Thread: What boat to build?

Default What boat to build?

Hi all,
    Looking for advice on what boat to build next.
    I built my Wastwater (stitch and glue) without too much trouble, and would like to build a cedar strip as my next project.

My canoe experience is limited to:
    16ft/17ft Colemans.
    14ft Kevlar (only had a short go in this, and don't know the make).
    16ft Wastwater (pirogue).

My requirements are (in no particular order):
    A boat which will be paddled mostly solo, with limited carrying capacity.
    A lightish and rigid hull (like kevlar or stitch and glue, and unlike my old Coleman).
    A boat which is easy-ish to handle, but capable in easy WW (don't know the grading of WW, sorry).
    An aesthetically pleasing appearance.

Any help much appreciated
    Last edited by davidh; 4th-June-2007 at 10:52 AM.

Having now done my homework (the deafening since spoke volumes, and I can take a hint!) I have decided to put Bear Mountain's Bob's Special at the top of my short-list.

Anyone have any experience of building one and/or paddling one?

Hi David

I will be starting a Bob Special or Soul Mate soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Budvar View Post
    Hi David

I will be starting a Bob Special or Soul Mate soon.

Hi Budvar,
    Are you in the UK, and have you sourced materials?
    Cheers.

David,

I am in the UK, just south of Edinburgh.
    I havent got round to sourcing anything yet as i am in the process of building a workshop to work in, I hope to make a start on the canoe within the next couple of weeks (as soon as the shop is finished). Are you having difficulties sourcing anything? Have you got your plans yet? What other boats did you consider?

BTW:
    I will going to the Bear Mountain boat shop in September as I will be visiting in-laws who live about half an hour away in Peterborough.

I am in the UK, just south of Edinburgh.
    I havent got round to sourcing anything yet as i am in the process of building a workshop to work in, I hope to make a start on the canoe within the next couple of weeks (as soon as the shop is finished). Are you having difficulties sourcing anything? Have you got your plans yet? What other boats did you consider?

BTW:
    I will going to the Bear Mountain boat shop in September as I will be visiting in-laws who live about half an hour away in Peterborough.
    I looked at various boats and boat kits on the web (and the Fyneboats range - of which my Wastwater is one).
    What I decided in the end was to make a wish-list of the features I wanted incorporated in my new boat, then find a reputable dealer who could provide plans and support - hence Bear Mountain and the Bob's Special. Soul Mate looks nice too though.

I don't have my boat plans as yet. First job is to convert my garage into a workshop (mindful of the dust and general mess which is still around after my last build two years ago dust extraction is a big consideration - see the thread on sensitivity to iroko).

So, I'll be buying the Canoe Paddles and Canoecraft books this week from Amazon. Once my shop is finished I'll do a couple of paddles to get my woodworking skills up to scratch, then I'll probably get the plans in Sept, and start from there.

Be interested to hear what the Bear Mountain Boat Shop is like - and if there is any difficulty in getting materials (I haven't tried, but anticipate the odd problem, from what I've read eleswhere.

Cheers.
    Last edited by davidh; 15th-June-2007 at 07:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by davidh View Post
    So, I'll be buying the Canoe Paddles and Canoecraft books this week from Amazon. Once my shop is finished I'll do a couple of paddles to get my woodworking skills up to scratch, then I'll probably get the plans in Sept, and start from there.
    Cheers.
    Having started my build in February and waiting ages for the epoxy to set I'd advise starting your build when the temperature is still reasonable - that is unless you have the luxury of a heated workshop.
    Gibbo.
    _____________________________________________________________ ________
    http://gibboscanoe.blogspot.com/ Please click on the adverts: it earns me money...

Hi Gibbo,

Good point about cold and epoxy cure rate. Thanks for flagging this up.

I didn't have this problem with the Wastwater since that was a summer build.
    Something else to factor in.

Default build, build, build!

Hello David,

Sorry I didn't catch the start of this thread, wouldn't want you to think no-one cared about your future build!

Everyone has different ideas about what shape, style and finish they want from a canoe, but your list of requirement probably fits what all could agree on.

if your planning a ceadrstrip build, then "Canoecraft" (the builders bible, in my opinion) is an excellent book and can be sourced through the web, with ease. If your ever drifting over towards Glasgow, I'd be happy to introduce you to "Driftwood" and my next project cedarstrip, if I can help, please ask. (a sentiment shared by many on this site).

Good luck,

Canoecraft is an excellent book. A really good read and much more than an instruction/reference book. Essential reading.

David,
    How involved is your build going to be? Are you planning to select the wood and mill your own strips etc?

Looking forward to getting started on mine. Think I will go for the Ranger instead now.

Canoecraft is an excellent book. A really good read and much more than an instruction/reference book. Essential reading.

David,
    How involved is your build going to be? Are you planning to select the wood and mill your own strips etc?

Looking forward to getting started on mine. Think I will go for the Ranger instead now.
    Driftwood, thanks for the support and offer of help.
    I agree that the book Canoecraft looks great, and am ordering mine today.

Budvar, I don't want to buy a kit, and I'd like to select some wood, so I'm currently thinking that I'll source and buy ready-cut strips, but do the rest myself.

"I will go for the Ranger instead now"

Yep, I'm like that too - (every time I trawl through the boat sites). That's why I've chosen one boat and I'm going to stick to it!

Hello Everyone,
    I am new to the forum, but I thought I would add my two cents. I have just finished my ranger and would highly recommend it to anyone interested in building their own. It paddles like a dream and was relatively easy to construct (this was my first boat).
    I highly suggest Canoecraft, my copy has the battle scars that prove its worth!
    I documented my entire build at www.frankscanoe.blogspot.com, check it out, it will give youan idea of what is involved for this type of project.
    I hope this helps, good luck with your build.

Default Milling WR Cedar Strips / Obtaining Marine Plywood

If anyone is building North of the Border; I am looking into the pros and cons of milling and routering bead and cove strips from WRC or similar as I have the necessary machines and sourcing Marine Plywood at a sensible price using my timber buying contacts. I would be interested in knowing what people have been paying for the same from Robbins/Edens or similar and whether or not people would be interested in bulk buying ?

Default Self Build options

hello David

I am currently building a cedar and canvas woodstrip, a prospector, and have my own spindle moulder for cutting the bead and cove. I have always bought my cedar from Timbmet in glasgow, and the prices seem to fluctuate, my first build was, in terms of timber for planking, about 40 cheaper than my second! this, i was informed, was due to shipping costs etc, but cant confirm this. there are certain woods, such as Ash, that i would consider being involved in a bulk buy, as it is expensive stuff, but my biggest problem has always been the quality, getting decent lengths of relatively knot free timber, when you don't get to sort through the pile yourself!