Thread: Kimi river canoe plans.

Default Kimi river canoe plans.

Hi Guys,
    Does anyone have a set of the Kimi river canoe plans they would like to pass on. For interest only unless they are any better or easier than I already have. I have followed the links that other people on this forum have posted but Google tells me that the folder is empty. It would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Don
    You are right. I am old but your music really does suck and please pull your jeans up.

Hi Don,
    i may have a set I printed off some time ago, finding them could be a problem but I will have a look.
    will pm you with details if I find them.
    Tony

Thanks Tony,
    I had planned on building a 15.6 canoe but having marked it out on the floor I am having second thoughts, not to mention running out of space in my build area. If anyone can suggest any other free plans it would be very much appreciated. Having bought one set of plans I would like to avoid the cost of a second set.

Thanks,
    Don
    You are right. I am old but your music really does suck and please pull your jeans up.

Hi Don
    I've found a plan drawing of the Kymi River 16 ft Solo, I think I may have auto cad files for the plank measurements, will look later. It is one I would like to build as it has good fine lines for a solo. 5 planks per side.
    i could email you a copy if you pm me your email address.
    Of course, it may be too big for your building area?
    Tony

Don, did you receive the downloads?

Hi Tony,
    Yes thanks you mate. I owe you a couple of pints when we finally meet up.

Don

No probs, will hold you to that.

I have them in .pdf format. What's the easiest way to get them to you?

I have just sent you a PM Marco.
    Don

Hi Don
    did you make a start on the Kymi River?

Hi Chestnut Bob,
    No mate I haven't. Being desparate to get the kids out on the water last year I opted for a quick Lazy weekender pirogue. Unfortunately, due to ill health I had to stop work on it around November time last year at the painting stage. Funnily enough, Feeling much better today, (and the sun coming out), I have decided to go out there tomorrow to start again. I was going to do a blogg on it but as I am building in a large 6 berth tent at the rear of my house and its orange, every photo I tired to take came out orange and fuzzy. I will post a picture once its completed and out of the tent. I will hopefully be building the Kimi river in the spring as a solo for myself and my gear as I like to do a bit of stealth camping. Thanks for asking,

Don

Hello Tony,

I want to ask you a favor. Could you please send me the plans for the Kimi River canoe? I would like to start building it, but in my country, the plans cost as much as the materials ( plywood okoume)
    You would help me a lot by giving me the plans.

Sincerely,
    Bogdan

Hi Bogdan
    send me your email address and I'll send you the PDFs.
    it will be a few emails as they are quite large
    Tony

Hi Tony,

My email address is bogdanion22 on gmail.com ( I can't post email address yet)
    Thanks again for the help and I can't wait to begin this project.

Best regards,
    Bogdan

Emails sent
    good luck and don't forget to blog the build
    Chestnut Bob

Thanks for the plans and I hope I will start as soon as possible.

Best regards,
    Bogdan

Hi,
    does anyone have the plans for the Kymi River 16 (or any other version)? I'm looking for a pdf version of the plans if possible, but i cant find the plans at all except apeper version from a german boat shop where shipping will take too long. The google docs file from2007 has been removed and there is no link on woodenboat.com. I'd be happy to pay for the plans!
    Astrid

Hi Asteroid,
    If you send me your e-mail, I will send you the plans.

ATB,
    Don

Dan,
    That would be marvellous! my email is astrid.boe at gmail.com
    Thanks!!!

that's Don not Dan. sorry!

Hi Tony,

I would like to build a classic Kymi river canoe. Could you please share the plans with me if you have ones.

Thanks,
    Rathavuth

Quote Originally Posted by Chestnut Bob View Post
    Hi Don,
    i may have a set I printed off some time ago, finding them could be a problem but I will have a look.
    will pm you with details if I find them.
    Tony

Hi

I am very interested to build this too.

Mekong

Hi Mekong, PM me your email address and I'll push them across, there will be a few emails.
    Chestnut Bob

I found this Russian forum with Kimi river PDFs http://forum.katera.ru/index.php?/to...kanoe/page-166
    Alan

Guys,
    If anyone wants a set of Kimi river plans, I will forward them to you if you pm me with your e-mail address.

ATB,
    Don

Default Built in 1:1 and in 1:5

Dear Tony

long time ago you've sent me the pdfs for the kymi river solo canoe. Thank you for this.
    In the mean time I've built two of them:

-A 1:1 version built with plywood from kit, because of thinking that every designer deserves a small license fee for his work ;-)
    pics can be found on oeko-travel.org and on biber-boote.ch

-A version with a round bottom 1:5 scale designe by me, and built with with cedar strips called Biber Aare Trapper
    pics can be found on biber-boote.ch

All the best, and happy paddling
    Biber

Biber Boote Schweiz

Well done, the boat looks great, I haven't got on to mine yet as I'm still building three "Tadpoles" for my grandsons. I had some time off last year while I had a triple heart bypass, that knocked me back for a while.
    how did the Kymi paddle, is she fast.
    Tony

Tony, thank you for the flowers. They are highly appreciated.
    Really hope thta you're well again. And, yes, the boat works very well. I can paddle it about as fast as my guillemot wood strip sea kayak (nick schade design) when using a double blade paddle with this little canoe.
    The build is fast and easy. The only time consuming stuff was to add my decks and the air chambers. This needs some time. I like it. All the best, Beaver

and an advice: 1:1 plans may look good - no lofting needed. but be warned: Kymi River solo is a canoe with only sligthly bent planks. This means that they must be drawn and cut really precise to get a good boat. Because of this I think that it is way better to use the offsets instead of paper glued to the plywood. This means that i recommend to the lines for the planks direct onto the plywood. It is way more precise than using 1:1 drawings on paper for this. paper tends to change its dimensions depending on humidity, and this is especially tue on paper with a length of more than 4.5 meters. A few millimeters of deviation make for sure a not properly straking boat in the end. So I recommend to buy the plans, measure the offsets on them, and to transfer your offset measures to the planks. Or simply buy a cnc cut kit. This is the easiest way to get properly cut planks, and it is worth every buck. I'm not a newbie, but having some experience by building more than 15 boats in different techniques so far ...
    Enjoy your build!