Thread: Ray Mears?? Meet Fred Neegan - Cree indian

Default Ray Mears?? Meet Fred Neegan - Cree indian

As an alternative to Ray Mears I offer you this man:-

Fred Neegan

[IMG][/IMG]

This gentleman of the river knows far more about surviving in the wild and/or bushcraft than most folk.

Fred is Ojibway/cree indian from Mattice on the Missinaibi River in Ontario. He's spent most of his life in the woods and on the river, paddling & hunting, guiding parties of both hunters and canoeists. He knows this river and some other local rivers better than any other living human. The great boreal forests hold no fear for Fred, for it is his home. He has two hunting cabins he built along the river. He knows the use of everything in the forest. Every noise he can identify. And if he needs to, he knows how to catch and/or kill it too. Fred is a real hunter and man of the forests.

He's probably the best canoeist you'll ever meet as well. Ok, he can't or won't have much to say about fancy J strokes, or whether the stroke you've just shown him is a knifed this or reversed that. He probably doesn't really care either. I asked a guide whose paddled with him what his canoeing was like. "He doesn't look like he's paddling" I was told, as his paddling skills are completely effortless. At one time or another Fred has canoed down most of the rapids on the Missinaibi and poled back up them too. I don't know whether Fred cares about grades either. If its a rapid and its canoeable then Fred can run it or pole it. When asked how well he knows the river, he says he knows every stone and rock in it, you know he's not exaggerating!

He's a minimilist too. What you see is what you get. Fred's wearing his canoeing gear. And his hunting gear. It was also his shopping gear on this day. Most of his equipment is bought from the local hardware shop in Mattice. No fancy knives or axes for Fred.

He has no web site, doesn't advertise either. But he's well know in the northern boreal forests. He;s probably the only living first nation person to have a memorial erected whilst still alive:-

[IMG][/IMG]

He can carry the heaviest load on portages too. He's 83!! and not about to give up. Whilst we were talking the mention of another guided trip came up which involved long portages over difficult trails. Fred was keen to go, saying; "I want to know if I can still do it".

So if you want to learn how to survive in the forest, learn real bushcraft and canoeing from a real expert, whose been there lived it and done it, contact Fred, now! before its too late.
    Last edited by David Perry; 26th-July-2014 at 06:48 AM.
    http://www.davidwperry.blogspot.co.uk/

Thanks for sharing that, what a fascinating life he must have led.

Brilliant! A life that has been - and is still being - lived to the full!
    Juvanile delinkwit, vaguely faffing around with a pair of pliers. Du skal ikke tro at du er bedre end mig!

What a character, we don't seem to breed men like this anymore.

I like his saying "If you want to live long, You have to smile at your problems"
    "Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men"
    Grp Cpt Sir Douglas Bader CBE,DSO,DFC,FRAeS.

Journal Entries

sounds like the kind of person I'd love to met on a river and share a coffee and chat
    JD
    He knows not where he's going, For the ocean will decide, It's not the destination, It's the glory of the ride

A wonderful character. Glad they still exist! with no website or advertising, how does anyone contact him. ? Not that I'm going to but how would you.? maybe its the old " he will find you!!"

What a character.

I loved this line...

Fred's wearing his canoeing gear. And his hunting gear. It was also his shopping gear on this day.
    Thanks for sharing
    If I could only paddle like a doggie oughta paddle

Fred is easily contacted I guess.

Fred Neegan,
    Mattice
    Ontario
    Canada.

I doubt there's anyone in Mattice (medium English village size but spread out) who doesn't know everyone else in the village sort of thing.

He does a lot of guiding for outfitters like http://www.missinaibi.com . His reputation precedes him on the river. Ten or twelve years ago when we were getting out after a trip on the River, Fred came over and asked me what the water levels were like. As I recognised him and knew his reputation on the river i was slightly intimidated. I mean this guy has more paddling experience than most people can even dream of. He's paddled and poled up and down the river (and numerous others too) in almost every river state possible. Needless to say he didn't recognise me when we bumped into him again a couple of weeks ago!

I just wonder what he thinks when he's sees some of the attempts at so called 'bushcraft' as done by paddlers & hunters he guides, or indeed the prices some people charge for doing things he just does whenever he needs to in the course of everyday life?

Devon ..just up from the bottom and right a bit.

I accept your offer of a Ray Mears alternative... I do worry ..he looks a bit materialistic wearing two of his hats at once.. Perhaps he's seen that weird program set on the Canadian US border .. Twin Peaks.

Seriously though.. This man has probably forgotten more about wilderness than I will ever know..

Crow is offline こんにちは。私はカラスと私はスコットラ ンドの出身で す。
    Journal Entries

Just saw this.

Respect!

Here comes the future and you can't run from it
    If you've got a blacklist I want to be on it

Crow Trip Log

Journal Entries

Glad to see there are still Oja-Cree paddling.
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

Fantastic. If I live to 83 I'll be happy, let alone still doingbwhat he does.....

What an Inspiration! Thanks for that .
    To travel alone is a risky business, especially in the wilderness; equally risky is to have dreams and not follow them.

Just North of Portsmouth. "Over the hill".

There's a guy I'd like to meet. Respect!
    Who's been sleeping in my porridge???

Alas Fred Neegan has died earlier this month. More information and pictures on facebook Fred Neegan - Stories of the Man and His River

Alas Fred Neegan has died earlier this month. More information and pictures on facebook https://www.facebook.com/Fred-Neegan...9OwN_5UeuRbpDU