Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I've got back into airgunning...

Quote Originally Posted by bhofmann View Post
    These parts are so well put and ring so true with my opinions and beliefs that I want to print it out and put it up on a wall. Very nicely put Lloyd.
    I have heard arguments on both sides of the population control argument and most of the arguments (both sides) are not based anything other than emotion.
    This part of Lloyd`s statement I cannot agree with as a broad generalisation, but in the context of Coyotes/Wolves may well be true. Most of the deer species in the UK are well beyond the populations they should be and there needs to be better controlled and systematic culling (and I don`t mean Lynx).

Aren't the deer in the UK not basically farmed in a semi wild state on estates and in parks or on someones land? Is there an open season on them where anyone can say pick up a license for say 36.75GBP and hunt them or do you need to be in with the rich guys? Do you ever get them wandering into town or onto the motorways?

I know over here is different but occasionally you get something like this, where a young deer wandered into town and walked into the provincial legislature building (sort of like a county council but with a larger land mass and more power).

Lloyd

Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug...

Quote Originally Posted by Malcs View Post
    I use the flat headed hobby pellets (I have a .22) for that kind of range, they are light, fast, and (at that range) accurate and therefore the pellet converts as much of that energy into the head/vitals of the animal rather than drilling them.
    Works for me and my rifle.
    Thanks Malcs, the H&N Baracuda Hunter Extreme pellet deforms very effectively so I would think it is on a par with the hobby. My question about the Piledriver was based on a recommendation to try them and as my local suppliers don't stock them the next best thing was to ask if anyone else had used them. It appears that no one has so that answers the question, if they were good someone would have. Thanks again all.
    "Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men"
    Grp Cpt Sir Douglas Bader CBE,DSO,DFC,FRAeS.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Aren't the deer in the UK not basically farmed in a semi wild state on estates and in parks or on someones land?
    That is basically the way it works, but the culling is done in a controlled way, it is not open season for anyone to have a go. Close to us at Lyme Park on the outskirts of Manchester is an estate run by the National Trust with a sizable deer population. Inevitably some escape and find their way along the hill ridge towards us about 25 miles away, it is up to the land owner who's land the deer is on to decide what happens to it (subject to the regulations). The effect of this is that venison is often on the menu.

The regulations are quite strict, here is a link to them. http://basc.org.uk/cop/deer-stalking/

A little bit off topic.......back in the late 80's my aunt was out riding in New Jersey. A pack of what she guessed was about 7 coyotes attacked her horse which spooked and threw her. They chased the horse onto a highway where it went through the windscreen of a car seriosly injuring two occupants, the horse got away with minor cuts and lost part of its ear. The problem with the coyotes was apparently caused by a local family who continuously fed the coyotes over a period of several years and then moved out of the area, leaving the coyotes unable to cope with loosing their food supply.
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

A fed bear is a dead bear...goes for most wild animals. Wild animals are not pets no matter what the pet-o-philes think.
    Lloyd

Ounce is offline 28.3495 grams - not a heavy weight! Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by sk8r View Post
    If I understand the double-entendre there correctly, you're probably unaware that I'm not 'one o' the lads'......
    Missed this, apologies. Gender is irrelevant... the past century proved that pretty much conclusively.
    -------------------------
    You! Off my planet!

Quote Originally Posted by cloudman View Post
    That is basically the way it works, but the culling is done in a controlled way, it is not open season for anyone to have a go. Close to us at Lyme Park on the outskirts of Manchester is an estate run by the National Trust with a sizable deer population. Inevitably some escape and find their way along the hill ridge towards us about 25 miles away, it is up to the land owner who's land the deer is on to decide what happens to it (subject to the regulations). The effect of this is that venison is often on the menu.

The regulations are quite strict, here is a link to them. http://basc.org.uk/cop/deer-stalking/
    Roe are native and properly wild for the most part. They're certainly not farmed, at least to the best of my knowledge, in the vast majority of locations. Muntjac and Chinese Water deer are non-native, usually naturalized escapees from Wildlife parks or the offspring of the same - I've not checked the current regulations on them but they always used to be classified in the same manner as other non-native or invasive species, i.e. vermin with no closed season. The larger species in the UK are either farmed, constrained or in the case of Scotland, managed wild populations.

With no natural predation, roe populations do need management which is carefully and conservatively done by The British Deer Society. They're a fabulously well adapted species to slipping under the 'human radar' - it's been said in the past that if you have a quarter of an acre of land, you almost certainly share it with at least one roe without even knowing it.

The following were taken with a very long lens out the back of my Mum's place, overlooking some fields usually reserved for sheep or beets to feed the sheep on:[

This little fella had been pacing the wire for a while, clearly seeking an exit but obviously reluctant to head towards the woodland further up the field.

Occasionally he'd get quite animated and run the length of the wire fence at the end of the field closest to the house... after a while we discovered why.

He wasn't alone and obviously knew he was out-gunned by a bigger buck sporting some impressive headgear and with a couple of does in tow.

Shortly after this he did jump the fence, something I've since learned they're loath to do, preferring to find somewhere to crawl under, wherever they can.

Beautiful, and tasty, creatures, deserving of our respect and management.
    You! Off my planet!

Just North of Portsmouth. "Over the hill".

Mine's an Air Arms TX200 Mk III in .177 with a touch of Rowan Engineering bling and a Hawke Sport HD IR scope. Damn fine springer IMHO, great for HFT as well as the rats, rabbits and pigeons up the farm. I also have a venerable old Webley Hurricane pistol in .22,,, great for cans in the garden when the mood takes me.
    Who's been sleeping in my porridge???

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Aren't the deer in the UK not basically farmed in a semi wild state on estates and in parks or on someones land? Is there an open season on them where anyone can say pick up a license for say 36.75GBP and hunt them or do you need to be in with the rich guys? Do you ever get them wandering into town or onto the motorways?
    No not farmed to any great numbers, the vast majority are walking about wild as you like. There are species specific seasons with no licenses, although we need a license for our firearms from the police after many and varied checks. You can either ask a landowner (usually farmers) for permission to shoot on their land, pay to be accompanied (or not if you can prove you don`t need to be accompanied) by a stalker/sporting agent. **Edit** Or if you know someone who has the rights to a piece of land they may take you.
    I live in a small city in Central Scotland and last night while I was walking the dog beside the river I let a doe and follower buck pass us, this is 400 yds from my house. I help with the cull on an estate too as it straddles a major road and the Red deer are getting too close to the road for comfort as they are breeding at an incredible rate. The estate is also cutting down the woods near the road so they are less likely to cross there. Hit a big stag or hind in a car doing 50-60 and it won`t be good for any of the participants.

Devon ..just up from the bottom and right a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Horsedribble View Post
    Mine's an Air Arms TX200 Mk III in .177 with a touch of Rowan Engineering bling and a Hawke Sport HD IR scope. Damn fine springer IMHO, great for HFT as well as the rats, rabbits and pigeons up the farm. I also have a venerable old Webley Hurricane pistol in .22,,, great for cans in the garden when the mood takes me.
    I didn't have any notification of you post Horse Dribble..

A TX in .177. With a bits of Rowan. Nice very very nice... Picture of it?

That would compliment my .22 77k .. Infact if one comes along at the condition/right price I'd have it !

Also Im after a new scope.. Hawke look good and not over the top prices.. A guy a the gun club designed one of the air rifle models reticle. I'm thinking of 3-9x40 mildot for the hft and hunting..

I used to plink with my bros hurricane ... Looked like a space ray gun.. What fun we had with it as kids...

Ha ha.. Read my last post... I've done exactly that.. I've got a new Hawke 3~9x40 scope.. After a disasterous session the other day I realised my Nikko Sterling reticle was moving around!

I'd shoot a pellet, then give the scope a tap shoot again and zero would shift 3 inches!!

The old scope was foggy too. My old 77k is now shooting even better!

Anyway... Who did things like this a kid?

This lad James has restored my faith in the youth of today.. Hope he's done his Latin homework..

Quote Originally Posted by Teign Beaver View Post
    This lad James has restored my faith in the youth of today.. Hope he's done his Latin homework..
    Pro-tip: Dampen the matches first, they then won't ignite while you're removing the match head and it is significantly easier to remove. Dry the resulting pile of goodness in a ziplock bag and a couple of silica-gel packets, useful reuse of the silica gel pack which frequently gets thrown away.
    You! Off my planet!

Quote Originally Posted by Ounce View Post
    Pro-tip: Dampen the matches first, they then won't ignite while you're removing the match head and it is significantly easier to remove. Dry the resulting pile of goodness in a ziplock bag and a couple of silica-gel packets, useful reuse of the silica gel pack which frequently gets thrown away.
    Brilliant Ounce!.. We used to be impatient kids and wanted the pink dust of pleasure sooner rather than later!

I can't help myself..I'm going to knock some of these up for the club! I will used the 'wet method' !! You can buy exploding targets.. 10 quid a pack of ten I think? Stuff that and its more fun to diy!

There is an easier way... a MUCH easier way.

Leave the wood in the match head... sounds overly simple perhaps, but it still works. Wrap the match heads tightly in foil ensuring complete coverage (I'll post a pic in a bit) 3 match heads to a target should make an easily audible crack over about 30 yards... more is just showy

It can take a couple of days for the previous method to dry sufficiently... leave the wood in an use dry matches and good foil and it's relatively instant. There are some other household chemicals you can use to make a slightly bigger pop and use a match head as a source of impact ignition. SOTP probably isn't the place for a more detailed discussion about them. Suffice to say, Googling for it might get you added to lists you might not wish to be on.
    You! Off my planet!

4 match heads... hammer in lieu of airgun pellet as there are lots of people gardening at the moment since the sun is out. Principle is exactly the same:

You! Off my planet!

SotP not the place to discuss homemade pyrotechnics? ... Yeah there's no big kids on this site ...

I've just seen your vid.. Great!

We we used to captivate red match heads between two bolts say half inch, opposing and screwed into one nut... Put a rag flight on one end and throw!
    Last edited by Teign Beaver; 22nd-March-2015 at 12:40 PM.

Discussion is one thing... detailed discussion, e.g. recipes, potential ingredients etc. probably not such a good idea
    You! Off my planet!

Ha ha.. Read my last post... I've done exactly that.. I've got a new Hawke 3~9x40 scope.. After a disasterous session the other day I realised my Nikko Sterling reticle was moving around!

I'd shoot a pellet, then give the scope a tap shoot again and zero would shift 3 inches!!
    Is your new scope rated for a springer, as most scopes can't cope with the constant recoil which is probably why your Nikko failed?

The Nikko was ancient and foggy anyway .. This Hawke was designed with the help of airgun guru Nick Jenkinson
    it is springer airgun safe...
    Last edited by Teign Beaver; 22nd-March-2015 at 06:34 PM.

Matchheads between two tuppences - makes for a nice cheap one inch diameter reactive target.....

Sort your backstop first.
    This post may vanish at any moment.

Brings back memories of happy Friday nights scraping matches; to be followed by happier Saturdays! :-)

The guy in the corner shop could never understand why we used to buy such huge numbers of Swan Vestas.

Our range has a good variety of knock down targets , reduced kill bells, frying pans, spinners etc etc..

I took this guy down the other day..

Much to the delight of the members he makes a satisfying clunk when hit it the chest..especially with a .22. His head also wobbles when hit.. And on the first outing he crapped snails!

He ain't looking so smug after the last weekend shenanigans... We gave him a firing squad volley!

Last edited by Teign Beaver; 25th-March-2015 at 09:49 PM.

Mmmm... There's a nice looking 2nd hand air arms s200 .177 in Stoke on Trent ... Mmmm I know someone on here who lives there!

It's not mine Ian ... my S200 is a .22
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

Seeig this thread has gone slightly astray at times, as is the custom on SOTP I'll continue the tradition.

When I was in the RN and stationed in Gibraltar in the 70's I worked with a WREN, who was an absolute cracker. And an absolutely cracking shot with a .22 rimfire. Well I think it was a rimfire. 1970 is a loooooong time ago.

We used to use targets with a bullseye as civilians did and scored 10 if you hit the central circle - the bull. Our military targets also had a simple dot in the middle of the bull, which if you knocked the dot out on all 10 shots you earned an extra point. So the perfect score was 101. She could score this more times than anyone I knew. I can't remember the distances we shot at, but all was done from the prone position using only the sling for steadiness.

About a decade or so later I saw a profile of her in a national newspaper and she'd become a British Small arms rifle champion of some kind, but obviously well enough known and of good enough merit to have a full article about her in the paper. Although her name was no longer Sarah Robinson (she'd married) I easily recognised her from the pictures.

When I get my ancient Airsporter .22 out and have a few shots I can only wish and dream I was as a good as Sarah.
    http://www.davidwperry.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Potty Paddler View Post
    It's not mine Ian ... my S200 is a .22
    Hi Mike
    ...yes I did realise it's not yours... But it made me smile seeing the ad.. It's a cracking little hunting peice the 200. A really experienced hunter I know uses the .177 to deadly effect.. A joy to carry he says..

Im seriously considering ringing this guy in S-o-T ...330 ono with 3~9x50 scope and air arms moderator plus still under warranty ...

David I'll google that lady crack shot later... After I've been up the farm pest controlling! And the Airsporter was the gun we dreamt about in my youth...

David I'll google that lady crack shot later... After I've been up the farm pest controlling! And the Airsporter was the gun we dreamt about in my youth...
    Thanks I'll look forward to being updated.
    http://www.davidwperry.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by David Perry View Post
    Thanks I'll look forward to being updated.
    I couldn't find references for that Sarah Robinson... Being her maiden name etc..

Regards the pest controlling.. It's going very well. It's an obsolete joy being out in a stunning part of the Devon countryside. I tried out my new ghillie suit on Monday ... I became at one with the bushes. I was observing two rabbits through the scope.
    One suddenly looked alerted... He bolted...his freind quickly followed.. I turned my head oh so slowly expecting to see a fox up the field or a horse rider in the lane above, it was a stunning cock pheasant was 6 yards behind me! And we know the noise they make when startled... Did I jump!

Well I've been shooting so much I've cooked my mainspring! I tested the gun Saturday and she's only putting out 9ftlb ..ironically a joy to shoot.. Quiet and accurate but not enough for some applications..

Ordering a lovely Titan spring today. Here's the 77 having a well deserved rest in a cat basket...shhhh

Have you considered having the Theoben gas ram system fitted? Consistent power, no spring "boing," better accuracy and only slightly more than the cost to replace the spring. These people supply and fit. http://www.daileisure.co.uk/ fyi

Quote Originally Posted by 22SAS View Post
    Have you considered having the Theoben gas ram system fitted? Consistent power, no spring "boing," better accuracy and only slightly more than the cost to replace the spring. These people supply and fit. http://www.daileisure.co.uk/ fyi
    Just remember gun parts can not be posted to you, they have to be collected from a registered gun dealer. It may be difficult to arrange!

Just remember gun parts can not be posted to you, they have to be collected from a registered gun dealer. It may be difficult to arrange!
    Airgun parts can be posted no problem.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by MagiKelly View Post
    Airgun parts can be posted no problem.
    I tried to order a silencer for a AA S400 and they said it had to be collected, maybe only some parts are restricted?

Hi guys...some parts are restricted..springs are ok... Some suppliers may er on the side of caution!

Going back to 22SAS's suggestion.. I've not come across a gas rammed 77.. Interesting..I know the 80 was the classic gun to ram.. Theoben aren't going anymore?? Correct me if wrong.. Mmm you got me thinking..

just a quick google...don't think the 77 can be rammed.
    Last edited by Teign Beaver; 13th-April-2015 at 10:36 AM.

Hi guys...some parts are restricted..springs are ok... Some suppliers may er on the side of caution!

Going back to 22SAS's suggestion.. I've not come across a gas rammed 77.. Interesting..I know the 80 was the classic gun to ram.. Theoben aren't going anymore?? Correct me if wrong.. Mmm you got me thinking..

just a quick google...don't think the 77 can be rammed.
    Hi you would probably be better off here.

http://www.air-rifle-tuning.com/v-mach/Home.html Formerly Venom, say no more.

Quote Originally Posted by 22SAS View Post
    Hi you would probably be better off here.

http://www.air-rifle-tuning.com/v-mach/Home.html Formerly Venom, say no more.
    Yes agree that's the boys for the best..the f1 springs are produced by a company involved with formula 1. With roots embedded in Venom. My old HW 77 belonged to FT world champ Nick Jenkinson think Venom worked on it...as well as Nick.. He filled the cocking arm with lead! Then nicely wrapped it in electrical tape! I challenged him about this not long ago... "Yeah it probably did" was the reply.. Oh I wish I had that gun now..

Well my Titan spring is on its way! Chambers were as pleasant as ever to talk to and are sending it along with some other bits and bobs... Just mooching around my in bits 77 I noticed how crude the machining and finish is in places... But it's German I supose... "Why deburr that bit..that does not improve the devices operational functions" ....

I've been popping in and out of this thread for many weeks now...

...and still can't help but read the title as "I've got back into arguing" . Weirdly, its then a very civilized thread!
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    ..... Weirdly, its then a very civilized thread!
    No it's not!

Last edited by Teign Beaver; 13th-April-2015 at 08:10 PM.

No it's not!

What a rubbish sketch, thats the worst sketch on youtube!!!!!!!

Lloyd

I am sure most of you watch the Youtube magazine videos but for those not yet converted here's a sample.

Airheads by FieldSports Channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rJO...zSohO0&index=1

Also the UK Catapult Championships 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77C8...b9pZk3&index=2

First time I've seen them... What on Earth is he wearing that pinstripe for? He looks like he's escaped from somewhere!
    You! Off my planet!

Yes.. That field Sports lot are a bit strange. I'm not sure they do airgunning any favours.. And how about them catapulters... They're abit special ain't they .. Saying that I grew up with catapults the classic Milbro being the weapon of choice... We used to shoot pebbles from the local beach..once we had a shoot out..firing unripe gooseberrys at eachother.

I quite liked the people and the content... the presentation style though, a sort of US style "Wowee guys" with a British accent and a worse suit, didn't work.
    You! Off my planet!

Quote Originally Posted by Ounce View Post
    I quite liked the people and the content... the presentation style though, a sort of US style "Wowee guys" with a British accent and a worse suit, didn't work.
    On the main Fieldsports Channel he is doing a mick-take on a formal BBC news presenter but outside, I agree it doesn't work but it's free to watch and the info he gives is OK so should we complain?

Coming back to my airgunning revival... I taking delivery of a 'new' gun this week ... It's a BSA Hornet pcp in .22.. It was an offer to good to miss... I've shot the gun on the range and it is painfully accurate. I was looking for a .177 ideally but I've had no problems shooting the 77 in .22 ...if you know your scope and ranges .22 is fine..

It's the silence and accuracy of the thing that sold it to me...

The 77 is up and running lovely.. With a slight twang from the new Titan spring...which didn't need cutting..

At the moment I am on a weeks annual leave and suffering from a flu type thing... I had some shooting, canoeing and fishing planned ...I won't be doing any of that for a bit... Not amused.
    Last edited by Teign Beaver; 21st-April-2015 at 04:13 PM.

The Riley Air Cane...now there's a beast!

I tried to order a silencer for a AA S400 and they said it had to be collected, maybe only some parts are restricted?
    You will probably find the same "Sound Moderator" can be used for a CF/RF rifle and therefore the supplier was erring on the side of caution.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcs View Post
    You will probably find the same "Sound Moderator" can be used for a CF/RF rifle and therefore the supplier was erring on the side of caution.
    Yes I have since made enquiries about this and that is the exact reason for the restriction, for an FAC weapon you need a separate licence for a moderator and because they can be interchangeable they have put the restriction on them all. Total waste of time though as I can give or sell it to anyone after I have purchased it, so if someone is trying to get round the law it will not work.

Default A new addition to the Beaver household .....

I've been trying this gun out for the last couple of weeks... It a BSA Hornet in ...yep another .22!

Its blisteringly accurate, consistant...and makes less noise than a ???....very quiet thing being very quiet...

A few of the guys at the club remarked on its accuracy... Its a hand forged barrel apparently.... This gun has a bit of a fan club in the airgun world..

I believe it was targeted at the U.S. market ..it can be 'tweaked' to over double the legal power limit.. 28ftlb! *

*I have no intention of doing this M'Lud ...

And yes it's a pcp... It take its power from a reservoir of air... Like a diver...a very quiet diver.

....did I say it was quiet?

Well I never,joined this group cos I was interested in going canoeing, and low and behold it seems it's a group about my first love, Shooting ,result

Quote Originally Posted by gs jon View Post
    Well I never,joined this group cos I was interested in going canoeing, and low and behold it seems it's a group about my first love, Shooting ,result
    Hi Jon... And welcome to 'Song of the Rifle'... Yes we discuss all sorts around here ... It's all outdoorsy stuff mainly... It's a fantastic forum... Please feel free to post an intoxication thread...*

Ian....

*....ha ha I love my iPad spell checker.

Thanks,if I listed all my toys my fingers would bleed.got some questions about canoeing sometime.is it going to worth coming down to the show.
    Jon

...ha ha... I have a rather large toy box too.. . Which show is that... A.S Watersports ?

Yep that's the one.

Yes it could be worth it... A few off here go... You can try canoes out etc... There usually is a thread about it... I may go depending on my shifts...

Yes it could be worth it... A few off here go... You can try canoes out etc... There usually is a thread about it... I may go depending on my shifts...
    There is indeed a thread about it: http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...anoe-Show-2015

I popped a couple of rabbits I'd promised around to a friend at the weekend .. I noticed an old rifle in his porch amongst the jackets..
    My friend said its a very early BSA .177 air rifle! He keeps it for scaring the woodies away... He was given it 50 odd years ago by 'old man Lee' a farmer near where I shoot ! He got it from the original owner ..who used to shoot wasps with it! It's a very local gun over 100 years old ..and in my opinion priceless .

You can see the first owners name burnt into the stock.

It turns out it may be a Lincoln Jeffries circa 1906.. Essentially the same gun as the BSA model 'D' that I thought it was.

Back to modern times... My latest acquisition ... A Hatsan pump, for filling my air reservoir on my rifle.
    Back in my early field target pcp days I suggested someone ought to design a hand pump, they said it couldn't be done... Times have moved on!

I love being independent of dive shops for refilling air tanks.. It pumps to 200 bar!

Try that in your Pakcraft!

Last edited by Teign Beaver; 14th-May-2015 at 08:34 AM.

He got it from the original owner ..who used to shoot wasps with it!
    Love the old gun. The shooting of wasps takes me back to my youth, when I was about 10 I used to spread jam on a stone wall to attract the wasps for target practice!!! My mum even bought the pellets, as she thought it would keep them out of the house, happy days.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast