Thread: sailing a freedom

Default sailing a freedom

Hi Guys
    A wee question, is it possible to sail a Mad River Freedom and if so could you point me in the right direction for out fitting the boat.
    cheers Greytowel

I presume your referring to the Freedom Solo? Yes it is perfectly possible - I was sceptical myself until I tried it. At only 29" wide I thought it would be far too tippy.

Anyway I bought a sailing kit from Endless River which utilised my exisiting poles used for normal poling.

I didn't use the supplied thwart, but bolted onto an existing thwart a block of wood with a hole in it. I'll take piccy tomorrow if I get chance.

It requires constant concentration to adjust your body to the force of the wind, more so I imagine than with a more stable craft, but fun non the less.

I havn't got a leeboard, just control with paddle down the side of the boat, again takes some experimentation to get the position right. I'm not sure without a leeboard I could sail upwind, doesn't seem likely.

Roly.

I thought for a moment you meant on of these.

Been out cutting balsam fir poles to put together a sailing rig for the Bell CJ solo. Going to build the rig from scratch using the sailing rig from

http://www.canoegear.com/catalog/pro...&cat=49&page=1

as an example (less the rudder set up - which is useless) .

Hoping it will work as well as the factory rig.
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

Default Open canoe sailing group can help

Have a look at the ocsg.org.uk web site for help and links.

Hope that helps.
    Regards
    Andy

Thanks Guys
    Greytowel

Default Ocsg

Quote Originally Posted by kitetraveller View Post
    Have a look at the ocsg.org.uk web site for help and links.

Hope that helps.
    Regards
    Andy
    Thanks for recommending us Andy...

Although perhaps not a common choice as a sailing canoe, a canoe like a Mad River Freedom Solo / Guide could certainly work. Although the canoe's narrow beam makes it relatively unstable, it also reduces the boats wetted surface area, which will make it relatively easy to propel through the water. Consequently you can get away with a smaller sail that will produce less overturning force.

To some extent the potential to use a smaller sail will result in theboat's relative lack of stability going unnoticed when sailing.

If I was setting the boat up for regular sailing use I would go for something like a Solway Dory 30' Lugsail at the front and a 14' lugsail at the back. That would provide loads of upwind performance on a small boat, and keep the rig at the ends of the boat so as not to interfere with paddling activities. The set up I'm describing would turn the boat into quite a capable sailing boat, so you would need a lee board, and rudder too. From a safety point of view, side and end air bags would be essential, and mini outriggers would be a useful addition if heading onto exposed open lakes or the sea.

If your sailing ambitions are more modest, I would suggest that a mast thwart 32" from the bow, and a mast foot attached to the bottom of the boat would be a good place to start. This would provide a strong but unobtrusive way of attaching a down wind sail, and could also form the basis of a more sophisticated rig if you get hooked and want to take sailing further in the future.