Thread: Putting paddling places on a map?

Romsey, Paddle estuaries within an hour, also club member and coach, and scout canoeing helper

Default Putting paddling places on a map?

Hi,
    The list of places is great, BUT is there any way they could be organised to be accessible from a map (like the members googlemap)? That would be really neat.

Until we have the same rights to paddle as the Scots, I'd find it useful to have a directory of waters I can paddle and locations of places to get on and off the water.

If we could include counties and map references in the posts it would help those who come after us - unless of course you'd rather not have hordes of paddlers cluttering up your favourite quiet stretch of water.
    Brevan,
    1664 - a great year for river access
    Romsey, Hampshire
    Twitter: BrevanM
    Follow my blog at http://riveraccessrights.blogspot.com/

Journal Entries

I do not have any knowledge of the places in England to paddle but if any reviews of places are posted by members, with access info etc I will port it over to the main site.

Linking this to the Googlemap is not possible at the moment but this should be pssible in the next upgrade of the hack. What I can do for future place reviews is include a small map of the UK with a cross where the place is.

In fact it may be possible on the places page to have a map showing the UK with markers where the places are and clicking on these takes you to the review. In fact now that I think about it this can be done so I will try and make the alteration next time I am upgrading the web site but we still need the reviews of places in England, Wales and Ireland with the information to make the review useful to visitors.
    John

I started at the bottom and I like it here

monkey_pork is offline a wind age, a wolf age - before the world goes headlong Super Moderator

Later this week (hopefully later this week, once work starts to slow to maybe 50 hours a week), I'll post up a couple of reviews of the South Devon waterways I use a lot (or I do when I'm not working every day of the week ... ).

These will be:

River Dart (tidal section), including the Hems and the Harbourne.
    [Devon] River Avon (tidal section).

I've been meaning to do this for a while now, so it'll get me thinking.

Journal Entries

Reviews of places outside Scotland will be more difficult as it will need to include information about where you are allowed to paddle, permits and the like. Stuff I still struggle to get my head round. Of course all entries will be finished of with a "This is to the best of my knowledge and information should be checked before relying on it" type disclaimer.

I have checked the software and I can add hot spots to a map picture to link straight to reviews. I think to get the maps at a scale where different routes do not overlap I will need to use a separate map for Scotland, Wales and Ireland. England may need to be split in two as well. Of course all this will become redundant as soon as the Googlemap update is available but as there is no definite timescale for that update we will go with what is possible now.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by MagiKelly
    Reviews of places outside Scotland will be more difficult as it will need to include information about where you are allowed to paddle, permits and the like.
    The 2006 BCU handbook just flopped onto my doormat.

I could let you have it, or transcribe bits, if it helps, but it assumes BCU membership...

Jim.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JimH
    The 2006 BCU handbook just flopped onto my doormat.

I could let you have it, or transcribe bits, if it helps, but it assumes BCU membership...

Jim.
    Thanks for the offer but I would prefer real life reviews and information from those that have paddled the areas. I will probably be getting a copy of the BCU book anyway just for information.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by MagiKelly
    Thanks for the offer but I would prefer real life reviews and information from those that have paddled the areas. I will probably be getting a copy of the BCU book anyway just for information.
    Fairy nuff. I was thinking more of perms/access info than reviews/paddling info in any case.

Jim.