Thread: Handmade Firesteel Set

Default Handmade Firesteel Set

After getting back into tinkering with leather, metal, antler and assorted other materials, my bench is getting a little cluttered.

Anyway, among other stuff, I've got this "one off" set to offer:

It comprises; custom firesteel ( the blank is a Ray Mears "Firestick") with polished red deer antler handle and leather thong and double leather retainer. A matching scraper, again with red deer antler handle and leather thong etc. and the carrier itself.

The carrier is made from a combination of oak tanned cow hide, for the main body and firestick sleeve, with a "second skin" of European water buffalo hide, (similar to calf skin but more supple) Everything is hand done, no drilling for stitch holes (drilling leather weakens the seams), they're all individually done and then the whole thing is hand, double saddle stitched, with 70lb bs, artificial sinew with treble stitching on the ends of the seams and the belt loop.
    It's been hand dyed with contrasting edges and front panel and then finished with 3 applications of carnauba wax.

The thongs allow you to fully secure the stick and scraper by looping the thong around the stick sleeve, then tightening the retainers but both the stick and scraper are quite a snug fit and fairly secure in any case.

Basically, its pretty solidly made.

An idea of how everything works can be gleaned from this video or else take a look at my other videos and there's a couple more on firelighting, that will hopefully answer any quaetions, if not just ask

All my scrapers are made from recycled, very high quality tool steel, machine blades, hence the etched part numbers. They are designed to be both practical and safe in use, with all the edges ground at about 90*. This gives an optimum edge for scraping sparks, producing tinder and most importantly; safety in use.

The other side is clear and in spite of how it looks in this photo, quite highly polished

The firestick itself has had apx 6 strokes from it for testing purposes but has never been "used" as it were and given these things apparently have around 12,000 strikes in them, the stick should still have at least 11,990! Seriously though, the few test strokes will make no practical difference to the life of the stick.

I'd normally ask around 60 (all in) for a custom set like this but because the firestick has been "tested" I'm knocking a bit off the price and asking 55, which includes paypal fees and 1st class recorded delivery.

Any questions please ask

cheers

Steve

Now paddling Either a Gumotex Palava 400 Or a Gumotex Solar Pro 410c and LOVING IT!

Price reduction: 50 all in.

Now paddling Either a Gumotex Palava 400 Or a Gumotex Solar Pro 410c and LOVING IT!

Gone elsewhere

cheers