Thread: The First English Coast to Coast Canoe Trail, 150 miles

Default The First English Coast to Coast Canoe Trail, 150 miles

I have just spotted this this new venture on Teletext. Launched by the Canal & River Trust as a result of a generous donation of 1.3M by the media tycoon Richard Desmond. It is due to be completed by 2020 and is 150 miles long, It takes in the Leeds Liverpool canal and the Aire and Calder Navigation, to be known as the Desmond Family Canoe Trail.

Having an influential man like this on our side is a real bonus.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/news-...-canoe-project

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-31097713
    Last edited by Chainsaw; 5th-February-2015 at 09:02 AM.
    "Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men"
    Grp Cpt Sir Douglas Bader CBE,DSO,DFC,FRAeS.

Can't hurt. Good on the bloke.
    MarkL
    www.canoemassifcentral.com
    Canoe outfitting packages in the Massif Central

Monday evening I was tipped off that the Canal & River Trust​ might want some help with a campaign-launch later this week. Detail emerged the following morning (yesterday): could I provide a backdrop of young people canoeing... for this afternoon!

Well... with my Pennine CRC​ hat on I could access boats and a trailer... and my Kirklees College contacts were happy to procure some young volunteers and shiny new kit... and Sally and Dougie were up for it, so hey - why wouldn't we give it a go?

Friends pointed me in the right direction, The National Waterways Museum in Goole hosted us... and whilst a lot of faffing around was needed for what ended up being very brief footage, we duly delivered what was needed - and even pup got to feature on TV!

I can't embed the video... but if you click on this image you should be taken to the programme (at least for now). The results of our efforts appear from ~23 minutes and 30 seconds.... but don't blink or you'll miss the entire slot!

Ps. The project being announced throws a rather different light on the survey work I've been doing on the Leeds to Liverpool Canal

I did Liverpool to Boston in 1995 with a dozen students. The route we did was Leeds and Liverpool Canal, Aire and Calder but then headed for the Trent at Keadby. Onto the Fossdyke and Witham reaching Boston in 12 days.

I also did Wigan to Castleford in 2009 but returned to Manchester via the Rochdale canal. I don't recommend the Rochdale because of too many locks. One day of 19 miles involved 7 miles portage!!!!

The proposed route is worth doing but camping en route is difficult.

I wrote a blog called a Pennine Cruise 2009.

Doug
    When there's trouble on shore, there's peace on the wave,
    Afloat in the White Canoe.
    Alan Sullivan

Excellent work Greg and Gina!

In the original post, is there a missing "m" in "a generous donation of 1.3 by the media tycoon Richard Desmond" or is it sarcasm?

Quote Originally Posted by bhofmann View Post
    Excellent work Greg and Gina!

In the original post, is there a missing "m" in "a generous donation of 1.3 by the media tycoon Richard Desmond" or is it sarcasm?
    Well spotted it is definitely not sarcasm, it is my mistake, I will ask the mods to edit it. The amount is 1.3m.
    "Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men"
    Grp Cpt Sir Douglas Bader CBE,DSO,DFC,FRAeS.

I-player link expires at 7:00PM tonight (Thurs 5th Feb) ... so watch soon if you wish to.
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

Hi - my friend and I are visiting the UK 2016 and are hiking through some of your lovely countryside while we are there, but we have seen this canoe trip through facebook....I understand that it isn't going to be complete til 2020 but are there sections that are open, are there companies offering tours/canoe hire/information on the route and would you recommend or have some suggestions please?

Quote Originally Posted by CathKnight View Post
    my friend and I are visiting the UK 2016 [...] are there sections that are open, are there companies offering tours/canoe hire/information on the route
    The route has always been open to canoeists and kayakers who are happy finding their own spots for informal "wild camping" - and suitable spots can be found, especially if you're willing to cover a fair mileage per day. I am writing up a guide and can provide information.

I'd recommend Matt Thompson (Wilderness-Canoe) for anyone wanting guiding / canoe hire. He commonly operates from a base in Knoydart.... but also has a Lancashire base (close to the Trans Pennine Trail). See wilderness-canoe.co.uk

Hi Cath,

I've sent a private message to you.

With more details about the canal.

Doug
    Alan Sullivan

I too can recommend Matt of Wilderness Canoe.
    Mick

thanks for your advice Greg - will follow up your suggestions

Hi Doug

For some reason I cant reply to your private message. I've tried several times....and its not sending ....not sure what im doing wrong??? Anyway - just wanted to know if you would consider taking myself on a canoeing trip?

Quote Originally Posted by CathKnight View Post
    Hi Doug

For some reason I cant reply to your private message. I've tried several times....and its not sending ....not sure what im doing wrong??? Anyway - just wanted to know if you would consider taking myself on a canoeing trip?
    Try again, Cath. I think you need to have made 3 posts before you can pm.
    Covering as many malmiles as possible before being distracted by the pub!

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Hi Cath, I've sent you a PM.

Doug
    Alan Sullivan

Hi Doug - this post will be my third then so excuse the meaninglessness of it...hope you got my email & thanks for being so supportive.