Thread: River Verdon-France

Default River Verdon-France

Hi
    I'm looking for info on the Castellane to Pont de Taloire stretch of the River Verdon. My guide: "Whitewater-South Alps" tells me its grade 2(3) and says where to get on and off. There's no other info so I presume there's nothing that can't be dealt with as we find it. Anyone with any knowledge of this section that can confirm that?
    Thanks, Peter.

I paddled it once when I was about 13... Eons ago - yes there are certainly grade 3 bits.

Straightforward, read and run grade 3? Don't suppose you recall if they can be inspected/portaged? There's only two of us paddling it and, if I know I can probably have a look and maybe have options other than having to run something, that'd be handy.

Pretty sure what I had seen was portage-able. It's was almost 30 years ago, so you'd be better off getting some more up to date info. Surely there's more info out there?? It was a bit like the Ardeche when I was there with hire boats and families paddling etc..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Being the inquisitive type, I had a quick look around.

Dutch site: http://www.de-batavier.nl/wildwater/...krijk-seealpen
    Middle Verdon Castellane to Pont de Taloire. 6 miles WW II +. Superb training program. At high water difficult. Boarding at the bridge in Castellane
    Seems to back up it being reasonable in normal levels.

I also found this outstanding hiking/packrafting blog whihc doesn't help you much, but might inspire you! http://dzjow.com/tag/castellane/
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Thanks, both -

Found the blog already and, yes, it was inspiring - also found lots of info about the pre-canyon section, and the canyon itself, neither section which we'll be paddling!

2+ sounds good to me - I'll check it out when I'm there and see what's normal; what's high, etc.

Hopefully heading out to the Verdon in September and hoping to do a bit of paddling. Did you head out and paddle the sections you were hoping to? Starting to research paddling options so would be good to hear if you managed to canoe the section you were hoping to or got ay further down to Pont De Soleil or even Point Sublime.
    Last edited by elveys; 3rd-June-2019 at 05:14 PM.