challenging. Someone should be able to do better than this.

Here are some Hornbeck takes on the same idea:

...and the ultimate in modern takes:

On request, that boat can be built in double-diamond construction to take a rail-hung seat for kneeling - possibly what's shown here:

This is all part of open canoe heritage - arguably more so than most of the modern tandem boats we see in the UK!

Currently N. Somerset. Oftimes Quebec Province, Canada.