Thread: The Paddle Paddle - First try of the Edenwood

Default The Paddle Paddle - First try of the Edenwood

Hi all

I recently posted a couple of shots of what turned out to be the first of my rewards for not dying by now .... a beautiful Edenwood paddle made by the top man that is Tim. Background details are here.

In short, my wife Louise has come up with a plan for my 50th birthday in December which involves a sort of advent calender in the 50 days up to my actual birthday with a gift each day, the first of which was a new paddle made by Tim at Edenwood. I can't go on much further without thanking him for the craftsmanship and also for the undoubted amount of effort he has put in to help Louise get this sorted. I've a feeling it was a bit of a marathon as Louise isn't an enthusiastic paddler ... though she does operate a damned good shuttle service for those who do.

Well, a nice new paddle on a table in the back yard is one thing but I needed to actually get it wet and introduce ourselves a bit. Luckily (not really, I'd been ordered to be at home on Monday) I found myself "working from home" for a few days and was thus very near to a boat and a river. She's a good girl, my missus.

Having blocked out an afternoon on the schedule thingy, made a damned good excuse and gathered a minimal kit supply together, I decided on a quick run down the local river Lot from Larnagol to Latoulzanie. Not a marathon paddle but a really pretty stretch which would suit the paddle and also get me to a stop before darkness.

Larnagol is a small hamlet village right on the river and marks the highest point of navigation for the hire boats which operate on the river during the summer months. At the end of the 19th century it had around 800 inhabitants and was famous for making buttons (believe it or not). Nowadays there are about 120 people and a camp site .... no buttons any more. This deep background is all getting a bit "Mal Grey" so I'll stop with the local knowledge and get on with the first try out of Tim's creation ...

I put in at the slip on the right of this photo (out of shot) and took a fair number of the photos facing back up stream to avoid the low winter sun.

Paddle to the fore ...

The village of Calvignac is perched up on hill ...

The water was still, clear and warm. I love this time of year here ...

After a bit of a play around to begin to get the feel of the boat again (I've been too long away), I turned to start the run ...

I figured the water depth was perfect for a try out with my new paddle and so it proved. Throughout the run down, I tried all the strokes I know and probably a few that I don't really know and generally tried to get the feel of my new stick. I'll summarise the results later but for now will just show the photos.

The weather is still warm here at around 25 degrees and the only sound around comes from the farmers getting the late harvest in from the fields. Mostly silent and very nice to be home.

One careful owner, low kilometerage, yours for a snip ....

The river heads down to a weir before the village of Latoulzanie on the right bank and Cenevieres on the left with its Chateau. Approaching the first weir ...

There are locks all the way up to here for the hire boats and it is easy to paddle further down than I would today arriving at Tour-de-Faure opposite St Cirq Lapopie (a well known tiny village perched up on a cliff). Larnagol to St Cirq has 2 glissieres and a purpose built portage path of about 15 meters so is very doable. Today, I'd just see the first of the glissieres.

The sight of the lock channel left and the sound of the weir reminded me that I was approaching the first of these ....

The canoe pass sign ... but I was trying to remember whether the pass itself was central or to the right. I've really been away too long. A gentle creep around the corner got me to the right place ....

A gentle descent followed. This is one of the easiest of the glissieres I know around here. Some of them are a lot more "fairground ride" than this fellow ....

The rock weir ....

and a place to picnic or bivi just after it ....

The Chateau of Cenevieres looms above me to the left as I continue ....

The chateau is actually privately owned with some concerts and visitor access for tourism in the summer months. I think they also hire for events including weddings etc. In fact, it dates way back to 767 and started off being owned by the dukes of Aquitaine followed by the father of Charlemagne.

A more modest and older local residence was also on view ....

... and Latoulzanie was visible in the distance ...

Not a bad thing to have at the bottom of the garden ....

A quick play around the bridges, doing some "exercises" with the paddle around the bridge arches

and finally down to the take out ...

I had a wander and waited for Louise to turn up for the lift home.

And so the the paddle .... we are already good friends.

It is made from a stunning bit of cherry and the first thing I found was how stiff it felt in the water. I actually liked it as I felt I had a firm connection to the water with it. I found myself doing Indian style things with ease and the balance felt perfect for me. It will become my default choice for covering water with ease. It is just perfect to get a "minimum fuss" rhythm going and cover distance.

I was surprised by the amount of delicate control it offered me and was instantly comfortable with using it. All in all, it couldn't really get much better than that.

Thanks obviously to the wife but also to Tim of Edenwood who I cannot recommend highly enough

Hope you enjoyed it, I did
    Last edited by MarkL; 29th-October-2014 at 08:48 AM.
    MarkL
    www.canoemassifcentral.com
    Canoe outfitting packages in the Massif Central

Oh, how different to my paddling weekend!

Having done much of this section in August, I can see how perfect it would be for testing the new paddle out. Glad you like it.

For anyone wishing to repeat this pleasant paddle; http://www.paddlepoints.net?PP=6153
    Covering as many malmiles as possible before being distracted by the pub!

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Journal Entries

So are the next 48 days just going to be paddling days with the new canoe, cause that would be a great run of presents, especially with a paddling location like that handy.
    John

I started at the bottom and I like it here

Looks like a lovely time of year to be paddling in your neck of the woods. What a great idea with the 50 days leading up to the big day.

Lovely looking paddle, fabulous in cherry. I borrowed one for a short time earlier in the year and have had one on my "must have" list ever since.
    Mike

Tim made one for me too in a lovely piece of curly grain cherry. Top drawer paddles

It wasn't a birthday treat but a reward for finishing the Peterborough. I need to bring the Chestnut and paddle that river and the Cele!
    Get Paddling!

Blott

Crow is offline こんにちは。私はカラスと私はスコットラ ンドの出身で す。
    Journal Entries

Wow. It does look like a stunning part of the world to paddle in.

Must get over there one day.

Thanks for posting.

"I stepped up on the platform. The man gave me the news. He said - you must be joking, son, where did you get those shoes?"

Crow Trip Log

Looks like a lovely place to paddle and quiet too this time of year. Perfect.

Oh and the paddle looks nice too .
    Matto

Ours was the marsh country, down by the river, within, as the river wound, twenty miles of the sea.

a lovely time of the year and a great place to test the new paddle.

Hi guys

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey
    Oh, how different to my paddling weekend!
    Well do tell then ....

Quote Originally Posted by MagiKelly
    So are the next 48 days just going to be paddling days with the new canoe ...
    If only John. I'm back to Geneva at the weekend having signed myself into more IT related slavery for another 6 months. I am however taking the Outlander and the paddle in an attempt to produce a Swiss blog or two.

Quote Originally Posted by elveys
    Looks like a lovely time of year to be paddling in your neck of the woods. What a great idea with the 50 days leading up to the big day.
    Yeah it is generally a good time then it drops like a stone but is still sunny most of the time during the day. The birthday idea is typical Louise and I can only be grateful for it.

Quote Originally Posted by 25272527
    Lovely looking paddle, fabulous in cherry. I borrowed one for a short time earlier in the year and have had one on my "must have" list ever since.
    I once used one briefly that MattT had and seemed to get on with it well. Louise must have put in a load of work to capture that comment and turn it into the gift. The paddle itself is better than I could have hoped for and Tim is a star ... Louise has since told me about the constant exchange of emails, ideas and help from Tim, what can I say really ?

Quote Originally Posted by Blott
    Tim made one for me too in a lovely piece of curly grain cherry. Top drawer paddles
    It has a twin ! Wonderful. It is also good to know that when you give me your Chestnut, I'll have a suitable paddle. You'd be very welcome here anytime I actually get home fella.

Quote Originally Posted by Crow
    Wow. It does look like a stunning part of the world to paddle in.

Must get over there one day.
    Ditto for M. Crow. I suspect it would be an interesting visit but from what I've seen you'd probably enjoy the area. It has a lot to offer in a very rural, timeless sort of way.

Quote Originally Posted by Matto
    Looks like a lovely place to paddle and quiet too this time of year. Perfect.

Oh and the paddle looks nice too
    There are a hell of a lot worse places to be based. Cheers mate

Quote Originally Posted by jimmi
    a lovely time of the year and a great place to test the new paddle
    I get quite selfish at this time, any tourists have now gone and the valleys are mine again. I'm the only bloke for miles around who'd be on the rivers in a canoe. I also got greetings and a wave from a fisherman on this run - all very different to the land of my birth.

Thanks guys, as anyone who has been here knows, I'll do my best to offer hospitality for dignitaries visiting from a far off land.
    MarkL
    www.canoemassifcentral.com
    Canoe outfitting packages in the Massif Central