Thread: Severn Catchment

Default Severn Catchment

Anyone free to go along and see what they are up to.......
    This is the first time I have seen this advertised

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&fref=nf

Severn Rivers Trust

River Severn Opportunities: Have your Say?
    In March this year we held an open meeting to discuss the Severn Uplands catchment, its issues and its opportunities.
    After this successful first meeting of the Catchment Based Approach six main priorities were highlighted by people to indicate what they feel is important
    The six main priorities as indicated as this meeting are:
    • Flooding (Housing and Agricultural Land)
    • Water Quality
    • Drought
    • Recreation
    • Biodiversity (including fish stocks)
    • Carbon sequestration.
    From these priorities we have created draft maps to show what areas are important for each priority on an evidence based review.
    These maps show the areas where projects could be undertaken that will have the most benefit on these targets.
    This will then provide a plan of action for future projects and a show of support from local people for work to be undertaken. This will create strong evidence for funding of projects.

The Severn Rivers Trust is holding a Drop in Clinic where it will be possible to view the maps and provide us with comments and suggestions using local knowledge.
    The Clinic will run from 10am to 7pm at Welshpool Livestock Market on Thursday 13th November 2014. There will be talks at 10am, 1pm and 6pm to explain how the maps were created and the next step. If you can’t make one of the talks please pop in when you can to have your say on future projects in the Upper Severn Catchment.

https://www.facebook.com/severnrivers.trust?fref=photohttp://severnriverstrust.com/

Last edited by KeithD; 4th-November-2014 at 07:59 PM.

Interesting, unfortunatly I can't get there otherwise I would. Presumably both Wales and England BCU will be contributing?
    Is it possible to view the maps remotely through a website and contribute remotely through their website or Facebook?
    Mike

and I'll be washin' me 'air that night...

Let's be honest, the map is so simplistic as to be useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Cooper View Post
    Let's be honest, the map is so simplistic as to be useless.
    Too true but it'd be interesting to know how they define a particular area as being important for a particular priority (recreation) but not another area. Equally what element of recreation constitutes access, if any, and lastly what projects would they have in mind or could be included in recreation to promote access.
    Mike

Looks like a similar event for the middle Severn. Its on at the Wyre Forest District council HQ (Kidderminster) on the morning of 26th Jan. Its on behalf of the Severn Rivers Trust though you need to pre book, I emailed the Severn River Trust and have booked myself in to attend.

Info below
    The workshop will be looking atmaps of the Worcestershire Middle Severn Catchment, called ecosystem servicesmaps. It is based around the Catchment Based Approach set out by Defra and weare acting as the hosts in conjunction with the Worcestershire Wildlife Trustto assess how we could improve the catchment. The maps look at opportunitiesand map issues associated with water quality, flooding, biodiversity andrecreation to name a few. There are many layers of data and maps, but what wewant to do most importantly is to gain peoples perspectives, views and opinionson where they feel the problems are and how we could go about tackling theissues for improvements in the catchment. It is quite varied. Attendees alreadyinclude the Environment agency, local angling groups and residents with ininterest in rivers.

We will have some open presentations explaining the work we do and thebackground to the maps. The rest of the workshop is to gain your views andopinions on the catchment and looking at some example maps.