Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: I've got back into airgunning...

Oooh ... I have a hot smoker ...
    FN19 ... possibly ... I've just looked all over my rifle, I know it's S/N and it's fill pressure ... how difficult would it be to also impress the model name/no?
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

Napiers, just looked them up ... http://www.napieruk.com/acatalog/Pow...48.html#SID=16 ... I might sell them on and retire
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

Remember you got to have a firearms licence from monday in scotland just a heads up

Quote Originally Posted by Potty Paddler View Post
    Oooh ... I have a hot smoker ...
    FN19 ... possibly ... I've just looked all over my rifle, I know it's S/N and it's fill pressure ... how difficult would it be to also impress the model name/no?
    Single or multi-shot?

The FN19 is a nice light accurate gun - sweet trigger.

.177 Multi
    This post may vanish at any moment.

Devon ..just up from the bottom and right a bit.

Ah a good old fn19 ... Nice one Doug.

I tried an old falcon when looking for a new rifle but the regulator sounded shot.. It also had a two pellet shuttle system... Not that good at the time.. But Falcons are great guns ...produced by the Air Arms factory!

And Bun... It's just an air rifle license isn't it not a firearms certificate?? That what I've been trying to find out.. It's going to take ages to process all the applications!

I keep looking at Theobens... Gas Ram evolutions and Rapids ... It's kinda like looking at classic canoes..

Quote Originally Posted by DougR View Post
    Single or multi-shot?

The FN19 is a nice light accurate gun - sweet trigger.
    Mine is single shot, no silencer fitted (currently) , agree with a nice light accurate gun with a sweet trigger.
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

All you folks got places to go bunny bashing,ive got thirty odd rifles with nowhere to go play

Quote Originally Posted by gs jon View Post
    All you folks got places to go bunny bashing,ive got thirty odd rifles with nowhere to go play
    ... I get sent to bash bunnies 'cos they eat my wife's carefully nurtured plants & veggies. Falcons do catch bunnies, mine has just caught one from our kitchen window. Now I'll have to clean it.

I've checked and my Falcon seems to be an FN12 .177
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

Measure the length of the air reservoir, in inches.
    This post may vanish at any moment.

Quote Originally Posted by DougR View Post
    Measure the length of the air reservoir, in inches.
    That makes it a FN19 ... probably an earlyish FN19

Last edited by Potty Paddler; 1st-June-2016 at 09:29 PM.
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

Old-ish thread, but I feel I have to join in since airgunning is one of my passions.
    I do a little pest control for one of the local farmers - bunnies only - which are then brought home and eaten.

I have two rifles, both Air-Arms, both .177, and both sub 12ft/lbs. A Mk 3 TX under lever, and a little S200 pcp. Both very accurate.
    Either will produce an instant kill up to 40 yards on a rabbit - provided the pellet is in the kill zone (a spot between the ear and the eye).

If any beginner wishes to take up shooting live prey, I strongly suggest doing what the OP does - join a FT or HFT club.
    After a year or so you should be able to shoot reasonably straight. Then it's just a question of range finding, and knowing your points-of-aim (POI) for different distances.

All good stuff, and like canoes and kayaks, addictive!

Hi David, thanks for bumping this one!

You have similar tastes in rifles as me then. Infact the 200 is so very good I've felt no urge to buy another rifle...just yet

You're spot on with your advice to the newbie.

I'm really enjoying the whole shooting thing.. The hunting and the club, they've become like an extended family...great crowd.
    Last edited by Teign Beaver; 26th-March-2017 at 09:14 AM. Reason: I'd already posted the pic :)

Quote Originally Posted by Teign Beaver View Post
    Hi David, thanks for bumping this one!

You have similar tastes in rifles as me then. Infact the 200 is so very good I've felt no urge to buy another rifle...just yet

You're spot on with your advice to the newbie.

I'm really enjoying the whole shooting thing.. The hunting and the club, they've become like an extended family...great crowd.
    Hi,

Thanks for coming back.
    Yep - too many think they can just buy a rifle and start shooting, but it's not like that at all, and with such low-velocity rounds you have to be able to hit the spot to despatch your quarry.

I enjoyed my time doing FT. We have no scope for that around here, but loads of bunnies. Luckily I completed my apprenticeship!

I absolutely love the s200. It upgrades well too - mine has an 8-shot magazine, alloy barrel band, and brass bolt. And with an MTC scope it's the perfect tool for the job.

Beware all those contemplating this sport! It's addictive. I had a narrow escape after a friendly encounter with like minded people pinging targets one day. I ran for the hills knowing I'd only start up yet another hobby/sport I just don't have the time for.

(Very much tongue in cheek, but very close to the truth as well - all but the "running for the hills" part. It was more like a head hung low sad departure.)

Oh dear... An Air Arms S510 has just appeared on my kitchen floor.. How did that happen??

That's disgusting, you should be ashamed of your postman/courier. But don't worry, send it to me and I'll make sure it's properly disposed of
    -------------------------
    You! Off my planet!

I suppose I better put up with it now it's here ... . But thanks Ounce for your kind offer of help..

Very, very nice. That is all.

Air Arms....very nice. I love my Weihrauch, but the rabbits and pigeons don't.........but my tummy does......

Well the 510 works as it should, fairly good groups when I eventually tightened the top scope screws down.
    The trigger was all first stage thanks to poor adjustment by previous owner

Not gun related but...
    The Hawke Vantage wasn't my cuppa tea. Terrible flare from sunlit targets. The full mildot wasn't helpful assessing this rifle compared to my Map6 rets on my other Hawkes.

Chrono results.... 10fps spread in sweetspot.

I took a few freestanding shots , that was nice I enjoyed that.

On the way home I stopped by my friends for a cuppa.. He had a go at my iffy trigger and set just the way I wanted..quite a bit of first stage and a definite feel into the second.

He dug a couple of S510's and a few 400 series rifles so I could have a look.

Check this stock out...a prototype for the 510 , but they didn't run with it. Bloody shame.

...I've first dibs if it's up for sale.

Do you need a licence for an air rifle in England, Scotland and Wales? We do over here in Norn Iron.
    Big Al.

Only when the last tree has died
    and the last river been poisoned
    and the last fish been caught
    will we realise we cannot eat money.
    ~Cree Indian Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al. View Post
    Do you need a licence for an air rifle in England, Scotland and Wales? We do over here in Norn Iron.
    Only Scotland. No licence needed in England and Wales provided the rifle is putting out less than 12 ft/lbs, or pistols less than 6 ft/lbs.

I'm not sure about that stock. I like it, I think….. .

Quote Originally Posted by davidh View Post
    Only Scotland. No licence needed in England and Wales provided the rifle is putting out less than 12 ft/lbs, or pistols less than 6 ft/lbs.

I'm not sure about that stock. I like it, I think….. .
    My dad has a Webley and Scott mk3 that he'd like to get rid of. Would it fall under the 12ft/lbs limit?
    Big Al.

Only when the last tree has died
    and the last river been poisoned
    and the last fish been caught
    will we realise we cannot eat money.
    ~Cree Indian Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al. View Post
    My dad has a Webley and Scott mk3 that he'd like to get rid of. Would it fall under the 12ft/lbs limit?
    Yes, if it's the under lever version. It will be around 10 ft/lbs. Very nice rifles in their day - well-made and accurate.
    If it's in good nick it's worth a few bob too.

The safest thing is to pop it over a chronograph.. But David's right it's probably safely under 12ftlb.

Anyway S510 musings....

Well I won't be selling the 200 anytime soon. Mounted with the same reticle scope as the 200 I tested the 510. It's Fps were a nice 775 +- 7fps with a nice tight spread throughout the sweet spot. A leading Air Arms technician set the trigger and actually said it had a nice pull. He also liked the report. I shot it throughout the day benched on a bean bag and on rigid bench rests and it just could not match the performance of my regulated 200 despite my 200's inferior trigger action (Which I actially quite like) .

Ok it's early days yet and in standing shots which I adore doing the 510 was better! I was knocking stuff over at 30yards easily but it ain't ready or near good enough for me. Yes it returned 5 p groups at 30yds but my 200 is way more consistant at the longer ranges. The biggest difference I noticed was...wait for it.... ' recoil ' the 200 is absolutely dead to shoot probably in due to its 17 gr hammer action compared with I believe 50 gr 510 ... I noticed that difference considerably so did another hft500 shooter who I gave a go of my 200 , he wondered why he spent so much? Anyway as I said its early days. It's a beautifuly put together rifle, with everything to prove .

I know what you mean, and I haven't been tempted by another rifle since I upgraded my 200. This is still non-regulated, but once the first five or so shots have been fired after a fill it stays sweet for the next 30 - which is more than ample for rabbits. For bolts, barrel-bands and a mag for the 200 Rowan Engineering are your friends .

I like the 200 trigger - but it's no match for my TX CD trigger, which I tuned myself by smoothing out the edges on the sears, and then adjusting (more by fluke than skill - I wouldn't try it again, because if you take too much off the sears the unit becomes unsafe). The tuned TX trigger pulls nicely through first stage, then stops. The pressure needed to take it through second stage is light, but you know exactly where you are with it all the way through the firing cycle - lovely.
    I don't know what they are like now, but when I bought my TX Mk 3 the trigger was a disgrace - heavy, and one-stage. For such a well-made unit you would have thought Air-Arms could have spent a few bob on tuning each trigger pre-sales.

I suspect your 510 will settle itself down after you've put a few tins through it, but you have to face facts - it may never be quite as good as the little 200!
    Last edited by davidh; 16th-April-2017 at 11:26 AM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345