Thread: wild camping in scotland

Default wild camping in scotland

hi
    i am looking for somewere close to the border where i can practice a bit of paddleing and wild camping without upsetting anyone and brakeing any laws

thanks

Default Galloway

Have a look at the various lochs in the Galloway Forest Park.

Loch Ken is not really very wild though you will see from one of the recent threads that the woods at the NW end might be ok. You would be better served by some of the other nearby lochs slightly to the west which are more wooded.

Loch Doon slightly further north in the same area is described in the SCU guide as "Canadian" - parts of the area around loch Doon were affected by the recent forest fires I understand so you might want to check that out first.
    Aslan

Emmerdale, also know as Bradford sewage works

see the Loch Trool post

It's not Scotland but - Keilder? as a single lake this is a bit of a goody.

Liddesdale - is spectacularly remote by UK standards and less remote but still nice - the valley of the Border Esk from Langholm down.

I'd say the Galloways is your best bet. Loch Doon is really busy and also covered in litter, but if you stick to the east bank it quite nice. I was paddling the Ness Glenn(the first Km of the River Doon) 2 or 3 weeks ago and saw some evidence of gorse fires but the forrests seemed unaffected.
    Glenn Trool is realy nice but the midges are rampant and Eds had some problems with the locals.
    My recommendation would be Loch Bradan, its not the biggest loch but should be enough to keep you busy for the weekend. Access and wild camping are no problem.
    If you are looking for something more challenging find TenBoats Galloway blogg, that boy knows how to get the most out of a weekend paddle!

Best of luck

Magic

Quote Originally Posted by DougR View Post
    It's not Scotland but - Keilder? as a single lake this is a bit of a goody.
    Kielder has a charge to paddle on it (along with some rules about not going out on your own) and there is no wild camping.

Depending on your paddling ability the Tweed is nice, if you're comfortable on easy grade three then it's ideal (and you could always portage worst bits). Can get low during the dry bits of the summer, but it's still paddleable.

thanks guys