Thread: We had a plan to go for a paddle but...

Default We had a plan to go for a paddle but...

It was a funny old weekend really, we had intended taking our nice 'new' canoe out that we had just bought from a gentleman who's Uncle bought it second hand in 1939 and who thought it was a Tyne. However once we had got it home and consulted with a couple of people we came to the conclusion that it was a klepper. Anyway whichever make it was we had intended taking her for a little paddle down the Pocklington Canal again to see if we could work out where she was leaking. We had only had her wet on a very short paddle the weekend before but had to go to a birthday bash so I was looking forward to a longer paddle. But the best lain plans of mice and men......

We ended up buying another folding canoe but this time it was a Tyne with a full sailing rig but I have as yet to work out what model it is or how old it is.

We are going to have to get a new skin sorted out for it before we can use it so I'm going to have a go at making one but any advice on the best fabric to use would be gratefully received also any tips on rigging as I've never sailed anything and my husband has only ever sailed dinghy's .

One last little question, How have we ended up with 3 canoes?

Crow is offline こんにちは。私はカラスと私はスコットラ ンドの出身で す。

Quote Originally Posted by big drip View Post
    One last little question, How have we ended up with 3 canoes?
    Easily done!

There are worse cases than you on here...

Here comes the future and you can't run from it
    If you've got a blacklist I want to be on it

Crow Trip Log

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    Easily done!

There are worse cases than you on here...

I know, I think it must be catching.

Yeah, sometimes you just lose concentration, and suddenly there's another canoe...

The Klepper looks interesting.
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post

The Klepper looks interesting.
    It was Mal, after our SF Prospector it seemed very twitchy but that could just be that we have not been in a canoe for over a year.

Looks great!!
    Pesky things those canoes they just multiply.
    To Canoe is to be moved!!!

Shortly to be found near The Wissey Norfolk

Make contact with Ian , Idc is his forum tag. He has a real dose of the Kleppers and skin on frame boats and can help with advice etc about a new skin. It will never sail as it looks in the photo!
    Get Paddling!

Blott

I know Bonehead, that's why we need to get the prospector sold.

Thanks Blott, There isn't any hurry about us getting it done as I want to finish restoring our camper before I tackle sewing a skin. Having said that, I want to sew a trial skin in some cheap cotton first to check the fit before I start on the more expensive fabrics.

You might look at yostwerks.com There are plans for folding kayaks although I have never done one.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcUp View Post
    You might look at yostwerks.com There are plans for folding kayaks although I have never done one.
    thanks, I will.

Dear Janet,
    Sorry that I didn't reply earlier. I have just got back to the UK and found your message waiting. Nice looking boats!

I'm not an expert in this, but as Nick (Blott) knows, I have fallen into the bad habit of acquiring old folding canoes/kayaks and I have a couple that are awaiting a patch of spare time for repairs. As a result I have done some research on making skins and am happy to share my findings. I notice that Marcup has already pointed you at Yostwerks. Tom Yost has, I think, probably the easiest method for making a new skin, gluing together pvc being considerably easier than sewing and gluing together hypalon/rubber/canvas. Consequently I have gone so far as to buy the relevant materials. I just haven't yet found the time to do the gluing. (Life is a bit busy at present.)

Look here for the basic method: http://www.yostwerks.com/SkinMenu.html

You will still probably have to do some improvisation to suit your Klepper or Tyne, however, I do not think you will find a more comprehensive set of instructions on the web.

If on the other hand you have a skin that simply needs some patching you could try the method referred to here of patching it up with sikaflex:
    http://foldingkayaks.org/phpBB/viewt...p=31229#p30597
    http://foldingkayaks.org/phpBB/viewt...hilit=sikaflex
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZngaDDdmk6M

I recommend the foldingkayaks website by the way for further questions relating to Kleppers. (They haven't so many Tyne folders on there, but the principles are much the same and the more of us join the more information will be available there.) If you search on 'sikaflex' you'll find other threads there relating to using it for repairs.

Finally, I was fortunate enough to purchase an old T9 Klepper from the 1960s with a hull that only needed a couple of hypalon keel strips to cover where the skin had cracked along fold lines, and the odd patch. I purchased a two part adhesive designed for hypalon repairs (search using those terms, perhaps also 'rib') and patched it up and it has been holding up well for a few years now. It is a nasty smelly job requiring prepping surfaces with sandpaper, acetone and toluene, and I'd highly recommend a respirator and a well-ventilated area. I wrote to Klepper and they offered good advice on repairs. I was impressed by their support. I imagine they would be very interested to hear of your 1930's Klepper and they are probably worth contacting on that basis alone.

I hope all that helps.
    Good luck with the repairs, and if you get a chance, please document them online as you go, either here or on 'foldingkayaks.org', so that others can benefit from your experiences.
    Ian

PS I bought my pvc from here on a recommendation I read on this forum. They also have canvas available.
    http://www.attwoollsmanufacturing.co.uk/

Thanks Idc,
    I have already contacted Klepper regarding a few clips that are broken on our T6 and they just didn't seem interested and just said they only do spares for the current models so I didn't think they would help regarding the skin on the Tyne. I want to restore the Tyne to look as original as possible as we want it to go with our classic camper so I don't want to use PVC and I do want to sew it. I have done the upholstery on the camper so a canoe shouldn't be too difficult.
    I will have a look at the website later

I admire your ambition and determination. :-)

Please let us know how it works out, what material you eventually decide to use, and how you seal it against moisture. There may be leads for you on this page:
    http://www.kayarchy.co.uk/html/01equ...erialsineurope

All the best,
    Ian

If I ever manage to get round to it I will.

At the risk of posting too much on this, I just found that there is a Percy Blandford appreciation facebook group. A couple of posts down at 9th July 1:04 is a question about fabrics, and a response from someone who has reskinned their PBKayak with a rubberised canvas found on ebay. I thought this might be of interest to you:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/42265674352/

All the best,
    Ian

If you are paddling on the Pocklington canal then you are very close to me, I live at North Cave about 18 miles away and my wife is a tailor. If you need any assistance or advice on handling, cutting, or sewing your fabric, or making of patterns, please get in touch we would be happy to help.

Calefactio orbis? Culus meus!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rimfire View Post
    If you are paddling on the Pocklington canal then you are very close to me, I live at North Cave about 18 miles away and my wife is a tailor. If you need any assistance or advice on handling, cutting, or sewing your fabric, or making of patterns, please get in touch we would be happy to help.
    That's very kind of you Rimfire. I've done a fair amount of sewing but I'm no expert. I have just finished reupholstering my campervans seats so that tested my sewing skills and machine fairly comprehensively but a canoe is a whole different kettle of fish.

Quote Originally Posted by idc View Post
    At the risk of posting too much on this, I just found that there is a Percy Blandford appreciation facebook group. A couple of posts down at 9th July 1:04 is a question about fabrics, and a response from someone who has reskinned their PBKayak with a rubberised canvas found on ebay. I thought this might be of interest to you:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/42265674352/

All the best,
    Ian
    Thanks idc, Your right it is very interesting. The only problem is that my brain is groaning under all the new information that I'm trying to digest.