Thread: Canvas kayak !

Default Canvas kayak !

I have just been given the the frame for a kayak similar to the one shown, and wondering if anyone has done anything similar. I have checked a few web sites and they are using a pvc tarpaulin any thoughts.

Tonymac

The third kayak I ever paddled looked a lot like that.
    The deck was done in the same sort of canvas used for boat covers (Sunbrella if you're in the US) - the hull in some sort of PVC coated stuff.

Geodesic Airolite are now using Dacron with hot melt glue and heat-shrinking - looks amazingly neat.

If you would like to do it th old way,you could try Irelanda canvas in limerick,they certainly used to keep a good heavy weight canvas in stock ,i used it to reskin an old pb15 which we paddled on the shannon eastaury for a few years .I used to give the hull canvas a coat of black bitumastic paint,may look a bit work man like ,but it tough never holed it once!you can leave the deck green and give it a coat of thomsons water seal which dries clear.use copper tacs to secure canvas,available from union chandlers in cork.

Thanks for the reply guys I will keep you posted with how I get on.

Tonymac

Try this site for ideas:

http://yostwerks.com/

I bought some polyester reinforced PVC from a company that makes advertising banners. I got the heavier grade normally used for curtainside trucks. Bulletproof.