Thread: The Wonderful Waveney

Default The Wonderful Waveney

At 6.00am on Saturday I was out walking the FCD under a clear and beautiful starlit sky. A great start to the morning with a 5 degree chill to keep you on the move. Now a Black lab on a dark morning in a field is not the best start to the day as he vanished for a while and then came back emitting the odour and demeanour of a hound that had eaten something which he knew he shouldn't. I had packed the car and loaded the canoe on Friday evening as I had an early start to collect Paul. I left the stairgate open so smelly breath farty pants could go up and wake daughter in the way that only a dog can.

Paul announced that he had been on the beer and curry Friday night; great news as I was going to be closeted with him for an hour and a half whilst we drove to deepest, darkest Suffolk. Normally in the Land Rover it wouldn't bother me but today in order to make rapid progress across East Anglia and to get under a low barrier we were cosseted in the leather of the BMW; ho humm where's the Febreze?

We arrived at the Pocket Park at Homersfield on the River Waveney at about 8.40am. Everything was quickly unloaded and I left Paul with the gear, a coffee and a bacon roll whilst I drove to Bungay to leave the car at the Riverside Centre which would be our destination for the day. I then grabbed the 09.15am 80 Bus at the end of Staithe Road which got me back to Homersfield for 9.35am. An easy shuttle which had worked to plan. Paul had moved the canoes and gear to the other bank as whilst there is a canoe platform in the park, a fisherman had taken up residence on it

And off we went with a pretty good flow on which we would make good progress on this lovely stretch of interesting, narrow and meandering River Waveney.

This is the start at Homersfield.

The weather and conditions were fantastic and 25th October we were paddling in shirt sleeves

The remnants of the old bridge were ready to catch the unwary

We were rewarded with some early Kingfisher sightings, herons, Buzzards, Kestrals. All on this lovely stretch of the Waveney

There were a few trees down and small blockages but all could be negotiated without the need to portage

We were working towards Earsham which was originally the home of The Otter Trust but as they have been so successful, it is now closed.

We didn't see any otters but Paul saw signs, foot prints etc on the muddy banks. So they are around but not captive. We were making good time in the autumn sunshine.

Now this would suit me as a nice weekend pad. It could be a nice des res with the help of George Clarke

Willows were abundant along this stretch which meandered over the flood plain as we passed the aviation museum

The normal crowds were out to observe progress

We stopped for lunch at the weir where the EA had put in a canoe portage platform. Below the pool is some typical East Anglian white water and rapids which Paul went and inspected before we ran them.

We then moved on towards Bungay

As you reach Bungay you have a left or right choice of channels to take. We chose correctly and went right which draws you down a channel bisecting peoples gardens, under bridges and full of riffles. It was a quick roller coaster ride down towards the start of the Bungay Loop

We followed the Loop around as I wanted to check on how the refurbishment and landscaping of my future home was getting on...

It's looking good

The colours of autumn were coming in

Last time I did this trip and blogged it these trees had been blown over in the storms and had ripped the bank up. They cut the trees off and the bank dropped back.

Now

The locals were not impressed

We then approached Bungay for the 2nd time on this trip

We finished our journey above the weir at the Bungay Riverside centre which is the home of the Waveney Canoe Club. On such a nice day this resource was sadly unused as there was no other paddlers enjoying this great day. The only people we saw was a family of four in a snub ended hire canoe who were intent on doing military paddling ( left right, left right, left right....) around the Loop

This was a 4 hour paddle on a truly wonderful section of river and Paul and I both voted it as one of our best paddles. Ever changing scenery and river. A nice secret river. Next time we will try the stretch upstream from Homersfield.

There is a great River Guide here http://groupspaces.com/RiverWaveneyT...ges/guide-book

Hope you enjoyed sharing our trip; we thoroughly enjoyed it. Paul paddled his Argosy fuelled by, beer, curry and wind. I paddled my Bell Chestnut Prospector fuelled by enthusiasm to see what was around the next bend.
    Get Paddling!

Blott

Grwat Blogg And I look forward to paddling it next week...............

Not today apparently
    SF Peterborough 14'
    weighs 7 Stone! 44.5kg
    Bell Yellowstone (so light)

Enjoyed that, thankyou. Looks like my sort of thing.
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

That looked like a lovely trip, I'm a huge fan of autumn paddles - thanks for sharing Blott.
    Hope the refurb on the future house goes well - as I paddle my way around the Southern Lakes I too keep an eye on a number of future houses which have taken my fancy!
    Andy,
    (Cumbria)

Quote Originally Posted by OLD MAN View Post
    Enjoyed that, thankyou. Looks like my sort of thing.
    you should try it Paul there is nice caravan and campsite at Bungy, Outney meadow caravan site

Quote Originally Posted by davidfletcher View Post
    you should try it Paul there is nice caravan and campsite at Bungy, Outney meadow caravan site

Thanks David, I'll give it a Google
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

That definitely looks like my sort of trip.

Thanks for sharing.
    Covering as many malmiles as possible before being distracted by the pub!

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Nice blog, Blott. Not been hearing the song of the paddle recently but you have sparked it off again.
    Did that trip last summer and spent half of it punting through thick reeds. Felt like I was Humphrey Bogart in the African Queen!
    We we use the Outney meadow campsite a lot. It's opposite the fallen trees. Camp on the rally field and you are behind the hedge on the bank. Use their launch ramp or just drop in off the bank.
    An hour further downstream is the Lock pub at Geldeston. That's also the limit of navigation. Another 20 miles gets you to Oulton Broad and even the sea, if you want. I keep threatening to do that trip as a fast day's paddle: maybe next year...
    -------
    My wife says my real hobby is collecting hobbies. Canoeing must be one of the prizes of my collection, then!

Hi Blott,
    Congratulations on this wonderful account of your trip on our local river. Wonderful set of pictures too. I'm preparing a news item on blockages on the Waveney for our web site http://waveneyvalleycanoeclub.org.uk Would you mind if I used one of your photos. I would be happy to credit you as the source and link to your blog.
    Thanks, Chismscoot.