Thread: Home made firebox

Default Home made firebox

Just completed my firebox.
    450 x 300 x 200 deep, built to one of those patented designs that you just know will never catch on.
    It is collapsable, with 2 hinged sides and a ridiculous pinning method to join it all together.
    I'm very pleased with it, although I nearly gave myself a hernia trying to lift the thing off the floor.
    Typically, since I finished it I've discovered a nice design by Tentipi and one in Bill Mason's book, that in hindsight, maybe I should have used.

Will post some pictures in due course, just for the comedy value.

Will need additional air bags in canoe when transporting the thing!

I have one of the small Tentipi ones and I rate it very highly. It is very light for its size and packs really small. It does seem too flimsy though but after extensive use mine is still going strong. Must get round to doing a proper review some day.

Anyway looking forward to your pictures. A home made firebox is something you can be prouder of than a bought equivalent
    John

John,

Weight isn't too much of an issue, I guess.
    I could do with some sort of sturdy bag to keep it all together when collapsed and to aid transporting it.
    A zipped 'laptop' style case would be ideal, but like a proper numpty I've made the firebox too big to fit in one. Doh!
    Will have to make do with a couple of bin liners or maybe a smallish dry bag.

I have just made a canvas slip case for my Tentipi one to stop is sooting up everything and the sharp edges ripping into dry bags. You should be able to knock up something similar without too much hassle. It can't be any more difficult than making a firebox
    John

I can just picture the look on Mrs Newbond's face, as I (reluctantly) decline her invitation to redecorate the kitchen this weekend, and instead lock myself in the garage to make a canvas handbag-type-thingy.

Sewing is hardly my strongest point, but your suggestion has got me thinking.................

Quote Originally Posted by Newbond View Post
    I can just picture the look on Mrs Newbond's face, as I (reluctantly) decline her invitation to redecorate the kitchen this weekend, and instead lock myself in the garage to make a canvas handbag-type-thingy.

Sewing is hardly my strongest point, but your suggestion has got me thinking.................
    She can't have it both ways - if you have to redecorate the kitchen because thats mens work then she should take care of the sewing . Be careful though -she may not see it that way.

And please don't mention my name in any discussions you have on the subject.
    Keith

Don't mention anything like that to Mrs Stevesteve. The custom fitted bathroom cupboard is months behind because the workshop is full of the "bl##dy boat" project (my Father-inLaw's name for it!)
    Cheers,
    Steve

Keith,

For that comment, she will hunt you to the very ends of the Earth.
    Be afraid, be very afraid............

She is not a woman to be crossed, as I found out yesterday.

Newbond:
    "A woman was run over by a motorcyclist and killed only half a mile away from our house on Tuesday. Who do you think was to blame?"

Mrs Newbond:
    " I dunno, you muppet" (bless her)

Newbond:
    "The motorcyclist, of course. He shouldn't have been riding in the kitchen!"

It's surprising how fast you can run when you have to!

Here are the photos, with apologies if things don't work.

Firebox fully assembled.
    A long and a short side are hinged together, and the whole thing then pinned by two bars at opposite corners.

Double bottomed to prevent damage to ground

Kind of flat-packed.

(Help! Something's gone wrong with the sizing!)

Hope to try it out the weekend after next.

Sean

There is a strange similarity between threads (http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...ead.php?t=4556 ) on the site today. We men might just be digging a very big hole......
    Chris

That looks like a good sturdy firebox. Should do the job admirably
    John